• The KillerFrogs

Can we conclude NCAA is worthless: UNC gets no punishment

stbrab

Unbelievable. They created gimme courses for their "student athletes", but because other students were allowed to attend, their conclusion is there was no systematic effort to benefit only "student athletes"?

That's horse [ Finebaum ]!

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Did Art Briles head that bogus NCAA investigation?
Nothing would surprise me and I wonder if the NCAA will ever grow a set of stones and look for academic fraud at Baylor.

Baylor would be the kind of place where they could flex their muscles and show everyone who's boss.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
TCU had its share of questionable courses. Not being a math fan I looked for something easy for my requirements and stumbled on something called related math being taught by the head of the math dept. I thought I had stumbled into a basketball team meeting. The prof trying to be funny wrote 1+1= on the black board and asked if anyone could solve the equation. I can't remember who answered, but someone said eleven. Then Goo Kennedy, Simpson Degrate and Snake Williams proceeded to high giving and laughing. The prof said, "we have our baseline...". I know it was all in fun, but I decided I needed something a little more challenging...

MTfrog5

TCU had its share of questionable courses. Not being a math fan I looked for something easy for my requirements and stumbled on something called related math being taught by the head of the math dept. I thought I had stumbled into a basketball team meeting. The prof trying to be funny wrote 1+1= on the black board and asked if anyone could solve the equation. I can't remember who answered, but someone said eleven. Then Goo Kennedy, Simpson Degrate and Snake Williams proceeded to high giving and laughing. The prof said, "we have our baseline...". I know it was all in fun, but I decided I needed something a little more challenging...
No defending UNC in any way, but every school will have math classes like that just to get them eligible to graduate to meet whatever math requirements there are. Math sucks for some people

LVH

Ped State covered up child rape for decades and only got a 2 year bowl ban.

Baylor covered up rapes for many seasons under Briles and nothing has happened to them yet.

At least Baylor is getting their karma with their 0-5 start, but Ped State still hasn't gotten what they deserve yet. Those sick scheisss and that sick fanbase still worships and honors Joe Paterno and acted like he did nothing wrong. His statue is still standing. A statue of a man who allowed children to be raped for years.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The NCAA has been a bad joke for several years. They "fumbled" the Miami (Fla.) investigations, punted on Auburn and $cam, have been noodling around on this matter for some time and finally decided to punt on it as well.

The issue is, what do they do? In the above listed cases, the only possible penalties were mass suspensions and potential "death penalty" punishments. No modern Conference would stand for that. To suspend North Carolina for a year? Two? The ACC would crater. To have kicked $cam out of football for taking illegal payments? The howls would have been deafening.

I don't even need to mention Rape U.

The FBI investigation news was interesting in that the SAIC pointed out that they deliberately kept the NCAA in the dark on all aspects of the case because they felt that they would have compromised it. That's a pretty damning statement, considering.

I wonder why Mark Emmert hasn't been asked about this?

LVH

The NCAA has been a bad joke for several years. They "fumbled" the Miami (Fla.) investigations, punted on Auburn and $cam, have been noodling around on this matter for some time and finally decided to punt on it as well.

The issue is, what do they do? In the above listed cases, the only possible penalties were mass suspensions and potential "death penalty" punishments. No modern Conference would stand for that. To suspend North Carolina for a year? Two? The ACC would crater. To have kicked $cam out of football for taking illegal payments? The howls would have been deafening.

I don't even need to mention Rape U.

The FBI investigation news was interesting in that the SAIC pointed out that they deliberately kept the NCAA in the dark on all aspects of the case because they felt that they would have compromised it. That's a pretty damning statement, considering.

I wonder why Mark Emmert hasn't been asked about this?

I've been saying it for years. NCAA is terrified of conferences like the SEC bolting the NCAA and creating their own collegiate sports association.

I want the NCAA to stay in tact, but they need to do a much better job of actually enforcing their rules. It's like the NBA at this point - the stars get preferential treatment and the rules don't apply to them.

MAcFroggy

The NCAA only has power that is given to them by the member institutions. If schools wanted stronger investigation, stronger penalties, and a better ability to regulate the rules they would provide them with adequate resources to do so. Schools do not really want that to happen. They like the NCAA to have pretty limited resources and limited items that they can actually investigate. It makes the NCAA the bad guy but not too bad that it hurts a lot of important schools.

In this case, I actually somewhat agree with the NCAA. It is not the NCAAs prerogative to regulate what is taught in courses and how they should be taught. I would not want the NCAA coming to Fort Worth and telling professors what is the proper amount of homework, proper difficulty of tests, etc. Those things are established by accrediting agencies, the president, provost, departments, etc. If the school thinks these super easy classes are adequate for their entire student body then that is okay. All students should be free to enroll in these courses (more non-athletes took these classes than athletes at UNC). However, if super easy classes exist and only athletes can enroll then that is a problem.

The accrediting agencies disagreed and put UNC on probation. This is not going to be as big of a loophole as some people think. The presidents, provosts, department heads, etc are not going to start creating sham classes across the country. The costs of dealing with potentially losing accreditation are way too large. Most universities would be forced to close if they lost their accreditation as they can not receive any federal funding.

Damn! Nobody told me about those easy classes when I was at TCU. I'm kind of pissed. I actually had to go to class with real students.

Sebastian S

Can't touch the NCCAB money maker!

giphy.gif