• The KillerFrogs

Big 12(-2 or 3) looking at TCU

SnoSki

From LHN network (aka ESPN):
Adding one school, at least to start with, is the most likely scenario. The Big 12 has interest in Notre Dame, Arkansas, BYU or TCU, a source within the conference confirmed to Schad

Picture%2031.png

laughing.gif

403014022_bwahahaha_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

I think that about conveys it.

Houston Frog

While I understand all the standard reasons listed as to why the Big XII doesn't need us (already own the DFW market, small fan base, etc...), I still think they'd be silly not to try and get us. You know what makes a strong conference more than new markets and all that? Good football

People want to watch good matchups on TV, and that's what drives ratings.

Now, that's from the Big XII perspective.... from the TCU perspective, I don't think I'd want to go under the current circumstances. I like our niche we have in the Big East

mtmedlin

When the SEC takes an ACC school, I really doubt that a Big East team is taken. There is a very good chance that the BE team will want to wait and see what our contract looks like. Why turn down money?

The ACC was really stupid in the way they did their contract. They sold EVERYTHING. 1st,2nd and 3rd tier rights for $11.9 million per team per year. The Big East was offered $140 million just for 1st tier rights. Lets say worst case scenario is that we are equal to the ACC at roughly $12 million. I still dont see a Big East team paying $5 million exit fee and giving up the historical games to jump to the ACC. You have to remember that the ACC has ALOT more teams that the B10 and SEC woul want compared to the BE. In the end, being less desirable is actually giving us more stability.

btw... some of you know that I have a connection in ND and that he is usually rather correct in what he tells me. I will say that you have no need to worry about us being in the ACC range. The Initial offer from Comcast will surpass the ACC by at least 20%. ND has been talking with Comcast. They have a contract with them and it is permissable for them to talk. ESPN has an exclusive with the BE, so the BE cannot talk with Comcast but lets just say that Marinatto is walking around with confidence for a reason.

just cause I love the frogs, AD Zenger was on the phone with AD Swarbrick last week. Not certain of all that was said, but was suggested that their keeping communication open and talking about how firmly commited ND is to the BE.

PhillyFrog

You're certainly barking up the right telephone pole.

A couple of wild cards for the Big East would be Navy and Boston College. BC's never been all that happy with the ACC, and the Middies could get antsy if the Big-12 picks up Air Force.

Don't think anything will happen before 2012 though.

It probably would, and I've been really worried about that. But all we can do is wait and see what happens. There are sequences of events that make the above scenario less likely. With some help from the football gods, you might actually see the Big East gain and the ACC lose out -- something I was convinced just a few months ago could not possibly happen.

Speculating as briefly as possible: Longhorn Conference can't land a good Aggy replacement so OU decides to bail, taking three schools with them to the Pac. Kansas schools to BE. If SEC follows suit and decides to go to 16 rather than just 14 there wouldn't be any options but ACC schools. With BE contract due for renegotiation next year, ACC schools leaving for the SEC, and Miami/UNC about to get beamed by the NCAA, I don't see the appeal of the ACC.

Big Frog II

Wasn't it just last year the pompous Bebee said we(the Big 12-2-1) has no interest in TCU what so ever. Now their expansion list is headed by Colorado State, SMU, Air Force, and Houston. Those teams certainly are an upgrade from A&M, Colorado, and Nebraska.

Waccy Frog

CDC is a full-on grown up. He knows we are 2 or 3 Big East defections away from wanting an invite to the Big 12. I hope the Big East holds and we join that league - no question. But we have to be responsible, flexible, and on the balls of our feet. Lots of things in movement out there.

Mike Brooks

My guess is they have been consulting with Fox regarding which teams they could add to not void the deal. If so, kinda tells the rest of the country how much cache we have accumulated. Can't think of another reason for the about face if true.

GoFrogs

(ahem) Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh hell nah!

I so look forward to the relationships/battles/travels in our future with the Big East.

Gunner

There is one myth repeated over and over. And that is OU and Texas control the TV markets in Texas. The Rose Bowl numbers proved that is purely nonsense. An ex media friend explained this to me recently.

Texas likes winners, and it is the whole state, not just the metroplex. Go watch the Rangers if you don't believe me. They are drawing bigtime, from all over the state and out. There is big interest in TCU and is shows up in different ways. An OU recruit, recently switched his committment and signed with TCU, after the Rose. Money for the new stadium is surprising the most optimistic money raisers at TCU. The Big East just corralled TCU trying to improve their football rep. ESPN keeps calling. Attendance now is hardly recognizeable, compared to 5 years ago.

Had a thought. If a couple years from now TCU is playing Syracuse, and Texas is playing Kansas, who would the average Texans watch. Might be alot of flipping goin' on. If the TCU game is played at Syracuse, it will be a media event. It Texas plays at Kansas, well, hit the flipper. :biggrin:

BABYFACE

Gunner I agree with you. Even our AD agrees, but he said the TV people aren't judging TCU's numbers in the Rose Bowl or a big name matchup, they are using the viewing audience for say TCU vs. Colorado St. The Nielsen meter hardly budges. TV execs are looking for scholls that routinely exceed 1 million or more per game in TV viewership. I say if TCU was playing UT, Tech, OSU, OU every season TCU games would have great ratings. TV execs want to see TCU get a million viewers on their own when TCU plays a nobody.

I have question does Tech get a million TV viewers when they play New Mexico or Directional U? There is no doubt they get that playing OSU. My point is TCU would get those numbers playing OSU. So it is king of like a vicious cycle.

West Texas Frog

My two cents:

1) TCU would look foolish and irresponsible to accept an invitation to the big 12 after already agreeing to the Big East. Can't imagine how bad the publicity backlash would be on pulling that stunt.

2) If the Big East pulls off the big TV contract everyone is expecting, then that really reduces the chances that the conference will lose a member school to the ACC. I fully expect the exit buyout clause to be raised from the current rate of $5 million, which will hopefully prevent defections as well. If the Big East doesn't lose Pitt. or West Virginia then there is no need for TCU to even give the big 12 any consideration as a fall back plan.

3) If we have learned anything at all with the exodus of Nebraska, Colorado and soon aggy...it is simply not wanting to be under the dictatorship of that school in Austin.

4) Four current members of the big 12 kicked TCU to the side of the curb when the SWC disbanded. I would like nothing more than getting an invite and then quickly say "Are you kidding? Not only No...but Hell No!"

macaroni

The Big East membership offer was proffered to TCU out of genuine respect. Us going to the Big12 now would be viewed by all the fans of OU, Tech, etc. as a desperation move creating a SWC-lite. We have much better recognition nationally than we do regionally where the biases persists, we need to just recognize that and go with it.

TCURiggs

The Big East membership offer was proffered to TCU out of genuine respect. Us going to the Big12 now would be viewed by all the fans of OU, Tech, etc. as a desperation move creating a SWC-lite. We have much better recognition nationally than we do regionally where the biases persists, we need to just recognize that and go with it.

You're way too wise, far too often. There's no place for that here.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
If the Big East doesn't lose Pitt. or West Virginia then there is no need for TCU to even give the big 12 any consideration as a fall back plan.

And that is going to be the next big question. The SEC's list of potential #14's isn't really that long, but these 2 schools are on the list. That's why I wished the Texas A&M gambit had played out longer. The longer this whole thing plays out, the more time the Big East has to get the TV situation worked out. So if the SEC decides to take its time looking for #14 (including possibly playing with 13 in the short term) that works in our favor.

Latest posts