• The KillerFrogs

Cable Alternatives and Sling TV

rifram09

Just ask your neighbors if you can run a cable out their window and into your house for your TV. That the cheapest way to get TV, and it's the same thing (albeit a low tech method) as using a sling box on someone else's TV subscription.

Casey T

How are you guys paying so much for cable? I pay 40 right now for charter and get espn/espn2, foxsports1, and pretty much everything I want except for espnu and cbscollegesports (which I could get for another 10). All in hd. And I'm pretty sure dish is only 30/month and has basically what I have. I'm in stl though, but would've thought texas has similar prices

Zubaz

shhaight said:
Basically, Slingbox is a device that gives you the ability to watch the TV in your house, over the internet. So you install it to a cable box somewhere and you now control that cable box (as if you are watching it from home). Instead of attaching it to my TV at home, I attached it to my parent's TV in CA (the guest room cable box). Since they have local CA sports (Chargers and Padres) and they pay for the best sports cable package (including obscure Fox Sports channels), I can now view that content over the internet for free. The quality will depend on the internet connection, but it is always watchable.
If they have the best sports package, then chances are you can simply use their login for WatchESPN and FoxSportsGo using your tablet or computer. Mirroring it to your television screen isn't particularly difficult or expensive, and it skips the need for the relatively expensive Slingbox.

shhaight

Todd D. said:
If they have the best sports package, then chances are you can simply use their login for WatchESPN and FoxSportsGo using your tablet or computer. Mirroring it to your television screen isn't particularly difficult or expensive, and it skips the need for the relatively expensive Slingbox.

This is true, I use those two apps FIRST if possible. You will get a much higher bitrate (quality) and you can easily cast it to your tv.

However, there are some channels you cannot get with these apps. For example, I have a slingbox in San Diego, because I like to watch the Chargers. Most of the time, the CBS or FOX NFL game is different depending on the local area. I can use the slingbox to tap into that local market. Same goes with Padres games and other local sports. Also, you can use the DVR commands using the slingbox while you usually cannot with the traditional streaming app.

But like I said, I try for the WatchESPN or FoxSportsGo apps first. If that doesn't work, I go for Slingbox.

ifrog

Austintxfrog94 said:
I tried "Sling TV" (Not to be confused with Sling Box) out over the summer while in between Direct TV and Uverse.  I have gigapower internet with Uverse and it's still not good for watching games, there's a ton of pausing and lags.  I'm glad this service is now out there (Internet TV) and think it will become viable as it's service improves but would not recommend going this route if you plan on watching game in progress.  It would be too frustrating.  

They improved the streaming and changed the interface with an update last week. That is the nice thing about applications, they can always be updated and improved. But I agree that it was horrible.

Double D

Tier 1
I am a current DirecTV subscriber (subscriber since 1996).  I tried sling.com from March to June of this year.   I can't say anything bad about it.  It is a great deal for the money.  
The problem I had with it is that if I get rid of DirecTV, I have no access to FoxSW.  I could not get past that.  I need my Rangers, Stars, etc.

I did have the Fox Sports GO app on my Amazon Fire TV but could not find a way to stream FoxSW.

If I could have figured that out, it would have been bye bye DirecTV.

I ultimately called DirecTV the day after my contract expired in April.  I repeatedly told the guy to cut it off.  After about 5 various pleas/offers from DirecTV to reduce my bills, etc. I finally agreed to a 2 year contract at $40 off/month.  Total bill is about $70/month.  I turned in my DVR as I think they charge way too much for that service.  Also, I never record anything. 

I will revisit 'cutting the cord' again in April of 2017 when my DirecTV deal expires.  Until then, I am sticking with DirecTV.  

However, if sling.com can continue to add channels, it will be a great way to go.  

HG73

TCUdirtbag said:
Two things you have to consider with internet-based TV is (1) your internet speed and (2) whether your internet provider caps monthly data usage like your cell phone carrier.  You need to make sure you can get a quality stream (do you have other people in the house who ill be streaming or doing other thing online as well?) and if you blow past your data limits, the overage fees can be astronomical.  

As for TCU appearing on networks other than broadcast, ESPN, and ESPN2---it depends what you care about.  Just looking at this year's set schedules, you'd miss:

Football:
- TCU vs. SFA (FS1)
- TCU vs. SMU (FSSW)
- TCU vs. WVU (FS1)
- TCU @ ISU (if they select it for ESPNU instead of ESPN2, which is TBA)
- TBD: games that could appear on FS1 or FSSW: OSU, KU, OU

TCU/Big 12, Generally:
- Weekly Big 12 Showcase on FSSW (year-round)
- Weekly Big 12 This Week on ESPNU (August through end of baseball season)
- Weekly TCU Coaches' shows (Inside TCU Football w/ CGP, Inside TCU Basketball w/ CTJ, Inside TCU Baseball w/ CJS)

Men's Basketball:
- 25 of TCU's 2015-16 MBB games are on ESPNU, ESPNEWS, LHN, FSSW, FSSW+, FCS, or CBSSN (4 on ESPN or ESPN2) (one is not televised and one is an online-only stream)

Women's Basketball:
- 15 games televised on FSSW, FSSW+, FCS, LHN, or ROOT

Baseball:
- Typically 10-12 games televised on various Big 12 Tier 3 deals with FOX (FSSW, FCS)

Other:
There's usually some volleyball and soccer games that pop up on FSSW or FSSW+ each year.  

So it just depends how much you watch TCU sports.  
Good analysis.  I have a good internet connection and they don't cap data usage.  

Is there no way to get the Fox sports channels without cable?

ifrog

TCUdirtbag said:
Two things you have to consider with internet-based TV is (1) your internet speed and (2) whether your internet provider caps monthly data usage like your cell phone carrier.  You need to make sure you can get a quality stream (do you have other people in the house who ill be streaming or doing other thing online as well?) and if you blow past your data limits, the overage fees can be astronomical.  

As for TCU appearing on networks other than broadcast, ESPN, and ESPN2---it depends what you care about.  Just looking at this year's set schedules, you'd miss:

Football:
- TCU vs. SFA (FS1)
- TCU vs. SMU (FSSW)
- TCU vs. WVU (FS1)
- TCU @ ISU (if they select it for ESPNU instead of ESPN2, which is TBA)
- TBD: games that could appear on FS1 or FSSW: OSU, KU, OU

TCU/Big 12, Generally:
- Weekly Big 12 Showcase on FSSW (year-round)
- Weekly Big 12 This Week on ESPNU (August through end of baseball season)
- Weekly TCU Coaches' shows (Inside TCU Football w/ CGP, Inside TCU Basketball w/ CTJ, Inside TCU Baseball w/ CJS)

Men's Basketball:
- 25 of TCU's 2015-16 MBB games are on ESPNU, ESPNEWS, LHN, FSSW, FSSW+, FCS, or CBSSN (4 on ESPN or ESPN2) (one is not televised and one is an online-only stream)

Women's Basketball:
- 15 games televised on FSSW, FSSW+, FCS, LHN, or ROOT

Baseball:
- Typically 10-12 games televised on various Big 12 Tier 3 deals with FOX (FSSW, FCS)

Other:
There's usually some volleyball and soccer games that pop up on FSSW or FSSW+ each year.  

So it just depends how much you watch TCU sports.  
Good points. Fortunately all of those football games that you mentioned were home games. I have not missed an away game on tv yet , however, I have missed some other B12 matchups.

tcufrogprince1

We got rid of our cable two years ago. We have every tv hooked up to a computer and we can see every movie and tv show for free. We pay $40 a month for internet access. Its so easy. Get google ad plus blocker. Find sites like viooz.ac and yify.tv and get a wireless keyboard. IM me if you want help. Sports can be seen on several sites but i usually use firstrow

Another good thing with sling is that you can bring your firestick with you anywhere you go. If there is internet you have all your channels. There is also an App so you can watch anywhere on your phone too.

Zubaz

tcufrogprince1 said:
We got rid of our cable two years ago. We have every tv hooked up to a computer and we can see every movie and tv show for free. We pay $40 a month for internet access. Its so easy. Get google ad plus blocker. Find sites like viooz.ac and yify.tv and get a wireless keyboard. IM me if you want help. Sports can be seen on several sites but i usually use firstrow
First row has gotten a little sophisticated with their blocking of Adblock, which is frustrating. Used to be they'd throw a big pop up on there asking you to disable it, which was easy enough to get rid of. Now they straight up won't show the video.

HG73

pastorfrog said:
I spent a month trying to make sure I got every game and Sling does not make it happen. Two to three FS1 games a year and one or two on FSSW. Best move is pay a friend for their Fox Sports Go password, which is still not a great app.
How much is the FoxSportsGo app?  If I don't have a friend with a password.

tcufrogprince1

Todd D. said:
First row has gotten a little sophisticated with their blocking of Adblock, which is frustrating. Used to be they'd throw a big pop up on there asking you to disable it, which was easy enough to get rid of. Now they straight up won't show the video.
There are like 30 firstrow sports. You just have to go to the right one.

HG73

Rifram09 said:
Just ask your neighbors if you can run a cable out their window and into your house for your TV. That the cheapest way to get TV, and it's the same thing (albeit a low tech method) as using a sling box on someone else's TV subscription.
Problem solved.  Why didn't I think of that?  Hey, bet I could get free electricity the same way.  Wonder if he has a FoxSportsGo password?  :)

You guys are hilarious. I get if you can't afford cable getting creative, but if you can what's the point? I mean let's say there was no such thing as cable and you had to do all these complicated , constantly changing, not always dependable, and possibly unethical machinations to watch TV. And sometimes didn't get your favorite teams' games to boot. And then someone came out with cable where you had everything you want, when you want it, with a great picture for about twice what you currently paid for the current hassle. If you could afford it you'd jump at it. Call cable or satellite, get the best deal you can and enjoy the convenience. It's well worth it. Cut out going out to eat once a month or one movie night a month and you come out even. Seems like people are cutting off their nose to spite their face with this cut the cord thing.