• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Kind of pointless unless you define what the total area you are considering is. For grins, I added all the county populations of Tarrant, Dallas and all the counties immediately surrounding them and got about 7.3M. Add Bexar, Travis, Hays, Williamson and all those contiguous counties and it’s about 6.2M. Not sure there is any point to this.

Panther City Frog

Kind of pointless unless you define what the total area you are considering is. For grins, I added all the county populations of Tarrant, Dallas and all the counties immediately surrounding them and got about 7.3M. Add Bexar, Travis, Hays, Williamson and all those contiguous counties and it’s about 6.2M. Not sure there is any point to this.
I say everybody whip em out and we’ll settle it once and for all….

Creeperfrog

If other cities can include others, Houston should get to include Sugarland, the woodlands, Galveston; how ab Bellaire (a municipal inside harris county, but not officially houston. Maybe just like west university). Let's go ahead and include san Antonio

fanatical frog

If other cities can include others, Houston should get to include Sugarland, the woodlands, Galveston; how ab Bellaire (a municipal inside harris county, but not officially houston. Maybe just like west university). Let's go ahead and include san Antonio

While we're at it we could also include Beaumont, Port Arthur and Orange and everything in between...lot's of tv sets over that way.

Limey Frog

Now that the OUT Exit is done, it looks like Yormark is focusing on Big-12 Expansion!
B
ig-12 Expansion!

I still don't see this working out, honestly. I think the Pac 12 will pull a good-enough deal together for everyone to sign for five years. But Yormark is doing what he can and seems to be playing it well: he has a plan with actual numbers; if the target institutions reach a sufficient level of dissatisfaction with the media rights, revenue sharing, and expansion situation in the Pac... you never know. It's worth a pop.

y2kFrog

See Rutgers. They would have never gotten in the Big 10 if they weren't part of the NYC media market. All those subscriber fees is what led to BIG becoming the #2 money conference and helped keep the Big 10 Network afloat until it took off.

This is also why Oregon and Washington is not inevitable as some think. The Big 10 cares about 1 thing. Media markets….not good teams, not tradition or anything else that someone could think of.

Frozen Frog

Could add Pasadena to that.....

Now we’re getting ridiculous! Pasadena is not even close to Houston. It’s in California!

Also I never said SMU was getting in to any conference. I threw in Rice based solely on academics and location. Not saying they are a great option for tv dollars, but they certainly have some appeal to certain schools in the PAC.

I think if the Big Ten expands it starts with Notre Lame. I think Mizzou is always trying to join the Big Ten. Illinois doesn’t appeal to St. Louis and Nebraska never brought KC. If the Big Ten goes west I think they take Stanford over Washington and maybe Oregon. I’ve never thought Washington moves a needle that much. I also think the Big Ten could look east. Boston College along with Syracuse and UConn might have some appeal. I don’t think UVA, UNC, and Duke would be considered for the Big Ten, but at this point nothing the Big Ten does seems to make sense.

I do think the PAC schools are looking. There really isn’t anyone the Pac can add unless you start with poaching the Big 12.

fanatical frog

Now we’re getting ridiculous! Pasadena is not even close to Houston. It’s in California!

Also I never said SMU was getting in to any conference. I threw in Rice based solely on academics and location. Not saying they are a great option for tv dollars, but they certainly have some appeal to certain schools in the PAC.

I think if the Big Ten expands it starts with Notre Lame. I think Mizzou is always trying to join the Big Ten. Illinois doesn’t appeal to St. Louis and Nebraska never brought KC. If the Big Ten goes west I think they take Stanford over Washington and maybe Oregon. I’ve never thought Washington moves a needle that much. I also think the Big Ten could look east. Boston College along with Syracuse and UConn might have some appeal. I don’t think UVA, UNC, and Duke would be considered for the Big Ten, but at this point nothing the Big Ten does seems to make sense.

I do think the PAC schools are looking. There really isn’t anyone the Pac can add unless you start with poaching the Big 12.
I assume that was TIC. If not, I was talking about Pasadena Texas which is more or less a suburb of Houston.

Frozen Frog

I knew you were talking about Pasadena,TX. It was just getting a little silly with tv markets.

Something just hit me. Is the Big Ten in a position to force Notre Lame’s hand. Think about this scenario. The Big Ten adds Stanford and Boston College. They create a schedule that makes it virtually impossible for Notre Lame to schedule Big Ten football games. Now they have killed almost all of NDs rivalry games. Even worse they could force ND out of conference for hockey and replace them with North Dakota. What would that do to Notre Lame? I’m not putting anything past the Big Ten when it comes to killing off Notre Lame if they don’t join the Big Ten soon.