• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Wexahu

presuming they even have the ability to stream video, most of the restaurants we have worked with are either using a service such as direct or some have cable to get the astros and rockets
Used to have Rangers games on quite a bit at home in past years, not because I really like watching baseball games, but just because it was about the only sport on in the summer. Don't have whatever service carries Bally's so literally didn't watch one inning of Rangers baseball last year, and didn't miss it a bit. Out of sight, out of mind.

Hemingway

Some of the PAC pumpers are hanging their hat of the 125mm I-Phones in the US that have the Apple TV app as a default. They seem to be ignoring the subscription plus model issue. I suppose this may come down to Apples ability to pay just about anything they want with 50b in cash plus the free cash flow. A PAC experiment is almost a rounding error for them and they have been looking for ways to deploy cash. Maybe these teams just cash checks for a few years as they fade into oblivion.
Isn’t the Pac Network and the previous tv deal what caused usc and ucla to leave?

Eight

Used to have Rangers games on quite a bit at home in past years, not because I really like watching baseball games, but just because it was about the only sport on in the summer. Don't have whatever service carries Bally's so literally didn't watch one inning of Rangers baseball last year, and didn't miss it a bit. Out of sight, out of mind.

same w astros' games, watch more in person each year than watch on tv until the playoffs because of their ridiculous tv
setup

actually listen to more games on the radio in the garage or working in the office

Eight

Isn’t the Pac Network and the previous tv deal what caused usc and ucla to leave?

the interesting thing is the late night games and limited primetime exposure wasn't a huge problem in the mid 2000's for usc when pete was the hc and they were one of the best programs in the country

things changed, facilities matter, more kids starting going east to play than staying in socal

guess part of that is because of the pac network, but a big part seemed to be very few schools in the pac were willing to do what was needed to compete with the schools in the sec, clemson, michigan, THE ohio state , etc..... and the money needed to make up those differences isn't coming from a bigger tv contract

HG73

The deal isn't even on Apple TV, it's as separate subscription on Apple TV+, and the numbers I've seen quoted look fairly similar to the cost of ESPN+. All you get are the PAC home games for that, just like the MLS season pass. It is a tough sell.
Yet another streaming service I won't need to buy.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Mountain West Wire: Fresno State Is In Talks With Big 12, Pac-12, Per Reports​

By Jeremy Mauss

The Pac-12 is in some trouble with its current negotiations for its next media rights deal. The league is out there in the public trying to land schools such as SMU and to a lesser degree behind the scenes with San Diego State.

Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff was scene at an SMU basketball on Feb. 9, a rare thing when expansion and realignment happens in back rooms. This one feels different and the Pac-12 could be seen as desperate.

San Diego State is a team to keep an eye on but so is Fresno State, and not just for the Pac-12.

Veteran Pacific Northwest reporter John Canzano has some nuggets about the Bulldogs talking to both the Big 12 and Pac-12.

Read more at https://mwwire.com/2023/02/17/fresno-state-is-in-talks-with-big-12-pac-12-per-reports/

Eight

By Jeremy Mauss

The Pac-12 is in some trouble with its current negotiations for its next media rights deal. The league is out there in the public trying to land schools such as SMU and to a lesser degree behind the scenes with San Diego State.

Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff was scene at an SMU basketball on Feb. 9, a rare thing when expansion and realignment happens in back rooms. This one feels different and the Pac-12 could be seen as desperate.

San Diego State is a team to keep an eye on but so is Fresno State, and not just for the Pac-12.

Veteran Pacific Northwest reporter John Canzano has some nuggets about the Bulldogs talking to both the Big 12 and Pac-12.

Read more at https://mwwire.com/2023/02/17/fresno-state-is-in-talks-with-big-12-pac-12-per-reports/

scheiss no on adding fresno

Hemingway

By Jeremy Mauss

lol. Pac 12 and the MWC are head for a conference collision.

LVH

The deal isn't even on Apple TV, it's as separate subscription on Apple TV+, and the numbers I've seen quoted look fairly similar to the cost of ESPN+. All you get are the PAC home games for that, just like the MLS season pass. It is a tough sell.
Subscription Overload is a real thing. It seems like every business these days is moving to the wallet sucking subscription model, even for things that don't need it. My triathlon training plans moved from "purchase a full training plan at one price" to a subscription model. Why?

A lot of people dropped cable and went with streaming to save money, but all the streaming services these days probably have many people spending more than they spent on cable.

I don't subscribe to Apple TV or Apple TV+, and wouldn't because I don't want to add yet another subscription to my portfolio. No way am I alone

LVH

I watched every game of theirs when I lived in Las Vegas and could get them on MLB TV

But I can't watch them in DFW unless I get Spectrum(the only service that carried Bally's)

Limey Frog

By Jeremy Mauss

Canzano is a Pac 12 mouthpiece. If Yormark is interested in Fresno he needs his head examined and he will have burned all the capital he gained with the TV deal coup.

Eight

Subscription Overload is a real thing. It seems like every business these days is moving to the wallet sucking subscription model, even for things that don't need it. My triathlon training plans moved from "purchase a full training plan at one price" to a subscription model. Why?

A lot of people dropped cable and went with streaming to save money, but all the streaming services these days probably have many people spending more than they spent on cable.

I don't subscribe to Apple TV or Apple TV+, and wouldn't because I don't want to add yet another subscription to my portfolio. No way am I alone

aside from me, which might be hard for some here to believe, nothing irritates my wife more than finding a run trainer app she really likes only for it to go from free to a monthly subscription that is harder to cancel than a subscription to the 247 site

Limey Frog

I saw that the Arizona State president said they all feel confident there will be a deal within three weeks. That may be a true face-value statement, but it could also be publicly signaling to Kliavkoff that the deadline rumoured to have been given is serious (deal by April or else).

(Edit: comments are here -- https://arizonasports.com/story/3506701/asus-ray-anderson-hopes-pac-12-media-rights-deal-clarifies/

Comments start at 6:00 in the audio and don't sound at all like he's annoyed or that ASU is thinking about anything but staying with the Pac, even if the money isn't what they'd hoped.)

Last edited: