• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Basketball Tournament Thread

Chico Dusty

Agreed, I was just commenting on his shots today. Unfortunately, the false confidence led to the inevitable hero syndrome and three or four lazy layup shots and a hacking foul at the end, coupled with the awful FT shooting, was a late game killer.

Personally, any guard that shoots under 65% FT's should not be allowed to practice and should just shoot FT's all practice long. K-state has just shown every other team how to beat TCU. Just amazing that someone can play hack a shaq with a PG.

Yeah, I hear ya. It was tough go in the second half. Hopefully, we’ll get back on track for the tourney!

Dogfrog

You implied that we are destined to be crappy FT's shooters at the PG position without Fisher. I think actually practicing for hours at a time improves FT %'s. If someone can hit three pointers, but can't hit a FT on a consistent basis...it is purely a confidence and focus issue.

Agree it is confidence and focus. Has been all season. You are implying JD hasn’t had him working on it over the past two seasons.

Also, on another topic, our overall shooting. We need to give the opponent some credit occasionally. KSU plays us super tough defensively. Noi and Miller got open looks they missed but most of our other scorers including KW and Bane were well defended.

Last edited:

Froggy Style

Agree it is confidence and focus. Has been all season. You are implying JD hasn’t had him working on it over the past two seasons.

I am saying that for both AR, KWilliams, and KNoi. The second two hit 40% three pointers which is a terrific number and says they are pure shooters. If you hit that high of a percentage and miss so many FT's, then it is clearly not a priority. FT's are the boring part of the game, but they are the one certainty that wins a loses ball games. We have now lost no less than four games this year for this reason, and it kept us out of the tournament last year. This one thing should have these three guys and Hamdy in the gym shooting with coaches for at least one hour per day until the tournament.

Simply a repetition game and someone as athletic as AR could easily hit 80% with practice. Most of his Ft's aren't even close banging off the back of the rim. It's really pretty pathetic.

Realtorfrog

I find it interesting and this is not an excuse but an observation!!!

The Big 12 Tournament uses a Wilson basketball

We use a Nike ball at home.

Tech uses an Under Armour ball at home.

I know they are all the same size, shape, weight but the leather and seams would be a little different. Again just an observation I find interesting. I had a favorite brand of basketball growing up because it felt “right”

Purp

I'll go out on a limb and say that you can't make 60% of free throws over the course of an entire basketball season if you haven't played since high school. Unless high school for you was just last year.
I never played basketball competitively in my life; only in the driveway shooting around. I'm now 37 and last time I shot free throws was in Iraq in 2011. We had a contest within my platoon and I made 7 of 10 after missing the first 2. I lost to my gunner by one shot.

I believe free throw shooting is as much a head game as golf. I went up expecting to make 3-4 of 10 so I had nothing to lose and nothing to think about. ARob can shoot free throws better, but he's got to get his head right for it to happen.

Wexahu

I never played basketball competitively in my life; only in the driveway shooting around. I'm now 37 and last time I shot free throws was in Iraq in 2011. We had a contest within my platoon and I made 7 of 10 after missing the first 2. I lost to my gunner by one shot.

I believe free throw shooting is as much a head game as golf. I went up expecting to make 3-4 of 10 so I had nothing to lose and nothing to think about. ARob can shoot free throws better, but he's got to get his head right for it to happen.

This. Some guys just really have trouble shooting when not in motion and in the flow of the game. It's a mental issue, just like guys who struggle with short putts but are very good from 15-20 feet.

What the hell are you talking about??? Where was that said anywhere in my post??? If you don’t know that Arob is a terrible free throw shooter and always has been your either an idiot or don’t watch the games very often. I even said he had a good scoring game my post was exclusively about those free throws at the end. Good lord people like you piss me off

Frog Fountain? Say, 8 PM?

I haven’t seen the game yet but listening to it it seems that we missed several attempts at or near the rim. You miss chippies and free throws then you become very susceptible. Time to rest and recharge our batteries and get focused for the dance.

f_399

We had a game wherein we shot freethrows so well that it kept us in the game.

Was that at home vs Kansas? Something like 24-25 from ft

MTfrog5

Just by looking at the play by play breakdown on espn, did kstate defend well? First half we have 12 points at the 16 minute mark and 22 with five minutes left. Also we scored 10 points the last 12 minutes of regulation even with Bane’s 3. Offense is way too good to have two different stretches like that. Even with that, we make free throws and finish around the rim, we win.

Latest posts