• The KillerFrogs

Cam(eron) Newton opening the door for the Frogs?

MO Frogs

Well in the interest of not getting too far from focusing on Utah perhaps its best to table this thread till Sunday. But I think it has enough relevancy to be mentioned today!

With all the new controversy surrounding Auburn QB Cameron Newton, could the Frogs be getting closer to a BCS NC Shot??

True or not I think the air of impropriety surrounding Cameron Newton will negatively affect the Auburn Tigers. Not that history tells us that cheating will deter sports fans. But I think maybe, just maybe, the negative press will dim the hype on Auburn just enough to shine some more light onto the Frogs and perhaps inch us closer to a NC shot!

I understand that this is a long shot but I cant see it hurting our reputation and public perception any!

Of course it really matter not until we slaughter Utah tomorrow!! GO FROGS!

stell91

I totally agree that this Cam Newton fiasco does nothing but help us. However, as you pointed out, winning against Utah will do more for us in the title race than anything Cam Newton could do =)

Frog89

Well in the interest of not getting too far from focusing on Utah perhaps its best to table this thread till Sunday. But I think it has enough relevancy to be mentioned today!

With all the new controversy surrounding Auburn QB Cameron Newton, could the Frogs be getting closer to a BCS NC Shot??

True or not I think the air of impropriety surrounding Cameron Newton will negatively affect the Auburn Tigers. Not that history tells us that cheating will deter sports fans. But I think maybe, just maybe, the negative press will dim the hype on Auburn just enough to shine some more light onto the Frogs and perhaps inch us closer to a NC shot!

I understand that this is a long shot but I cant see it hurting our reputation and public perception any!

Of course it really matter not until we slaughter Utah tomorrow!! GO FROGS!

I guess the best scenario for whoever wins between TCU and Utah (and also for Boise State) is for LSU to beat Alabama this weekend, giving the Tide 2 losses. Then Bama beats Auburn. Then Arkansas beats LSU. Then, the question is could a 1 loss Auburn that wins the SEC championship game be put into the NC game over an undefeated TCU, Utah or BSU? I'm sure it could happen, but not sure how the computers would work. Usually losing late in the season kills you, but I also remember LSU losing to Arkansas, the last game of the year, then winning the NC a few weeks later... That's what playing in the SEC gets you...

PhillyFrog

Did Cecil Newton benefit from the church being saved from the dozer? If you don't connect those dots, I don't think there's a case to be made. Does he get a salary from the church?

There's also a possible IRS side to this. If there's no donative intent, then the question becomes whether the funds were exchanged for services, or the promise of services. If so, then that is potentially earned income.

Which brings to mind the joke about the world's second oldest profession.....

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Unless someone (Auburn, the SEC or the NCAA) is planning on suspending him, it means nothing to us. And there's no indication any of them have that in mind.

stell91

If this turns out badly and Cam Newton himself is punished when he may not have known anything untoward was going on, then that would be horrible. BUT, it would be so perfect to see an SEC school go down. I've always felt that SEC football was more corrupt than big programs in other major conferences, and I've had ZERO respect for Auburn ever since watching them "beat" Northwestern in the Outback Bowl last year.

oldscribe

I totally agree that this Cam Newton fiasco does nothing but help us. However, as you pointed out, winning against Utah will do more for us in the title race than anything Cam Newton could do =)

Without beating Utah, nothing Cam does or did matters at all.

Frog89

Without beating Utah, nothing Cam does or did matters at all.

I think most of us are in agreement with that statement as we post our thoughts about Auburn. Hopefully nobody posting is actually playing tomorrow. I'm sure they have them tied up in pre-game things today and tomorrow.