• The KillerFrogs

Bill Hancock Comment About 2014 TCU/Baylor

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
The one thing I want explained is why the had to revote multiple times.

It took that long to convince everyone little ole TCU couldn’t go down in history as one of the fist playoff 4 when Ohio State was still out there. It would just be so unseemly to have nobody TCU in there for all eternity...

froginmn

FWIW: I know Handcock personally. He’s a fan of the Frogs. Even wore a TCU hat at the CWS.

I know he gets a lot of heat on this board but he’s just one man in this monopoly.
Liked for Handcock.

FWIW, for the first time ever, after clicking like, I was asked "are you sure? "

Coincidence I'm sure.

Wexahu

Ohio State had a better resume than Oregon and was a better team than Oregon. Why Ohio State continues to be the team everyone complains about on here is a head scratcher for me. If the committee should be blamed for anything, it's for not recognizing that Ohio State was a better team than Oregon long before the last Saturday of the season. Because they were, and when they finally got to play, it was very clear. Somehow Oregon gets a free pass which is very strange.

When reading this board, you'd think Ohio State went 9-3. They were 12-1, played a pretty good OOC schedule, went undefeated in conference play, and dominated their CCG. That's pretty good. If we go 12-1 this year and don't make it, EVERYONE will be complaining about it. EVERYONE. Meanwhile, we already have a lot of posters on here saying that if Notre Dame goes 11-1 this year they "won't deserve" to be in the playoffs. Well, that's us in 2014. Why would they not deserve but we did? Which is it? Everyone complains that the committee has moving goalposts, but virtually everyone here moves the goalposts themselves. Case in point, people that said TCU should have made it in 2014 and Penn State should've made it last year, of which there were plenty.

S3NATOR

Notre Dame is a great comparison to TCU 2014. If Notre Dame goes 11-1 with their only loss to a top 5 Georgia and TCU's loss is a 14 point loss to ISU/UT/Tech then Notre Dame has a good argument. Just like TCU did in 2014.

Pharm Frog

Ohio State had a better resume than Oregon and was a better team than Oregon. Why Ohio State continues to be the team everyone complains about on here is a head scratcher for me. If the committee should be blamed for anything, it's for not recognizing that Ohio State was a better team than Oregon long before the last Saturday of the season. Because they were, and when they finally got to play, it was very clear. Somehow Oregon gets a free pass which is very strange.

When reading this board, you'd think Ohio State went 9-3. They were 12-1, played a pretty good OOC schedule, went undefeated in conference play, and dominated their CCG. That's pretty good. If we go 12-1 this year and don't make it, EVERYONE will be complaining about it. EVERYONE. Meanwhile, we already have a lot of posters on here saying that if Notre Dame goes 11-1 this year they "won't deserve" to be in the playoffs. Well, that's us in 2014. Why would they not deserve but we did? Which is it? Everyone complains that the committee has moving goalposts, but virtually everyone here moves the goalposts themselves. Case in point, people that said TCU should have made it in 2014 and Penn State should've made it last year, of which there were plenty.

As usual...wrong. Haven't heard many (if any) suggesting that Notre Dame wouldn't "deserve" to be in the CFP at 11-1. Heard and read a lot of posters suggesting that they WILL get into the playoffs at the expense of a deserving team BECAUSE they are Notre Dame. And I suggest that they are correct. Further, Notre Dame would not have had that "extra data point" as seems now not to have been an issue and they would not be conference champions of anything and they would not have dominated their conference in any respect at all. I don't understand why you (and a very very few others) can't seem to understand that there's an obvious "big school, blue-blood" bias out there among the power brokers. Hell...even the commentators and broadcasters in Oklahoma realize and repeatedly say that OU has more margin of error than OSU (the Oklahoma version...not the Ohio version).

Where I do agree is that Oregon has gotten a pass and it's only because they were already "in" the Top 4, won, and got in. If they had been the team to jump into the Top 4 like tOSU, they'd be receiving the lion's share of criticism and I can only imagine how gratifying that Alamo Bowl win would have been since it was so delicious as it was.

As for moving goalposts...I think Mr. Hancock's rebuttal is sufficient evidence that this is more of a fact than anything else.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon

CloudyScentedFoxterrier-size_restricted.gif

TK2000

As a fan base we need to get over it. What cost us the playoffs was poor clock management and offensive play calling in the 4th quarter of the Baylor game. I knew it right when Baylor kicked the winning FG we were out of the hunt.

MTfrog5

Oregon isn't the team that didn't deserve to make it. Florida state was awful. Yeah yeah they were defending national champs and undefeated but the year before isn't supposed to matter. I honestly think TCU fans would still be complaining about it if they ranked us 4 behind FSU instead of 3.

Wexahu

Hell...even the commentators and broadcasters in Oklahoma realize and repeatedly say that OU has more margin of error than OSU (the Oklahoma version...not the Ohio version).

As for moving goalposts...I think Mr. Hancock's rebuttal is sufficient evidence that this is more of a fact than anything else.

Of course OU has a larger margin for error than Okie State (or TCU for that matter). They earned that by scheduling and beating Ohio State. Okie State played Pitt. We played Arkansas. Seriously, how do you not take that into consideration? That was a huge win they got that we don't have. Next year we'll be in Oklahoma's shoes. I guarantee you if we beat Ohio State we'll have a leg up on almost every 1-loss team, just as OU does this year.

The goalposts have to move because every year is so different and there are so many factors involved. That's just the way it has to be when there are only 4 spots up for grab.

Pharm Frog

Of course OU has a larger margin for error than Okie State (or TCU for that matter). They earned that by scheduling and beating Ohio State. Okie State played Pitt. We played Arkansas. Seriously, how do you not take that into consideration? That was a huge win they got that we don't have. Next year we'll be in Oklahoma's shoes. I guarantee you if we beat Ohio State we'll have a leg up on almost every 1-loss team, just as OU does this year.

The goalposts have to move because every year is so different and there are so many factors involved. That's just the way it has to be when there are only 4 spots up for grab.

They say OU has a preference over OSU every year regardless of whether OSU plays LSU or Pitt. They all seem to acknowledge it but you. It is not and has not been a one-year thing.

Pharm Frog

As a fan base we need to get over it. What cost us the playoffs was poor clock management and offensive play calling in the 4th quarter of the Baylor game. I knew it right when Baylor kicked the winning FG we were out of the hunt.

How could you have "known" this unless you thought the other teams with similar resumes would be given preference?

Wexahu

They say OU has a preference over OSU every year regardless of whether OSU plays LSU or Pitt. They all seem to acknowledge it but you. It is not and has not been a one-year thing.

I'm not sure what you're saying. OU has played a significantly more difficult OOC schedule than Okie State throughout the CFP era with the possible exception of 2014 when OSU lost a handful of games anyway. When OSU started 10-0 in 2015 they played Central Michigan, Central Arkansas, and UTSA. That doesn't buy you any leeway, understandably.

I acknowledge the fact that teams who step up and challenge themselves significantly in OOC deserve to have a leg up on those that don't, whether they are blue bloods or not (if they finish with the same record and other metrics are similar). I guess you're just more inclined to complain about blue blood favoritism whenever a result doesn't suit you.

Zubaz

Ohio State had a better resume than Oregon and was a better team than Oregon.
I don't know that that's true. Oregon beat the tar out of Michigan State, a better win than ANYTHING on Ohio State's resume, and had wins over ranked UCLA, Arizona (avenging their only loss), and Utah. Not to mention the Heisman Trophy winner on their team. Their resume was pretty stacked their year

Wexahu

EDIT: Yeah I spaced that Ohio State beat Michigan State too. Too early. The rest is still true though.

Oregon beat MSU in Eugene, and MSU controlled that game and had the lead until very late in the 3rd quarter. Ohio State beat MSU in East Lansing, had a 7-point lead at half, and never was in jeopardy of losing.

If anything, those games revealed more than any at OSU was a better team.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
The Committee makes whatever excuse they feel justifies their vote from week to week and since it’s all made up nonsense they’ll never be able to recall what excuse was used at what point in any season. This is why a four team field picked by a back room Committee was never going to be a long term solution. Either use computers for the four team pick or expand the field.
The computers do not favor the frogs this year so far.

Pharm Frog

I guess you're just more inclined to complain about blue blood favoritism whenever a result doesn't suit you.

I don't complain. I simply acknowledge. Don't see why that's so difficult to understand. I'm on record many times over that TCU has already won the game that is my Holy Grail -- the Rose Bowl. This invitational playoff system is less important to me. Doesn't even approach bucket list status like the Rose Bowl. I will gladly celebrate a "national championship" under the current construct but it ain't the Rose Bowl. Also acknowledge that I am very much in the minority on this.