• The KillerFrogs

Cannon opts out.

Wexahu

Eduardo Rodriquez has covid myocarditis.

Sounds awful. Seriously, I guess this is worth a news article and shutting him down, but people deal with health issues ALL THE TIME. I bet everyone here has had a 103 degree fever and a horrible headache and felt like absolute [ Finebaum ] for a few days. It's part of life. Why can we live with all these other things and just accept them as road bumps in life but we can't deal with COVID like rational human beings?

We're 5+ months into this thing, the virus has spread all over the world like wildfire, and thousands of athletes have contracted the virus and I'm not aware of one that was even hospitalized. Are you?

CountryFrog

With MC's past medical history then I think it would be unwise for him to play. Especially since he's already set for life financially (assuming he's been wise with his money) and has won multiple Super Bowls already as a key player on maybe the greatest dynasty in NFL history. Why the hell would he risk anything?

And I say this as someone who is a 100% proponent of life needing to move forward. I believe people should be able to decide for themselves if they want to play football and not have the decision forced upon them. If you're someone who wants to see sports continue then you also have to be supportive if those who decide NOT to play.

Wexahu

I’d say being overweight is probably the most common underlying condition when people have complications with covid.

I agree.

But while offensive lineman technically fall under the obese category, anyone with a brain can see that there's a difference between OL obese and Walmart-customer-on-a-Sunday-evening obese. Those are the people that are more high risk.

And I don't know this for a fact because HIPAA laws rightfully don't allow it, but I'd bet good money if you saw pictures of all the people under 70 years old who have unfortunately passed away from COVID, it would be eye-opening how unhealthy a vast majority of them were.

Wexahu

With MC's past medical history then I think it would be unwise for him to play. Especially since he's already set for life financially (assuming he's been wise with his money) and has won multiple Super Bowls already as a key player on maybe the greatest dynasty in NFL history. Why the hell would he risk anything?

And I say this as someone who is a 100% proponent of life needing to move forward. I believe people should be able to decide for themselves if they want to play football and not have the decision forced upon them. If you're someone who wants to see sports continue then you also have to be supportive if those who decide NOT to play.

I have no problem with him or anyone else for that matter not playing.

CountryFrog

Furthermore, if you're someone who wants sports to come back and stay back then I believe you should want any and every player who is high risk to NOT play.

Just imagine, God forbid, if someone like Cannon got the virus and actually died from it. Aside from the obvious tragedy of someone losing their life, all sports would shutdown immediately. No one would give a [ Finebaum ] about medical history and that it was a unique situation blah blah. That would be it for everything until a vaccine is created.

CountryFrog

I agree.

But while offensive lineman technically fall under the obese category, anyone with a brain can see that there's a difference between OL obese and Walmart-customer-on-a-Sunday-evening obese. Those are the people that are more high risk.

And I don't know this for a fact because HIPAA laws rightfully don't allow it, but I'd bet good money if you saw pictures of all the people under 70 years old who have unfortunately passed away from COVID, it would be eye-opening how unhealthy a vast majority of them were.
That's the thing about athletes. Using a straight weight/height ratio is useless. I believe under that metric LT was like 40 lbs overweight during his playing days.

Some O-linemen and a few DT's may be legitimately overweight with fat but the overwhelming majority of these guys are just in a totally different category physically that trying to compare them with normal people is pointless.

froginaustin

Sounds awful. Seriously, I guess this is worth a news article and shutting him down, but people deal with health issues ALL THE TIME. I bet everyone here has had a 103 degree fever and a horrible headache and felt like absolute [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] for a few days. It's part of life. Why can we live with all these other things and just accept them as road bumps in life but we can't deal with COVID like rational human beings?

We're 5+ months into this thing, the virus has spread all over the world like wildfire, and thousands of athletes have contracted the virus and I'm not aware of one that was even hospitalized. Are you?

Have you been paying attention to how many of the thousands of athletes all over the world have contacted the virus and not even hospitalized?

Asking for a friend . . ..

Moose Stuff

Sounds awful. Seriously, I guess this is worth a news article and shutting him down, but people deal with health issues ALL THE TIME. I bet everyone here has had a 103 degree fever and a horrible headache and felt like absolute [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] for a few days. It's part of life. Why can we live with all these other things and just accept them as road bumps in life but we can't deal with COVID like rational human beings?

It is awful. And I bet he still ends up being fine.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The charts that Our Betters in Government put out, showing a nice, narrow range of who is fat, not fat, obese, etc. are just so much crap. I believe that someone pointed out at the time of their release that numerous athletes would have been considered "obese" by the metrics presented, which is simply absurd.

Athletes, by the very nature of their training and fitness, would normally be at a lower risk for this. Age is also a strong factor. Yet, as is always the case, there are exceptions to any set of rules, and MC is certainly that. I would imagine that he has consulted his own doctors and gotten opinions as to relative risks and potential dangers due to his prior cancer and continuing treatments.

In the end, it's his decision. He is looking not just at this season, but in the many years ahead.

Yeah I pretty much agree- severe illnesses are going to be rare in athletes at their age and health level. But even mild illnesses can have a pretty big impact on performance and recovery time. In the MLB, there are a lot of "test positive only cases" that are no big deal, but the "mildly" affected players can be out for a long time- way longer than a typical flu or cold. Check out Scott Kingery's account. So while not ICU severe, from a sports perspective a "mild illness" can be pretty impactful to on the field performance and availability. I never remember any cold or flu illnesses knocking guys out like this.

“For a week, I was so tired. Low energy. Fatigue. Then I experienced shortness of breath for a week. I felt like I laid on the couch for three weeks without moving. I was tired just going up the stairs.”

Wexahu

Yeah I pretty much agree- severe illnesses are going to be rare in athletes at their age and health level. But even mild illnesses can have a pretty big impact on performance and recovery time. In the MLB, there are a lot of "test positive only cases" that are no big deal, but the "mildly" affected players can be out for a long time- way longer than a typical flu or cold. Check out Scott Kingery's account. So while not ICU severe, from a sports perspective a "mild illness" can be pretty impactful to on the field performance and availability. I never remember any cold or flu illnesses knocking guys out like this.

The NBC Sports article is almost comical in it's attempt to scare people.

....the hell that is the coronavirus
....If you don't believe this coronavirus thing is real, listen to what Scott Kingley says and you might change your mind
....after sweating out a raging fever

Almost reads like a propaganda piece, doesn't it? By the way, I haven't talked to one person that doesn't think it's real, so they can stop with that nonsense. Those that think that are in the very, very small minority.

It's good that Kingery is back, it appears he was one of the very few who actually had some noteworthy symptoms.

The NBC Sports article is almost comical in it's attempt to scare people.

....the hell that is the coronavirus
....If you don't believe this coronavirus thing is real, listen to what Scott Kingley says and you might change your mind
....after sweating out a raging fever

Almost reads like a propaganda piece, doesn't it? By the way, I haven't talked to one person that doesn't think it's real, so they can stop with that nonsense. Those that think that are in the very, very small minority.

It's good that Kingery is back, it appears he was one of the very few who actually had some noteworthy symptoms.
I do think cases like his can impact the opinions of other athletes. They aren't used to seeing anything like that kind of impact on their teammates. They hear Kingery describe his bout, E-Rod try to come back only to get shut down with myocarditis. That's some real world stuff they aren't used to seeing. And if you are an athlete with an underlying condition, I get why someone like Cannon would opt out. Especially if they are of the opinion the whole thing might get shut down anyway.

Eight

patrick chung and dont'a hightower apparently have also opted out of playing this year. three patriot reserves have also opted to sit out so marcus is far from alone in this decision.

froggolf65

Don't believe this is COVID related for Marcus. Think he has reached the point where he has his rings and doesn't want to deal with all the extras Bellichek requires.