• The KillerFrogs

Big 12(-2 or 3) looking at TCU

Razor

From LHN network (aka ESPN):
Adding one school, at least to start with, is the most likely scenario. The Big 12 has interest in Notre Dame, Arkansas, BYU or TCU, a source within the conference confirmed to Schad, though Notre Dame and Arkansas are considered unlikely.

What a difference a few decades makes.

Kaiser

Meh. Fark em. If the current Big East alignment holds together I'd prefer to stay there.

If Texas agrees to leave, then I'd be interested in the Big XII.

Edit: if Joe Schad says the Big XII is considering TCU then I am 100% certain that the Big XII has no interest in us. That guy has to be the worst "reporter" in America.

Deep Purple

This is purely PR. They're not seriously interested in TCU for several reasons:

• TCU would add to their football quality, but adds nothing to their broadcast footprint. Through UT and OU, the Bevo Conference is already well-established in the DFW media market. They don't need TCU for market reasons
  • With a 43,000-capacity football stadium (48,000-50,000 with SRO), TCU doesn't offer an attractive road venue. If we expanded to 50,000 capacity, perhaps, but we're not there yet.
  • Unlike most teams in the Bevo Conference in most years, TCU is a genuine threat to semi-regularly beat UT and OU, possibly in their house, but particularly in Fort Worth. Not sure about OU, but UT definitely doesn't want increased risk of on-field competition.
  • Even outside the of the conference, TCU is already making significant inroads into poaching Texas recruits that UT and OU have also targeted. Why give TCU a bigger in-state recruiting profile than we already have?
  • If they were to offer TCU, there is a genuine possibility TCU would decline and opt to stay with the Big East due to equal revenue-sharing and maintaining a football identity independent of the smothering sway of UT. That would be humiliating and unacceptable.
It ain't gonna happen.

Metropolis777

Tell them to get equal revenue sharing of $20 million per school for everyone for the ABC/ESPN first and second tier rights, ditch LHN, create a Big XII network with equal revenue sharing to pick up the 3rd tier rights and we'll talk.

Until there's equality, no dice.

PurplePutt

Tell them to get equal revenue sharing of $20 million per school for everyone for the ABC/ESPN first and second tier rights, ditch LHN, create a Big XII network with equal revenue sharing to pick up the 3rd tier rights and we'll talk.

Until there's equality, no dice.

+ I would tie it to adding Arkansas, BYU, ND, TCU, AZ, ASU, Louisville, and Utah to go to 16 and just go ahead and beat the rush. All of that obviously complete horse [Craig James] and would never happen.

Stiff Arm Frog

I really hope we get an invite, and I really CDC records himself telling the Big12-? where they can stick that invite.

You know, for posterity and general amusement.

Nick Danger

If TCU is suddenly being added to the candidate list, it's because they're discovering everybody they've approached so far is "unlikely"! Well, except for Houston and SMU . . :rolleyes:

Atomic Frawg

T. Boone doesn't want us in that conference, either. Said so himself. There was a link a while back where he dogged us out. Seent it myself.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
As was discussed yestiddy, this list is, well, funny. Just who do these BIGXII spokesdrones thik they are anyway?

Would Arkansas drop out of the SEC (and equal revenue sharing) to step down and join an unstable BIGXII (with most of the money going to UT) just cause DeLoss asked them? No.

Would ND give up its exclusive NBC gig (where it gets all the money) and join the BIGXII (where UT gets all the money)? No.

Would BYU? No.

Why would we?

UT has shown, time and again, that they cannot be trusted. They run the BIGXII and brook no compromise. Why would we give up all that we have gained just to suit the whims of DeLoss Dodds?

Oh, and ESPN blows goats.

Armadillo

The Big 12-2-1 has turned into the biggest joke in college football. I like our alignment with the Big East.

I also it's not as easy as just picking up the phone and bringing Kansas and (possibly) Mizzou (sorry Mizzou, you're probably not going to the Big 10 or SEC) into the Big East, but the Big East should be targeting those 2 the moment ATM leaves. Just my opinion, and I'm sure it stinks like the rest of the ones on here. But NO to the Longhorn Conference.

Could not agree more on almost all of this, but there is more to the story here. One, like some said, this is not going to happen anyway. We are not going to get the invite, basically because of what Endless said. Two, if we did, then we would have to listen because we have no idea what the future Big East is going to be right now.

In a perfect world, TAMU stays in the Big 9 or 10 or whatever they are and nothing else happens. The Big East is a great place for us, but we need the schools to stay in tact. We need to play W Virginia and all of the other schools up there.

On a side note, I think S Florida is about to hit a new level also. I think Holtz was a great hire there and will prove to be a next level type of guy.

Limey Frog

Please, Lord, no.

[EDIT: Just saw this from the Tulsa World. Bob Stoops making open comments yesterday about his feelings on a further diminished 9-team Longhorn Conference. Pretty much gave it a thumbs down.]

HToady

Really? Nobody likes this?

We could rekindle some of our old SWC rivalries, away games would be a car ride away.

We could be "on par" with Bay......oh wait.

Never mind.

fanatical frog

Could not agree more on almost all of this, but there is more to the story here. One, like some said, this is not going to happen anyway. We are not going to get the invite, basically because of what Endless said. Two, if we did, then we would have to listen because we have no idea what the future Big East is going to be right now.

In a perfect world, TAMU stays in the Big 9 or 10 or whatever they are and nothing else happens. The Big East is a great place for us, but we need the schools to stay in tact. We need to play W Virginia and all of the other schools up there.

On a side note, I think S Florida is about to hit a new level also. I think Holtz was a great hire there and will prove to be a next level type of guy.

Agree. But, I think Schad has his wires crossed....all the reasons the Big nine previously had for not inviting TCU are still in place....I have trouble believing we're on B9 radar. I believe they'd stay at nine before offering us.

In any event, the Big East as it's currently configured offers us more than the B9 does.

I'm not loading up the family car and driving to Mizzou or Kansas....Stillwater is also a bit more than just a good stretch of the legs. If I have to fight my way throughTSA security to an airplane I'd prefer to get off that plane in West Virginia or Connecticut....ok....even Pittsburgh.

Planks

When the ACC steals a school or two from the Big East to replace what they have lost to the SEC, does the Big 12 become more attractive? I'd rather be in the Big East over the Big 12, but I'll take the Big 12 over a Big East that no longer has West Virginia.

Limey Frog

When the ACC steals a school or two from the Big East to replace what they have lost to the SEC, does the Big 12 become more attractive? I'd rather be in the Big East over the Big 12, but I'll take the Big 12 over a Big East that no longer has West Virginia.

It probably would, and I've been really worried about that. But all we can do is wait and see what happens. There are sequences of events that make the above scenario less likely. With some help from the football gods, you might actually see the Big East gain and the ACC lose out -- something I was convinced just a few months ago could not possibly happen.

Speculating as briefly as possible: Longhorn Conference can't land a good Aggy replacement so OU decides to bail, taking three schools with them to the Pac. Kansas schools to BE. If SEC follows suit and decides to go to 16 rather than just 14 there wouldn't be any options but ACC schools. With BE contract due for renegotiation next year, ACC schools leaving for the SEC, and Miami/UNC about to get beamed by the NCAA, I don't see the appeal of the ACC.

Latest posts