• The KillerFrogs

BE Expansion Talk During BE GOTW

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Thanks for the link. I did learn one thing. To date, the focus on travel cost has been to look at it from TCU's perspective for all sports. That's not a problem for TCU as they are used to traveling long distances. The travel cost problem is the Big Least's schools problem. Despite getting huge dollars from being in an AQ conference, their other programs don't have the money to travel to Fort Worth. That's why they may only invite TCU as a football only member.

If TCU gets invited as a "football only" member, it won't happen. Good luck getting any credibility in football by adding Villanova, UCF or ECU.

Dogfrog

I always feel great about being considered for Big East membership until I see the list of other candidates. Then I just feel like another Houston and UCF.

At this rate, it might be the Big 12 changing their mind and calling CDC. Which would you take if the choice is tomorrow? MWC, Big 12 or Big East?

All good points from the video. UCF is a great fit however I think undeserving of being AQ as well as Nova.

TCU has a long history in Div. 1A football and that should be taken into account when earning way to AQ, too bad NCAA has no say in who qualifies and should be approved to become AQ. South Florida was one team I thought did not deserve AQ status...its football team just began playing in 1997, holding its first team meeting under a shade tree as the school had no proper football facilities on campus.

South Florida having no history, had not earned AQ, had not ever been to a bowl game and wham! it was AQ when the Big East was recovering from being raided. South Florida should of not been approved to be AQ.
But it did and has built itself up nicely with the help of the Tampa Bay Bucs stadium and BCS $$$.

TCU should be the one with AQ status over UCF and Nova.

I know there is some scoffing at the offer and such on the end of the TCU fanbase...but I think this could work out for everyone involved. Just ignoring the teams themselves, that Dallas-Ft Worth market would be huge for the BE. When it comes time to create a network...that market would be a huge moneymaker when they get it on the basic cable package in the area.

It's going to be great for TCU, too. The Eastern media exposure...no more non-AQ conference crap...and I think the quality of basketball is over looked sometimes from y'alls end. The Big East has a propensity towards building good basketball programs based on its name. Get a coach with NE recruiting ties and TCU's basketball program will take off. Just look at what Bob Huggins did to Kansas St in two years of recruiting. Then he came home to WV and in 3 years at WVU and he got them to the Final Four. And he did it with East Coast talent. That talent will follow a coach. And a gig in he BE conference is like a SEC coaching job in football. A destination job.

I'm tellin' ya...some day in the future, some of you will be sitting in Madison Square Garden witnessing the best event in all of college sports (in my exceedingly biased opinion)...the Big East Men's Basketball Tournament. 5 straight days of amazing. You'll wonder to yourself why you even had doubts about the BE. Honestly, I look at WVU winning that as being more prestigious than the two BCS bowls WVU has won. Again, just my opinion...I know basketball isn't as big in Texas and all...

Cougar/Frog

USF may have benefited from AQ status, but the Bulls has still never finished in the final AP or Coaches top 25, in spite of high rankings early in the season several times. UConn is no much different. Both did not "earn" anything and help dispute that AQ argument....

Genbukan

Still a football only invite. Not going to happen sports fans.

It's not a football only invite because there is NO official invite to date.

It may or may not happen but the talking is still going on. This could be the wedge that drives the football schools to split from the catholic school mafia. They'd (obviously) take the AQ bid with them and it would still be an incredible basketball conference.

The football schools are the ones that are more agressive and that would increase the chances that something really bold - like going after KU, K-State, Mizzou for example could be in the future. And that's my opinion only based upon my readings of Big east fan boards.

Lots of intrigue and strategic thinking going on - we are in a pretty good spot to improve our lot no matter which way this goes.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Source?

You know something we don't? TCU Pres. and CDC and you best friends?

Please share.

Never say never but I think that Feisty is right. Look at it through another prism for a moment. What if we join the BE and next summer the B10 decides to invite Syracuse and/or Pitt. It could happen and if it did, what then? We have just given up a good conference for a piece of junk. We would have to get some financial guarantees from the BE because we could be worse off than where we are at the moment.

The BE shares football revenue with all of the schools, which means the basketball only schools get a nice check for doing nothing. The basketball only schools like the revenue split they currently receive and do not what to share ( who could blame them ) and there is constant infighting among the member schools, just like the old CUSA.

It would be nice to finally get into an AQ conference but in this case, I think we are better off waiting for the right opportunity. Who knows what will happen next summer?

Never say never but I think that Feisty is right. Look at it through another prism for a moment. What if we join the BE and next summer the B10 decides to invite Syracuse and/or Pitt. It could happen and if it did, what then? We have just given up a good conference for a piece of junk. We would have to get some financial guarantees from the BE because we could be worse off than where we are at the moment.

The BE shares football revenue with all of the schools, which means the basketball only schools get a nice check for doing nothing. The basketball only schools like the revenue split they currently receive and do not what to share ( who could blame them ) and there is constant infighting among the member schools, just like the old CUSA.

It would be nice to finally get into an AQ conference but in this case, I think we are better off waiting for the right opportunity. Who knows what will happen next summer?

We are a very small private school, we may not get another chance...or we might...what risk do you want to take? The risk to go to the Big East which may or may not be raided, or the risk of waiting for something better that may never come, or the risk of missing out on something better than the Big East, or ?

50FT FROG

We are a very small private school, we may not get another chance...or we might...what risk do you want to take? The risk to go to the Big East which may or may not be raided, or the risk of waiting for something better that may never come, or the risk of missing out on something better than the Big East, or ?
i tend to agree, bird in the hand .........

Deep Purple

I agree with Wes. Feisty is right. The Big East is talking a football-only invite and TCU is not prepared to accept that. It's all-sports or we stay where we are. There are two reasons for this: 1) The logistical nightmare of sending our football team east to play while sending our other 19 teams west (the WAC maybe?) or elsewhere to play. 2) Inviting TCU for all-sports would signal that the Big East is at last prepared to stand up to its basketball-only schools and declare the primacy of football in conference decisions. TCU is primarily football-oriented and isn't interested in joining a conference ruled by basketball.

BABYFACE

Source?

You know something we don't? TCU Pres. and CDC and you best friends?

Please share.

Feisty is correct and the other 99 percent of us feel this way. I think you are mistaken if you think TCU will kick it's other sports to the curb to the Missouri Valley or the Southland conference for a Big East FB only invite.

halfwaytoheaven

The BE shares football revenue with all of the schools, which means the basketball only schools get a nice check for doing nothing.

Wait, what? Are you sure about that? I thought they had separate TV contracts for football and non-football sports. Are you saying Georgetown & co. get a piece of the BCS bowl revenue? That doesn't sound right.