• The KillerFrogs

Caleb Tanenbaum's Official Post-Spring Big 12 predictions

Hefley001

Just listened to him, here are his current predictions and what I remember from his commentary

1. Texas - Said that they have too much talent, and David Ash will have a breakout year... even if he doesn't the next Vince Young is the backup. Either way will be back where they belong atop the Big 12

2. Oklahoma State - Mike Gundy might be the best coach in not just the Big 12 but the entire country, offensive system will keep humming no matter who plays QB, defense is under rated and will be what wins them games.

3. Kansas State - If there is one thing he learned, its not to doubt Bill Snyder, who cares that Colin Klein and others are gone, its the system not the players whoever Snyder plugs into their holes will keep the ball rolling

4. Oklahoma - Too many questions at QB to be higher, plus this team tends to underachieve with more talent than what is there for 2013. Still, its still Oklahoma so they still should have an above average year.

5. Baylor - This is his dark horse team, said the offensive system will not miss a beat, even though there is a new QB. Running game will be the highlight of it, and defense will be far better. Would not be surprised to see this team win Big 12.

6. Texas Tech - He was really high on Kliff Kingsbury, thinks the A&M style offense will work in the Big 12 and yes it will work this year, but too many questions and inexperience in both coaching and the players to project them higher.

7. Kansas - His surprise team, said they lost a lot of close games last year, and this year with another year of experience under Weis they will be more focused and have direction. Do not underestimate this team, can sneak up on people. No longer a punching bag

8. TCU - Said the QB battle will help more than hurt, no offensive line, and said defense only led Big 12 last year because no other team was used to the 4-2-5 system but this year they have tape and know what to do so Big 12 offenses will exploit it this year. Said last year proved they do not have the depth or players yet to compete in Big 12, and based on this year's recruiting class they are still far away.

9. West Virginia - Thinks WVU not a good fit for Big 12, doesn't think Dana is a good coach. Last year was their chance and they blew it, this year will be even worse with all the losses. Doesn't think Dana lasts after this year.

10. Iowa State - No other team killed more by graduation, and Iowa State doesn't recruit well so its hard to have hope for this team in 2013 even with Paul Rhodes trying to do what he can do.

Oddest prediction I have seen yet. Here's how I see things unfolding:

1. Winner of TCU @ OSU (leaning OSU because of home schedule vs top Big12 teams)
2. Loser of TCU @ OSU
3. OU (Jury still out on whether Blake Bell can pass the ball. Talent alone will win 8+ games, but lost a lot on defense)
4/5/6. Texas Tech (Brewer, good stable of RB's will win some games. All pending Klingsbury's playcalling)
4/5/6. Texas (UT will win some games, but still can't develop their talent)
4/5/6. Baylor (Petty supposedly good, Seastrunk is a good runner, but their O-line is shallow and just lost another starter to ACL)
7. KSU (Never doubt Bill Snyder, but Colin Klein was his offense)
8. WVU (Geno, Tavon, Stedman are gone)
9. ISU (Knott/Klein are gone, so goes their Defense)
10. KU (Might win 1 conference game vs ISU or WVU)

bouttmk

Oddest prediction I have seen yet. Here's how I see things unfolding:

1. Winner of TCU @ OSU (leaning OSU because of home schedule vs top Big12 teams)
2. Loser of TCU @ OSU
3. OU (Jury still out on whether Blake Bell can pass the ball. Talent alone will win 8+ games, but lost a lot on defense)
4/5/6. Texas Tech (Brewer, good stable of RB's will win some games. All pending Klingsbury's playcalling)
4/5/6. Texas (UT will win some games, but still can't develop their talent)
4/5/6. Baylor (Petty supposedly good, Seastrunk is a good runner, but their O-line is shallow and just lost another starter to ACL)
7. KSU (Never doubt Bill Snyder, but Colin Klein was his offense)
8. WVU (Geno, Tavon, Stedman are gone)
9. ISU (Knott/Klein are gone, so goes their Defense)
10. KU (Might win 1 conference game vs ISU or WVU)

Hefley, it's good to hear from you and know you're safe. Are you back from your deployment? How was beautiful Kandahar?

Hefley001

Hefley, it's good to hear from you and know you're safe. Are you back from your deployment? How was beautiful Kandahar?

Hey Aloha, I appreciate it. Nah still out here, won't be back home until mid summer. Kandahar was alright, helluva lot hotter than here in the Hindu Kush.

jack the frog

A tech poster on Baylor fans message board copied "caleb's" rankings and all the Baylor fans are discussing its merits... Haha

Funny, I pop over to Baylor fans at 5:30 AM to take a look and the server clocked for 3 minutes with 45 viewing. Wonder if they have figured out that Caleb doesn't exist? Really some pretty decent folks over there excepting the few nuts on all boards.

jack the frog

I had no Idea Tech lost so much from last year.

"Some keys players lost due to their eligibility running out were quarterback and one-time Crane standout Seth Doege, three starters off the offensive line, including starting All-Big 12 left tackle LaAdrian Waddle, and five receivers."

"The offensive line's depth is an issue this spring as there are only 10 scholarship linemen on the roster, and that includes sophomore guard Alfredo Morales, who is coming off shoulder surgery and has not been cleared for contact yet."

"In addition to new coordinators, new schemes and philosophies, the Red Raider defense will have to replace its entire starting secondary from last year.Safeties Cody Davis and D.J. Johnson, and cornerbacks Cornelius Douglas and Permian grad Eugene Neboh all used up their eligibility."

http://www.mywesttexas.com/sports/article_37add3c9-ece1-5125-bb53-2c7258868a58.html

Mike Brooks

A tech poster on Baylor fans message board copied "caleb's" rankings and all the Baylor fans are discussing its merits... Haha
Now that is funny! Somebody should post on raiderpower. I can here it: "somebody finally gets it. The toads suck. However, we should be higher". Guaranteed 4 pages of more TCU hate.