• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

East Coast

Tier 1
Yes, they own those stations, but not the content rights.
The talks between CW & PAC have ended anyway, as without a coast to coast network of owned stations and content, the CW does not provide a viable solution.
Also the PAC tier 2/3 games were the only ones being discussed.

So the P12 appears to be back at square one with roughly a $9m per team linear offer for 2 games/week, one analog and one digital, and a $13m streaming offer.
I'm going to preface this with I have no idea if the information below is accurate, but the numbers are believable to me.

What I saw was the CW's offer for everything was less than $200 million (or less than $20 million per team), with full coverage in the PAC's footprint. Whether the Nexstar (?) owned or other CW affiliated stations would carry the games was not guaranteed. The other number I saw was $140 for 3 games under the same circumstances, which is pretty much on par with the ESPN number. Combined with ESPN's 2 games, that will give them $23 million/team for all of their conference games plus a good chunk of the non conference games. I saw nothing about whether basketball or outlets for other sports were included.

Coverage for games on Ion's networks would be even worse.

Hemingway

I'm going to preface this with I have no idea if the information below is accurate, but the numbers are believable to me.

What I saw was the CW's offer for everything was less than $200 million (or less than $20 million per team), with full coverage in the PAC's footprint. Whether the Nexstar (?) owned or other CW affiliated stations would carry the games was not guaranteed. The other number I saw was $140 for 3 games under the same circumstances, which is pretty much on par with the ESPN number. Combined with ESPN's 2 games, that will give them $23 million/team for all of their conference games plus a good chunk of the non conference games. I saw nothing about whether basketball or outlets for other sports were included.

Combine that with the Big Ten getting a new commissioner just now and Oregon and Washington on the way out (likely). I don’t know what the prospects look like for everybody else.
there was this theory out there that Stanford , Cal Oregon and Washington all have been stalling for a Hope to be in the Big Ten together

frogfanRyoga

More just that a couple schools have decided the Big 12 is a better fit for them and they’d rather go now vs in ~5 years.
Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

82 Frog Fever

That would be close, I heard the CW was in the $15m per school range. In total they’re in the $22m - $25m range.
The PAC was looking for a coast to coast provider, CW doesn’t work because many stations have up to 100% of their content leased and would opt out, just as they did with LIV Golf. For instance, WGN in Chicago would never run P12 games.
The PAC has 5 games/week for 75% of the season, so ESPN’s $90m for 2 games sounds somewhat near a CW offer of $140m for 3 games + some out of conference. Although CW would only be Tier 2 & 3, so idk how that would figure in.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

Marchand's latest is here at 18:00-22:00. Not much, just suggests that no networks are in a hurry to close a deal and repeats his anonymously-sourced "watch Colorado".

Latest posts