• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

Endless Purple

What makes UW and Oregon so attractive relative to, say, ASU and Colorado? Or really any of the other PAC schools?

Their remoteness of those schools would seem to counter many of the positives they bring. And they aren't exactly in a college sports crazy part of the country. Do they really bring in the eyeballs that much?
Simple, Oregon and Washington are pretty much considered top 25 value properties in most all metrics while ASU and Colorado are not.

Endless Purple

In regards to Amazon (and other streaming services), I have yet to walk into a sports bar and have them turn a TV on Amazon prime. A lot of people actually watch sports outside the home in group environments.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
In regards to Amazon (and other streaming services), I have yet to walk into a sports bar and have them turn a TV on Amazon prime. A lot of people actually watch sports outside the home in group environments.
Sports Bars generally run Directv because it lends itself to lots of channels and the equipment is easy to arrange and use. And, Sports Bars cater to their clientele, and would never intentionally do things that would drive them away. If Amazon were to become a major player in Sports Streaming, the Bars would adapt somehow.

And, as SuperBarr says, they are adapting already.

vicarfrog

I will admit to never having watched a game on Amazon. Yeah, I have all the ability to do so, but I just haven't had the level of interest necessary to remember that there is a game on.

Is there a difference in how it is presented? By this, I mean same basic set up, same camera angles, same kind of announcer structure? The Network game presentation is all pretty much interchangeable, and since they hired Network people to do these jobs, I make the assumption that it is largely the same. How bad are commercials?

I feel like it has some unique camera angles and commercials. But maybe it's all in my head, but it feels almost like it's pre-recorded or something.

Simple, Oregon and Washington are pretty much considered top 25 value properties in most all metrics while ASU and Colorado are not.
I am wary of Oregon—it is a realively small school (22,300 students) in a relatively small state (4.2 million). As an undergrad university they don’t pull the best of students according to SAT/ACT scores (similar to Texas Tech), but as a research university they are impressively AAU with only 3700 postgrad students.

The football team is popular now because they have had a run of good football and fans like their variety of uniforms, the colors of bright green trimmed in yellow, and I guess, ducks—how cute. Is that, along with being a state flagship and having AAU research enough to register as top 25 value? Top 25 in current popularity, yes, but value in the long haul? But maybe long haul doesn’t matter when the new TV contract is just around the corner.

Maybe flagship Nebraska could be a comparable, but the Cornhuskers have long tradition and reside on the prairie where there is less to see and do. Their history is a huge source of state pride—a different energy than Oregon. We know the Pacific coast is not as enthusiastic about football as the rest of the country—a major factor in the PAC 12 slide, so be wary.

Last edited:
What makes UW and Oregon so attractive relative to, say, ASU and Colorado? Or really any of the other PAC schools?

Their remoteness of those schools would seem to counter many of the positives they bring. And they aren't exactly in a college sports crazy part of the country. Do they really bring in the eyeballs that much?
Yes. Markets and brand strength.

Wexahu

Yes. Markets and brand strength.
I guess I don't see it from here. When Washington is playing, that doesn't seem any different to me than if it's any other PAC school. And is the Seattle market that important for college football relative to Denver or Phoenix? Is the Husky brand that much stronger than the Buffaloes or Sun Devils? I know ASU is kind of "new money" in college football but that is a huge school in a market that is growing fast.

froginaustin

I heard a report that the legislatures in Washington and Oregon said U can’t go without state.

Same thing was said about Oklahoma. Interesting-- apparently there are seriously more OkSU alums in their lege than there are OU alums. I know OU has the law school (always a big deal concerning influence in a state legislature, it seems), but OU also has a much bigger IIRC fraction of its student body from out of their state, most of whom leave Oklahoma when they're done with college. Anyway, it seems OkSU can't make OU take them along.

And the B12 rump can heave a sigh of relief. If we lost OkState as well as OUT, it would be that much tougher to keep the B12 relevant, I would assume.

Endless Purple

I am wary of Oregon—it is a realively small school (22,300 students) in a relatively small state (4.2 million). As an undergrad university they don’t pull the best of students according to SAT/ACT scores (similar to Texas Tech), but as a research university they are impressively AAU with only 3700 postgrad students.

The football team is popular now because they have had a run of good football and fans like their variety of uniforms—the colors of bright green trimmed in yellow, and I guess, ducks. Is that, along with being a state flagship and having AAU research enough to register as top 25 value? Top 25 in current popularity, yes, but value in the long haul? But maybe long haul doesn’t matter when the new TV contract is just around the corner.
Probably a fair assessment. I cannot disagree with the concern. Their 70s and 80s looked about like TCUs, but overall a lifetime .571 career winning percent.

tcudoc

Sports Bars generally run Directv because it lends itself to lots of channels and the equipment is easy to arrange and use. And, Sports Bars cater to their clientele, and would never intentionally do things that would drive them away. If Amazon were to become a major player in Sports Streaming, the Bars would adapt somehow.

And, as SuperBarr says, they are adapting already.
And I bet Amazon could have it there by the next day.