• The KillerFrogs

[big steaming pile] Pissed Me Off Again

rifram09

Expectations are great until you have to prove them. If they can just get to the Final Four, they will become Oregon without school owner Phil Knights money, a cute team that broke into the top tier.

TCU has done this before. It wasnt that long ago TCU was trying to become the next Boise State.

And this is not the first time TCU has entered a season with a high national ranking and expectations. In 2010, TCU was No. 6 in the preseason polls. The team went undefeated, won the Rose Bowl, and finished second behind national champion Auburn.

But that was different. That was in the Mountain West, which in hindsight even the most passionate TCU defender will now readily admit, OK, you all were right, the schedule was weak.
Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article31350764.html#storylink=cpy

Darn off, Mac, you piece of [ Finebaum ]!

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
tumblr_n6zm7valho1s0c0xho1_500.gif

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
 Big deal Mac, our schedule is better now and we still aren't considered good enough to match up with the "big boys", according to Barry Alvarez and the other dwarfs...

Punter1

Who gives a [ Finebaum ] if the schedule was weak...we WEREN'T!!!

Thats the point everyone missed and muck still does. A schedule does not make a team...especially when no one would play us or invite us in.

F Mack

rifram09

The Mountain West wasnt the B12, but nobody ever said it was. All we said is that we were good enough to win no matter what league we were in. Last year proved us right.

netty2424

PhormerPhrog said:
only an Aggy would argue that a MWC Schedule wasn't weak (if Aggys were in MWC). Our schedule was our greatest weakness and we had to overcome it every single year.
Some things never change. Still having to overcome it.

Tumbleweed

He's doing exactly what he needs to wake readers up and pay attention to his articles. Once every 40 days or so depending on his readership.  Readers raise a big stink, he knows he has accomplished his goals.

Limey Frog

I don't care for Muck at all, but that column was fine. The only statement in there I didn't agree with is the one about the MWC schedule--I don't recall hearing any TCU fan claim the MWC schedule wasn't weak even at the time. That wasn't the argument. The point was that we were playing the hardest schedule other schools would let us play, and that playing weaker teams doesn't necessarily mean your team isn't the best. As I said at the time, if the Pittsburg Steelers shared a division with three middle schools, they'd still be the Steelers.

As for the rest of it, weren't we trying to replicate and surpass Boise? They made it to and won a BCS bowl before we did, and were known nationally as the have-not underdog that could before we were. His column does nothing more than point out that fulfilling expectations is really hard to do when the bar for success is perfection, and that more often than not it doesn't happen. What's to argue with there? Going 12-0 is really hard; we most likely won't manage it. But if we don't make the playoffs the year will be a bit of a disappointment and it will be because we didn't win our games--we won't get left out at 12-0.

Again, I don't like Muck. But don't go getting all bent out of shape just for the gratifying sensation of outrage. There is no insult here.

YA

My issue is that if we are not undefeated, he is saying the season is a failure.  Jeez that is like saying he doesn't write for Sports Illustrated and his career is a failure.

NavySupplyFrog

Rifram09 said:
The Mountain West wasnt the B12, but nobody ever said it was. All we said is that we were good enough to win no matter what league we were in. Last year proved us right.
Clemson and Virginia played us and learned a lesson, just saying.

ifrog

My issue is why do WE have to go undefeated? We moved up to the big boy conference so that we wouldn't need to go undefeated. It is B.S.

Deep Purple

YA said:
My issue is that if we are not undefeated, he is saying the season is a failure.  Jeez that is like saying he doesn't write for Sports Illustrated and his career is a failure.

ifrog said:
My issue is why do WE have to go undefeated? We moved up to the big boy conference so that we wouldn't need to go undefeated. It is B.S.

Where in the column does Engel say we have to go undefeated?  I see where he says we need to win the conference.  I see no mention at all of going undefeated except a reference to our 2010 season.

Is it possible you fellas might be reading stuff into this column just a bit?