• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

Virginia Frog

Negotiating maneuver, totally... lol ! Lets see how committed they are when Oregon/Wash UA/Utah or Stanford/Cal leave.
The natural fist step for the leftovers is to affirm their interest in "saving" the PAC. I don't blame them, I get it.

If UW,UO, UC and Stanford continue their quest to follow USC/UCLA, this all falls apart. Then, maybe this is a ploy for the PAC leftover 6-8 to MERGE with the B12.

Next, they need to assess their long-term dollar value "as is." Talk to the TV folk, pro forma their costs in a 10-team lineup, and

Explore their expansion options:
a) back to 12 (2 to 4 from: SDSU, UNLV, Boise St, Fresno) and the respective numbers.
b) contemplate a Big12 raid. BYU, Kansas, OSU, TT, TCU, Baylor/Houston (4-6 schools.)
or, a fusion of both in whole or part.

I don't believe that the newB12 members including BYU will have enough of a financial gain to make any movement and break up the new B12 configuration of '25-'26.

Cougar/Frog

The natural fist step for the leftovers is to affirm their interest in "saving" the PAC. I don't blame them, I get it.

If UW,UO, UC and Stanford continue their quest to follow USC/UCLA, this all falls apart. Then, maybe this is a ploy for the PAC leftover 6-8 to MERGE with the B12.

Next, they need to assess their long-term dollar value "as is." Talk to the TV folk, pro forma their costs in a 10-team lineup, and

Explore their expansion options:
a) back to 12 (2 to 4 from: SDSU, UNLV, Boise St, Fresno) and the respective numbers.
b) contemplate a Big12 raid. BYU, Kansas, OSU, TT, TCU, Baylor/Houston (4-6 schools.)
or, a fusion of both in whole or part.

I don't believe that the newB12 members including BYU will have enough of a financial gain to make any movement and break up the new B12 configuration of '25-'26.
There is no interest from any XII member, even the new ones, to join the PAC. The XII is a better conference with a better future.

Any MWC team would jump to join even if teams left.

CountryFrog

Not a particularly accurate summary of their statements, which are pretty easy to find and pretty easy to poke big 12 sized holes in.

Please, I need you to not only post links to the statements but I'd also like you to condense them down into the Spark Notes version so that I don't have to click anything and I don't have to read more than a sentence or two.

Also, I'm about to be home so if you could get my bath water running and put some pumpkin pancakes on the griddle then that would be great too.

Canzano: Pac-12 eyeing "loose partnership" with another conference​

Source: CEO Group is plotting.​

I wrote a column this morning about Oregon’s wishes to be included in the Big Ten or SEC. Phil Knight apparently doesn’t want to be left out. The Ducks would love nothing more than to tailgate the Trojans and Bruins into the Big Ten and a media rights windfall. But at this point, Oregon doesn’t appear to have an invitation.

The Pac-12 issued a statement on Tuesday morning, indicating that conference leadership was given the go-ahead to accelerate its media rights negotiations. I took this to mean that a potential TV partner (Read: ESPN) might be initiating the “loose partnership” discussions.
“Geography aside,” Thompson told me Tuesday, “(the ACC) has significantly better TV markets than the Big 12.”

The ACC’s television markets include Boston, Atlanta, Washington D.C., Miami, Tampa, Louisville and Orlando, among others. Syracuse has some reach in the New York market, too. The Pac-12’s footprint includes Seattle, Phoenix, the Bay Area, Denver and Salt Lake City.

The Big 12 university media markets include Dallas, Houston, Washington, D.C., San Antonio, and Kansas City, among others.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

The University of Oregon has made no statement of any kind, I believe, on USC/UCLA or anything else. That's a very pregnant silence. I don't know what Arizona State and Colorado will do, and I don't like how few semi-credible reports there are just being recycle by everyone else. There really isn't much smoke yet at all. But if this is happening, statements like these serve to signal that we weren't the ones whose lack of commitment killed the conference; I left this marriage after you killed it.

westoverhillbilly

I kind of wish that someone ruthless such as a network executive or Mark Bezos/Amazon would privately pull a chickengrunt move more ruthless than the Big 8/SWC and shed some dead weight among both the Big 12 and PAC leftovers, but not so far that TCU would be among them.

A 12-14 member (not 20) league. The 16 team league just brings back bad memories of our old WAC that was so unwieldy that the programs in the geographic middle just gutted it after realizing it was not a beneficient model. I know this is very unlikely.