• The KillerFrogs

Big 12(-2 or 3) looking at TCU

JimSwinkLives!

Just throwing this out there for the hell of it:

What if the Big 12, in order to stabilize the conference, opts to go back to twelve members and invites the following: BYU, Air Force, and TCU. BYU and Air Force replace Colorado and Nebraska in the North, and TCU replaces A&M in the South. Should TCU accept an invite in that specific circumstance? Would that really make any difference?

BABYFACE

Word is for TV purposes($$), SEC would like the DC market. VT most likely tops their list. Maryland could deliver that also. I see Virginia being offered next. Hypothetically if all 3 of theses were asked by the SEC but turned them down would they ask WVU or UNC next? I don't see UNC leaving the ACC.
IMO, if asked, VT will accept.

BABYFACE

The big key in the dominos for the Big East is the Big 10. If the BIg 10 stays pat, I don't see the Big East losing anybody right now. With that thought and the new TV contract coming up, the Big East is a much safer conference to be in than the Big 12 pertaining to TCU.

BABYFACE

What if the Big 12, in order to stabilize the conference, opts to go back to twelve members and invites the following: BYU, Air Force, and TCU. BYU and Air Force replace Colorado and Nebraska in the North, and TCU replaces A&M in the South. Should TCU accept an invite in that specific circumstance? Would that really make any difference?

It all hinges on if UT wakes up and realizes they are destroying the conference. If UT doesn't change their ways, OU is the next to leave. In a perfect world, UT decides to go Indy and announces this next week, OU steps up and says they are going to rebuild the Big 12 and captain the ship. I would much rather have TCU in the Big 12(with 12 members) minus a UT. UT, currently is the cancer in the Big 12.

Endless Purple

Really need to try to bide our time and see if VT is #14 and then if WVU will hold with the BE or run wimpering to the ACC to backfill.

WVU holds their own in the BE, we stay in BE. Otherwise???? Can't say I ever want us to be in a conference with UT.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The big key in the dominos for the Big East is the Big 10. If the BIg 10 stays pat, I don't see the Big East losing anybody right now. With that thought and the new TV contract coming up, the Big East is a much safer conference to be in than the Big 12 pertaining to TCU.

Consider this: ESPN has been rebuffed by the Big East in TV talks, thus throwing the bidding open to other parties. ESPN stands to lose a considerable sum of money due to this action. ESPN is a vengeful bunch.

ESPN has been the Unindicted Co-Conspirator in more than a few Conference re-alignments and TV deal shenanigans of late. What makes you think that they could not tear the Big East apart simply out of spite? Say, lean on the Big 10 to take a team, the SEC to take another... Suddenly, no Big East.

ESPN blows goats.

froginaustin

My uninformed opinion is that no TV network dictates to the B1G.

I would have the same opinion about the SEC and networks, except that the SEC now wants something that ESPN may have the power to withhold.

ESPN trying to bust the Big East might blow up a profitable basketball deal for that network. How ironic if bball plays a serious role in preserving the football league.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
ESPN has done several things that don't make a whole lot of sense. They still employ the horrible Craig James. They suspended an excellent writer because he ghost-wrote a book on events embarrasing to the network.

Dispassionate, rational people don't do this sort of stuff...

I'm just saying don't discount the wrath of ESPN in the upcoming maelstrom of re-alignment.

Kaiser

No. Big XII would need equal revenue sharing, a conference network, and the Big East to lose a team for me to believe that TCU would have a better future in the B12.

asleep003

Clarity.... UT is only in the LH12-5 long enough to see if their network works. If it goes according to plan, they're gone! A&M should be gone long before that, if not in a few weeks. KU is supposedly in talks with BE. Missouri was the 1st to try to leave LH12-5 last summer, but beat out by Nebraska to the B10 at the last moment... And they'll talk to the BE if they're not the 14th SEC team.

The B10 is more interested in the NY and NJ TV markets... which doesn't beat down the Caliber of BE Football and could be replaced with possibles of Mizzou/KU/or even a BC, if there is the right Paycheck, from a Network(if they[BC] were included). Do not believe for a moment, BE goes down ... as there is more $s waiting for WVU in the Big East than at the ACC.

TCU is not a player... unless UT leaves and by some miraculous chance, a group of OU/OSU/MIZZOU/KU come to TCU and say, we have made our exit fee for the 4 of us financially impossible to ever leave the conference... and would you come aboard..?.. and by the way, we are adding a Houston mkt team and an Academy, who has a national following too... other than that, the Toads are going happily to the BIG EAST!!!

Cheers!

Houston Frog

Consider this: ESPN has been rebuffed by the Big East in TV talks, thus throwing the bidding open to other parties. ESPN stands to lose a considerable sum of money due to this action. ESPN is a vengeful bunch.

ESPN has been the Unindicted Co-Conspirator in more than a few Conference re-alignments and TV deal shenanigans of late. What makes you think that they could not tear the Big East apart simply out of spite? Say, lean on the Big 10 to take a team, the SEC to take another... Suddenly, no Big East.

ESPN blows goats.

tumblr_kpfrmrBsDH1qziyd9o1_500_thumb.png

60s Frog

Tier 1
:ph34r:I was not a fan of the BE move last year, but that's done. we're going to the BD.
IF [and I rate the odds at 1 in 500] TCU got an invite from the Longhorn Conference and Network, the best answer in my book is, "Sorry, we're keeping our commitments to the BE. You and your shrinking conference will have to do without our help."
And WHY change from the BE to a conf that lives only as long as UT can't find more revenue elsewhere. As Yoda said of the Longhorn conference, "Doomed to fail is it. . ." :ph34r:

Latest posts