• The KillerFrogs

Biggest Flop in TCU Baseball History?

NativeFrog

Last night, I was remarking that 2011 might rank as the biggest flop in TCU baseball history; preseason ranking of number one in the country to losing to Stephen F. Austin, with their seventh-hole pitcher (what would that be, like the No. 1,487th-ranked pitcher in the country) closing them out in the ninth. But I was told that in the mid 70s, then TCU baseball coach Roger Williams in the preseason proclaimed a national championship for the Horned Frogs baseball team, only to see the team not even win the SWC championship, much less a national championship. Any other TCU baseball flops come to mind? Might make for an interesting article.

cdsfrog

Hard to proclaim that with almost 30 games left. Well see what happens, if they suck in conference too it could get ugly

FROGDADDY

Last night, I was remarking that 2011 might rank as the biggest flop in TCU baseball history; preseason ranking of number one in the country to losing to Stephen F. Austin, with their seventh-hole pitcher (what would that be, like the No. 1,487th-ranked pitcher in the country) closing them out in the ninth. But I was told that in the mid 70s, then TCU baseball coach Roger Williams in the preseason proclaimed a national championship for the Horned Frogs baseball team, only to see the team not even win the SWC championship, much less a national championship. Any other TCU baseball flops come to mind? Might make for an interesting article.

I'm not sure the TCU baseball program has ever had a season that could be considered a flop. For obvious reasons.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Well, I guess seeing as how we've never had a team or program like this, ranked that high with pre-season national title hopes, I suppose that would safe to say and blog about. Go for it.

Dtx_Frog_Fan

Another poster brought up how Fresno st's cws team had a very mediocre record. Plenty of time to bring all the pieces together. Once that happens we will be unstoppable.

cdsfrog

Another poster brought up how Fresno st's cws team had a very mediocre record. Plenty of time to bring all the pieces together. Once that happens we will be unstoppable.

Exception to rule is not something to shoot for, nor should be we hope to lose 20 games and then make a run late. That being said there are still like 28 games left (too lazy to look I admit it) with plenty of bad conference teams to play. Sweep this weekend $$ and that would be a good start!

Big Frog II

Do the rest of you think NativeFrog puts up this "Craig James" just so he can have something to write about in his blogs and S-T articles?

As for the biggest flop, not until the season is over will we be able to answer that. And yes Mac, right now I would rank that mid-70's team as the biggest disappointment when Roger was coaching. He got us ranked 7th nationally in the preseason, but we finished 3rd in Tarrant County that year.

oldscribe

Do the rest of you think NativeFrog puts up this "Craig James" just so he can have something to write about in his blogs and S-T articles?

As for the biggest flop, not until the season is over will we be able to answer that. And yes Mac, right now I would rank that mid-70's team as the biggest disappointment when Roger was coaching. He got us ranked 7th nationally in the preseason, but we finished 3rd in Tarrant County that year.
Remember it well. Roger's first and last season as coach.

RaiderHater

I wouldn't say this season is a flop at all, for three reasons:

1. Were still have a winning record

2. There's alot of baseball to played, and with our starting rotation we can beat any team in the nation in a 3 game series.

3. A flop it was UT football did last year. National championship game to 5-7 with loses to Baylor and Iowa State.

Is the team playing to their potential? No. Is this season a flop? definitely not.

Leap Frog

Remember it well. Roger's first and last season as coach.

1976, I believe, and RW was handed a team with a star at every position. Also, that is the year of the bench-clearing brawl with Baylor, when frustration set in after a Bear batter took a poke at TCU's catcher. Wasn't a pretty sight, especially when some football players joined the melee.

Pharm Frog

Last night, I was remarking that 2011 might rank as the biggest flop in TCU baseball history; preseason ranking of number one in the country to losing to Stephen F. Austin, with their seventh-hole pitcher (what would that be, like the No. 1,487th-ranked pitcher in the country) closing them out in the ninth.

Told me everything I needed to know with the reference to the seventh-hole pitcher......

TCURiggs

1976, I believe, and RW was handed a team with a star at every position. Also, that is the year of the bench-clearing brawl with Baylor, when frustration set in after a Bear batter took a poke at TCU's catcher. Wasn't a pretty sight, especially when some football players joined the melee.

That sounds awesome. Unfortunately, I've never been involved in or witnessed a good sports brawl...keeping my fingers crossed.

East Coast

Tier 1

My first year at TCU - we may have finished last in the SWC - RW was a joke of a coach.

This year's team is finding out how hard it is to maintain the desire and focus required to stay at the top. 2nd time back is always harder then the first.