• The KillerFrogs

BE rumor is back

Question is if SEC expands, will ACC and Big 10 expand and take teams from the Big East?

Adding 2 teams to the SEC would make 14 teams. Would the ACC and the Big 10 and the Pac-10 also expand to 14 teams then? Where do the rest end up? Most importantly where will TCU end up?

WVUFan

If a BCS conference goes beyond 12 all will expand. There will be no 14 team conferences there will be 16 team conferences

Limey Frog

If a BCS conference goes beyond 12 all will expand. There will be no 14 team conferences there will be 16 team conferences

I really am not convinced of that. The SEC is the only football league likely to respond to expansion with further expansion just for the sheer sake of "keeping up", because the SEC will do whatever necessary to protect its image as the unquestionable football giant.

The Big Ten was happy being the only 11-team conference for almost twenty years, even though everyone else thought that was stupid. They aren't going to go to 14 just because the SEC did. They would for more money, because they're a bunch of whores. But not just to "keep up". The Big Ten will go to 14 or 16 when Texas or ND is ready to join. The former won't happen as long as Texas has its own network. The Pac-16 might take UT plus BevoTV, but the Big Ten won't. The latter becomes less likely if UT goes independent. I think eventually UT will go independent and they and ND together will ensure a special deal for the two self-proclaimed exceptions. While that is kind of annoying because UT and ND people are sickeningly self obsessed, it does actually help the Big East by keeping the Big Ten at 12.

I doubt the ACC will fancy a membership arms race with the SEC because they can kiss FSU goodbye if they start one. I could actually see the SEC going to 14 to take TAMU and OU while everyone else stays at 12 and UT goes independent. This is the scenario I'm hoping for because it basically shafts Texas Tech. Hurrah for that!

froginaustin

. . . I could actually see the SEC going to 14 to take TAMU and OU while everyone else stays at 12 and UT goes independent. This is the scenario I'm hoping for because it basically shafts Texas Tech. Hurrah for that!
I can't imagine the SEC schools volunteering to cut their fixed TV pie 14 ways. For them to invite more members, there would have to be a clear way to increase conference revenue so that the newbies brought more than they pulled out.

Their TV contract is supposed to be fixed and long term. Maybe aTm can show them a creative way to increase revenue with a larger membership, but fixed TV payments. Creative, those Aggies are.

WVUFan

I really am not convinced of that. The SEC is the only football league likely to respond to expansion with further expansion just for the sheer sake of "keeping up", because the SEC will do whatever necessary to protect its image as the unquestionable football giant.

The Big Ten was happy being the only 11-team conference for almost twenty years, even though everyone else thought that was stupid. They aren't going to go to 14 just because the SEC did. They would for more money, because they're a bunch of whores. But not just to "keep up". The Big Ten will go to 14 or 16 when Texas or ND is ready to join. The former won't happen as long as Texas has its own network. The Pac-16 might take UT plus BevoTV, but the Big Ten won't. The latter becomes less likely if UT goes independent. I think eventually UT will go independent and they and ND together will ensure a special deal for the two self-proclaimed exceptions. While that is kind of annoying because UT and ND people are sickeningly self obsessed, it does actually help the Big East by keeping the Big Ten at 12.

I doubt the ACC will fancy a membership arms race with the SEC because they can kiss FSU goodbye if they start one. I could actually see the SEC going to 14 to take TAMU and OU while everyone else stays at 12 and UT goes independent. This is the scenario I'm hoping for because it basically shafts Texas Tech. Hurrah for that!

The B10 was not happy at 11. Every year they asked ND to join, they kept that spot open just for them. Last year they just decided to stop trying and get Nebraska.

Expansion will only continue if B12 teams get fed up and leave otherwise no conference will start expanding (except BE as they are not at 12)

the SEC will not pull a quick trigger for A$M as it is now apparent that the B10 and Pac12 are not going to expand. My guess is that they will say yes but it would take a while to reach that decision

macaroni

Not necessarily. ESPN is against the superconference idea and has been willing to fork over a lot of money to keep it from happening, and they are working in lockstep with others who have a vested interest in maintaining the current bowl system. The Big 10 Network has been such a financial success that now there are very few teams out there that would add to the revenue stream rather than dilute it. The SEC and ACC are locked into t.v. contracts for awhile, so they have the same situation. I could see the SEC being willing to split the pie further if they could land A&M in order to get the Texas foothold they have wanted, but I'm not convinced every other conference would have to react to the SEC (or any other conference) going over 12.

mtmedlin

The Big Ten will not be taking any of the BE football teams. THey will only take teams that are AAU and can add at least the same value as they are currently paying to members. There is no team in the Big East that fits that profile. Now teams like Notre Dame, Texas, Texas A&M, Florida, Georgia Tech or Maryland are possible....even Kansas might. If a theory comes up saying the B10 will take a BE team, then they have no idea what their talking about.

As far as the ACC taking teams...I doubt it. The New Big East contract or network will pay at least what the ACC is making. What is the advantage. Pay a $5 million exit fee to make the same money...dont think so.

IF A&M makes a move to the SEC, then I think the ACC is screwed. They will need to balance out and their choices will be to take Oklahoma and Ok St (since their a package deal) or to just take an ACC team. Florida State is the most valuable team in the ACC....outside of Maryland and the SEC doesnt want Maryland. It would piss of Florida but the amount of revenue it would make, I think the SEC would take them. If not, then its Virginia Tech.

Ok, OK st end up in the Pac 12. SEC doesnt want Ok St. THis leaves K, Kst, Iowa St. Missou, Baylor and T Tech. We all know the BE wants K and Missou. Were willing to take K st in order to get Kansas. I wouldnt doubt that we would take Tech also but think that they may be on the ACCs radar if Fl st or Vtech gets taken. Trust me when I say that no BE team will leave to go to the ACC if its for the same money and all indication are that our contract is gonna be lucrative.

Overall, its a good thing. If Iam the Pac 10 and BE, I would work together to end the B12. If 1 more conference gets destroyed, then each of the AQ conferences gets to send 2 teams each year (as long as a non AQ doesnt qualify) The Pac 10 wants Ok and OK st.... hell they want the top 4 from that conference but Texas isnt going to them. I think if the three conferences work together it could happen.
Think about this, what if the PAC 10 makes their move and offeres Ok and Ok st. Based on those fears, the SEC offers aTm. The BE swoops in and tell K, K st and Missou that their about to be left behind....again... and with our new TV contract we can offer them the same as in the B12. Once it hits the airwaves all 6 teams will hear about it and....heres the important catch... if all six make a move, then nobody has to pay an exit fee of $10 million. The Biggest issue I see with this is Tech. The Texas legislature has tried in the past to protect Tech. Do they make Tech and aTm a package deal? If so, I doubt the SEC takes them, but maybe the Pac12 does? At that point, Baylor is off to CUSA and Iowa St petitions the MAC. Talk about a fall from grace!

mtmedlin

I can't imagine the SEC schools volunteering to cut their fixed TV pie 14 ways. For them to invite more members, there would have to be a clear way to increase conference revenue so that the newbies brought more than they pulled out.

Their TV contract is supposed to be fixed and long term. Maybe aTm can show them a creative way to increase revenue with a larger membership, but fixed TV payments. Creative, those Aggies are.

I do believe that the SEC has a provision in their contract for a renegotiation in the event that more "inventory" is added to the SEC lineup. At any rate, ESPN would be more then happy to pay extra to televise game like Florida VS Oklahoma or aTM vs Arkansas. Those games make money!

WVUFan

The Big Ten will not be taking any of the BE football teams. THey will only take teams that are AAU and can add at least the same value as they are currently paying to members. There is no team in the Big East that fits that profile. Now teams like Notre Dame, Texas, Texas A&M, Florida, Georgia Tech or Maryland are possible....even Kansas might. If a theory comes up saying the B10 will take a BE team, then they have no idea what their talking about.

YES THERE IS lol

RU, Pitt UConn SU are AAU

+ Uconn and SU get most of the $$ from BB and they = 30 mens and womens

RU in NJ so that gives them enough TV's to > 30

asleep003

YES THERE IS lol

RU, Pitt UConn SU are AAU

+ Uconn and SU get most of the $$ from BB and they = 30 mens and womens

RU in NJ so that gives them enough TV's to > 30

Agree 100% on the Rutgers scenario... they seem the most talked about BE Poachee on the BE boards... with Cuse a fairly close 2nd. But if B1O choose to expand(which shouldn't be for several years), it seems Missouri and Rutgers could be a likely pair. Nothing soon hopefully.

Nolaeer

While that article provides no credibility, i do think Texas new TV deal will see the Aggies in the SEC. Texas is a huge market, and the state continues to grow. I think the SEC will expand into Texas. While Texas/OU would be the 1st choices for the SEC, i think(but do not know) adding the Aggies and Virginia Tech would bring value to the SEC worth the extra split.

The SEC would add 2 new markets in Va. and Texas, as well 2 good fan bases.

The BE, in 2 years, should have a TV deal as good as the ACC. But I see the BE taking Mizzou(st louis market, Houston, and UCF(orlando), rather than Kansas and Kstate.

I doubt the Big 10 expands past 12 unless they get Notre Dame. The ACC likely would want to get to 12 if they lose VT. Who they would take and who would leave is speculation at this point. No way the ACC goes beyond 12. But
Syracuse would likely be the ACC's target of choice. Once the BE gets a new TV contract, it should be in a much better position to poach teams from the Big 12, who cant be too secure in a conference with texas as dictator.

CardsDan

I hear that it is more than a rumor that the BE is pitching BC, Miami, and Va Tech. Not that anybody is expecting to get all three, but two of them would make it a 20 team BB league with KU, KSU, and Mizzou if they go ahead and dump DePaul and Seton Hall. Too many political strings were pulled for VPI to leave the ACC and Virginia so forget them. I would have thought the same about Miami and FSU but UM has some serious financial problems. Their football facilities are crap I hear and Al Golden wants to upgrade them badly so he can recruit. Could Miami live it down since they started the whole mess to begin with?Of course they could.

fanatical frog

While that article provides no credibility, i do think Texas new TV deal will see the Aggies in the SEC. Texas is a huge market, and the state continues to grow. I think the SEC will expand into Texas. While Texas/OU would be the 1st choices for the SEC, i think(but do not know) adding the Aggies and Virginia Tech would bring value to the SEC worth the extra split.

The BE, in 2 years, should have a TV deal as good as the ACC. But I see the BE taking Mizzou(st louis market, Houston, and UCF(orlando), rather than Kansas and Kstate.

I doubt the Big 10 expands past 12 unless they get Notre Dame. The ACC likely would want to get to 12 if they lose VT. Who they would take and who would leave is speculation at this point. No way the ACC goes beyond 12. But
Syracuse would likely be the ACC's target of choice. Once the BE gets a new TV contract, it should be in a much better position to poach teams from the Big 12, who cant be too secure in a conference with texas as dictator.

Hope you're right about Mizzou and the Kansas schools. Hope you're wrong about Houston.

mtmedlin

Your mistake is that you are looking at market size and not number of viewers and support. UCF has a 2.1 million market with very little penetration. Kansas has a much smaller DMA but also dominates it along with the surrounding 3 DMAs which combined is larger then UCF. When negotiating TV contrats, the size of the market doesnt matter as much as the amount of penetration. Who gives a crap if you live in the largest market in the world as long as nobody is watching you. Kansas is the 3rd highest revenue school in the B12. Their people support and watch them and that makes them worth adding. UCF cant even sell out their own stadium during the CUSA championship game. Doesnt that tell you something?

Plain and simple, I know the B10 and my source is a ND Alumni and donor. The B10 doenst want a BE school. They want ND or a team like them. THey just spent a half million dollars trying to identify teams to add that would be valuable. They took Nebraska and stopped. The other teams looked at were obviously not a match. If the wanted Rutgers or Cuse, then they would be in the B10. Kansas, Maryland, Texas A&M and Missou all bring in more value then Cuse or Rutgers to the B10 contract and NONE were selected....even though they easily could have been taken. The b10 isnt going to expand anytime soon. It took them forever to add a 12th team and somehow people think they are just going to jump to 14 or 16 within a year...Nope, not happening.