• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Endless Purple

Nope, definitely commercials. Paramount already does this with their soccer specific sportscenter-like shows.
Ok. That helps to understand potential payouts then. When I see people using just the amount from subscription fees only then that is incomplete if there is also advertising dollars coming in as with cable or broadcast (maybe just lower numbers).

edit_ reviewing revenues beyond the contract specifics..

Brevity Frog

Just a note for those doing math at home, keep in mind that Apple likely uses a form of mark to market management accounting/reporting for subscriber revenue. For example, if a new subscriber signs up for $5 a month, the book value can be placed at the “fair market value of that subscriber” which makes some assumptions about their lifetime value and churn rate.

Thus, the number of subs needed can be lower given the theoretical LTV attached.
Thank you, very interesting. But what happens year over year? Certainly the payouts in the first year or two are based on assumptions but ultimately don’t the payouts become quite certain based on actual revenues and established churn rates? It seems that eventually, payouts equaling annual subscriptions from 50 million people would require 50 million annual subscribers at some point….or am I missing the boat?

McFroggin

I would have thought FSU would be an SEC add?
I also thought the B1G was primarily after ND, so Idk how much sense it makes.
The Big10 and SEC are good enough that adding “good programs” in their current market area doesn’t make sense around what is remaining. They are more interested in market expansion. Clemson and FSU are more likely Big10 targets. SEC is more likely to target large public schools in new regions of the ACC like UNC and Virginia.

Rabidfrog

Oddly enough I think UH has more academic potential than athletic potential. Like us they have added a medical school. Their law school is probably top 2 in the state for value with UT. They already have a good business/entrepreneur program.

Their renovated football stadium is lipstick on a pig. Concessions are poorly done. Their attendance pre-Big12 is low.

Basketball is doing well. Their renovation quality wise was good, but they should have added many more seats. UH fans get disappointed and drop off easily though, so after a year of losses in the Big12 and maybe their demand sinks.

If they can raise academic standards and gentrify the area around the stadium, it could become a neat place.
I believe they have the top research category, which Baylor also has and we do not.

fanatical frog

Jason Scheer was just on 365 Sports.
His view of the deal is $22m base & $1 per sub with -0- linear (except some tier3 that Apple might sublease) He said the Az. BoR is still in session, but he believes UA will be a B12 member by weeks end.
He also said it might not get announced right away. (that sounded strange)

Robbins is already on record saying he wouldn’t be able to sign with more than 50% streaming. He is out on the PAC, but doesn’t want to be viewed as the PAC killer.

Has the Arizona BoR meeting finished up yet ?

Limey Frog

To my knowledge the Az BoR Exec session is still meeting in private session. It must be a lively discussion.
The annotated agenda/minutes say they adjourned within an hour. Still, they were certainly talking about conference-related questions. The Pac deal's terms aren't acceptable, according to Robbins's previous statements. Now it's all "hush, hush" around AU athletics and there are credible reports of Robbins meeting with Yormark yesterday, which Scheer had hinted on the Arizona 247 site that he would. I would be shocked at this point if Arizona doesn't move. I'd be only a little less surprised if 'Zona moves and ASU/Utah don't join them at that time or shortly after.

This will all be over by September, and we can enjoy actual football safe in the knowledge that for the next few years at least TCU and the Big 12 are in a position of comparative strength and safety that felt unimaginable just two summers ago.

Yormark and Kliavkoff both played their hands exactly how we needed them to. 10/10 for both from me.

Last edited:

fanatical frog

This will all be over by September, and we can enjoy actual football safe in the knowledge that for the next few years at least TCU and the Big 12 are in a position of strength and safety that felt unimaginable just two summers ago.

Yormark and Kliavkoff both played their hands exactly how we needed them to. 10/10 for both from me.

Yes. We are good for at least the current cycle. And, under the leadership of Mr. Yormark I believe we'll be in good shape beyond this cycle.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I cannot believe that any of the remaining PAC Members would look at this "deal" from Kliavkoff and do anything but run screaming from it. Well, perhaps drop trou and pee on it...

This is the Conference that tried to run it's own Network not so long ago. No one tuned in, and they got hit with fees based on underperformance to the tune of $50,000,000. Now they are presented with full-on streaming delivery ("No one will watch! Just like last time!"), requiring a fee from each customer ("...And you want them to pay separately from their cable bill? Pay more for a channel they can't find? You expect millions of PAC fans to suddenly hand you their credit cards so they can watch on their phone? What kind of idiots do you think we are?"), with a rosy picture of what monies they may reap if all goes perfectly ("Well, what happens when it doesn't? You know, like last time!").

Honestly, it's a wonder Kliavkoff made it out of the room alive...

jack the frog

I cannot believe that any of the remaining PAC Members would look at this "deal" from Kliavkoff and do anything but run screaming from it. Well, perhaps drop trou and pee on it...

This is the Conference that tried to run it's own Network not so long ago. No one tuned in, and they got hit with fees based on underperformance to the tune of $50,000,000. Now they are presented with full-on streaming delivery ("No one will watch! Just like last time!"), requiring a fee from each customer ("...And you want them to pay separately from their cable bill? Pay more for a channel they can't find? You expect millions of PAC fans to suddenly hand you their credit cards so they can watch on their phone? What kind of idiots do you think we are?"), with a rosy picture of what monies they may reap if all goes perfectly ("Well, what happens when it doesn't? You know, like last time!").

He must be a helluva salesman.

Brevity Frog

Perhaps what GK is selling is early adoption of new tech. If streaming is the future, and linear is dead man walking, perhaps he is saying that the PAC will be able to take full advantage of the streaming platforms in the coming years.

Hmm. It all sounds good I guess but will there really be much of a learning curve? And if so won’t the big conferences just hire away the PAC’s know-how?

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area

If ASU were in charge he would have been end zoned.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Perhaps what GK is selling is early adoption of new tech. If streaming is the future, and linear is dead man walking, perhaps he is saying that the PAC will be able to take full advantage of the streaming platforms in the coming years.

Hmm. It all sounds good I guess but will there really be much of a learning curve? And if so won’t the big conferences just hire away the PAC’s know-how?

This is like saying that electric cars are the future so we won't allow anymore internal combustion engines. Maybe that's why he thought the California granola heads would love all streaming. They love being on the cutting edge before everyone else, no matter how bad the idea might be.