• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

tcufrogprince1

Lawyer Frogs. Isnt there eventually going to be some anti trust laws that come into play in college football? I just dont see how this continues until we get a league with only 30 teams and the rest of college football goes limp. Programs would literally just die off. Thoughts?

BYU fan

Oh ok guy, that’s it? The “only reason”?
Pretty much. You were in Conference USA purgatory. The BYU/TCU/Utah trio in the mid to late 2000's lifted the MWC up. There was even discussion of it supplanting the Big East as BCS conference had it stayed together. IIRC, the debate over the 9th MWC school in 2005 was between Boise State and TCU. Boise held the geographic edge but BYU was instrumental in getting TCU and into Texas. Would your program have ever risen up without BYU and Utah and the MWC competition at the time?

BYU fan

You mean when you after you meet in secret with Airport Al and stabbed the WAC in the back when the WAC Commish was in the hospital?
You backed us in the MWC to try and redeem your shame for what you did to us and the WAC.
There were 8 schools involved in that move. The WAC was too large and uwieldy. Stretching from Houston (Rice) to Hawaii. BYU and Utah wanted to get into a conference and start playing old rivals again. No San Jose States, Tulsas, or Rice.

froginmn

That was Boston Scientific. They hosted St. Jude that day. It was a huge clerical scheduling error in the ESPN front office. I’m sure several people got fired that day. On the bright side, I believe that Lee Corso was in the right place at the right time to get an emergency pacemaker placed.
And Sarah McLachlan performed beautifully that day.

froginaustin

If there is $s in it, the legal profession will figure it out !

or at least think about it.

Chasing antitrust violations is tricky, and for deep pockets only. Litigation can be very expensive, and take forever to resolve with no paydays** until the party's over.

FWIW.

** ED: usually, for plaintiffs' counsel

Big Frog II

There were 8 schools involved in that move. The WAC was too large and uwieldy. Stretching from Houston (Rice) to Hawaii. BYU and Utah wanted to get into a conference and start playing old rivals again. No San Jose States, Tulsas, or Rice.
I don't disagree with that. WAC should have taken only UNLV and TCU and stopped. Adding Rice, Tulsa, SMU, and SJSU was not wise.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
There was even discussion of it supplanting the Big East as BCS conference had it stayed together.
Craig Thompson and Chris Del Conte pitched CBS that very thing, and they passed. They did this after the 2008 Season, when the MWC was indeed a Power Conference, with lowly Wyoming going into Tennessee and beating them, and Utah ripping Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

None of that mattered. The East Coast is where the ratings are, and CBS could have cared less about a bunch of schools out in the dusty West.

Froginbedford

What? A 16-team conference spanning four time zones was too large and unwieldy? Old rivalries were something to be cherished and preserved as opposed to playing teams never before on conference schedules? Hmm....seems as though the times and standards have a-changed since the 1990s....

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
What? A 16-team conference spanning four time zones was too large and unwieldy? Old rivalries were something to be cherished and preserved as opposed to playing teams never before on conference schedules? Hmm....seems as though the times and standards have a-changed since the 1990s....
I think the fashionable term is "situational ethics."