• The KillerFrogs

Biggest OOC Game in Patterson Era?

Biggest OOC Game in Patterson Era?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sebastian S

It's early but it depends on how Ohio State finishes up the season.

Like OU, if we beat them and they end up with 3 more losses, it won't look as "impressive"

If we lose a close game and OSU ends up having a really good season, could it be a "good loss"?

My initial answer is yes, this is the biggest OOC and one of the biggest games of the Patterson Era.

1. Rose bowl - Was a big help in getting into the Big 12
2. OU 2005 & Clemson - This started the ball rolling with how TCU was perceived.
3. OSU 2018
4. Ole Miss
5. Oregon
6. Georgia would have been a really good one if we just found a way to win.

Oregon and Ole Miss were big but that was the end of the season. Although the perception of TCU looked great after, OSU will have a bigger effect I think.

OSU will setup the 2018 season.

MTfrog5

In hindsight it was Oregon State at Jerry World in 2010. Lose that game and we don't go to the Rose Bowl
That’s a very underrated OOC game. Like you said must win to go to the Rose Bowl. Oregon State was also a good team back then with the Rogers brothers. It was huge to play well against them too because Boise State also played them giving us a direct comment opponent voters could look at.

Wexahu

Yep. TCU’s problem right now is that perception-wise we are not only not seen as a first tier program, we are not even seen as a second tier program in most eyes. We are seen as behind programs like Stanford, Washington, Penn State, Michigan State, Oregon, Wisconsin, despite consistently providing similar if not better results.

We’ve finished in the top 10 of the final AP seven of the past ten seasons. Yet we rarely ever start off in the top 10 of the preseason AP poll because people simply don’t see TCU as a top 10 program, no matter how much we win. Beating #4 Ohio State would go along way in solidifying TCU in peoples mind as a top 10 program, and would provide one hell of a recruiting tool

I disagree as far as being seen as behind Stanford, Michigan State, Oregon (for sure Oregon) and possibly Wisconsin, but our problem has been we've had some real stinkers mixed in with the good seasons. I think we've lost 27 games since we joined the Big 12 in 2012, believe it or not I believe that's more than any of those other programs you named. Other than 2014-2015, the consistency hasn't been there. We've had our moments but have lost a lot of games as well.

BoondocksFrog

This is the biggest OOC game in the playoff era for us. With that said, I think LSU was just as important of a game because at that time we were trying to prove that we could compete with the big boys.

4 Oaks Frog

It might be the biggest OOC game in the Patterson era, but I remember the Clemson game being a big deal. It is FAR from being THE biggest game in the Patterson era, though. Not even close.
Biggest game, period, in the Patterson era was our victory over Whisky in the Rose Bowl. I do believe, because of the significance of beating tosu, this is our biggest regular season OCC game of the Patterson era.

GO FROGS!
BEAT tosu!
Spit Blood~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

kidkarr

OU '05 put us on a lot of people's radar and was one of those games that set the table for the future of this program. This game doesn't have the same upside.
This is my thought. We are back in P5 now so playing an elite team is not as big a deal as it was in 05. Imo

Limey Frog

I think if we were to win, that would be the biggest win in terms of quality opponent beaten. OU in 2005 turned out to be solid but not world-beaters. It seems highly likely that tOSU will be winning the Big Ten + Rutgers & Co. again, which would be huge on TCU's resume. Beating OU in 2005 did more for the program, unless perhaps we make the playoff this year, in which case this would be bigger.

I think this is certainly the best team we've headed into a game with--they hype of how good tOSU's team is represents real knowledge, not pre-season nonsense like "Texas = no. 23". They really are a top-five team, no doubt. Have we ever played a non-conference foe of whom that was so abundantly clear?

FrogLifeYo

OU '05 put us on a lot of people's radar and was one of those games that set the table for the future of this program. This game doesn't have the same upside.
Disagree...Just like that OU game in my opinion a win here could have huge recruiting and perception implications

West Coast Johnny

Its a big game but we played and beat OU out of conference and we played and lost to Texas OOC. I think both of those teams were highly ranked and had just played in the BCS championship game.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
The OU game in '05 was one of many stepping stones laid during those "wilderness years" that got us into the P5 club. If we don't win in '05 how different is TCU and the Big XII today? This game, when we win, will certainly give us a boost—I don't dispute that—but will it lead to the same elevation of the program as that '05 win? Hard to say, but looking back and seeing how big of a win that was for Patterson and TCU it's hard to place this game on the same pedestal.

Now, I might be proven wrong and this game catapults TCU into the playoffs (assuming we win the B12) and future national success, but we're already one of the consistent top 10 teams in the nation and I doubt beating Ohio State without their coach would suddenly bestow Blue Chip status to the Frogs (even though our program historically is a Blue Chip) which is the only level of perception I think w're lacking (in the media).

Boomhauer

Weren’t we 28pt underdogs to OU back in 2005? That was an incredible game. We were surrounded by OU fans and I remember AP running off a big TD run to start the 2nd half and the OU fans in front of us turned around and said, “you’re about to witness some sooner magic.” Lol, what a fun day.

Sebastian S

Weren’t we 28pt underdogs to OU back in 2005? That was an incredible game. We were surrounded by OU fans and I remember AP running off a big TD run to start the 2nd half and the OU fans in front of us turned around and said, “you’re about to witness some sooner magic.” Lol, what a fun day.

AP had more rushing yards this past weekend coming off the street than Zeke.

WhatTheFrog

Only kidding with you. Michigan’s last coach would famously troll OSU fans by calling the school “Ohio” only. It’s fair game. I’m just looking out for the Bobcats. They probably don’t deserve it, lol.

There are other schools in Ohio? I never would've guessed. I guess the State University of Ohio accepts everyone that applies? That's why they are so large?

TCU is the 2nd most selective school in TX, btw (behind Rice). We can only accommodate so many "top of the class" students each year. Legacy students don't even make it in, many times, regardless of the tuition.

I'm kinda kidding, but not completely. With a student base that State University of Ohio has, combined with the cheap attendance costs, it can't be too hard to get in.

My kids can go anywhere they want to, but if they want to go to UTx, tSUO, BYU, ND, UGa, OU, or Baylor, I'm not paying a red cent. There may be others, but those are the ones off the top of my head. Screw Bama, too. Almost any SEC school, come to think about it.

Only kidding with you! SUO's last school president would famously troll TCU fans by calling the school and their opponents "The Little Sisters of the Poor". They are fair game, I'm just looking out for the cockroaches (history lesson). They probably don't deserve it, lol.