• The KillerFrogs

BCS Rankings

I'd be mad, which is why I want a TCU vs. Boise State national championship game.At the same time, you have to remember that last year does not equal this year. In fact I would say our defense is playing much better this year and our offense has a years more experience.

A year's more experience but playing like it!

sous vide

I'd be mad, which is why I want a TCU vs. Boise State national championship game.At the same time, you have to remember that last year does not equal this year. In fact I would say our defense is playing much better this year and our offense has a years more experience.

It would make me angry and frustrated, probably, but when you come right down to it, but previous years are just that. They don't count except for initial placement and BSU received a high placement "reward" in full measure (as did we in a slightly lesser way). That's enough of a reward for good previous years if we're going to have such a silly system.

Ravenous Ute

We will need some help this week if we want to ensure that we will pass Boise:

1. Michigan State needs to lose @ Iowa
2. Mizzou needs to lose @ Nebraska

If MSU and Mizzou both win next week they will jump us in the polls (but won't jump Boise) which will create a buffer in the polls that may be too large for us to overcome. MSU doesn't play a ranked team the rest of the season after Iowa and Mizzou would only have the Big 12 South champion so it's unlikely either will lose if they win this week.

Utah finally got some love from their trouncing of Iowa State after Iowa State beat Texas last weekend. Seeing how SDSU almost beat Missouri, Iowa State could beat them at home as well. I know transitive football doesn't work but there is a slim chance Iowa State could ride this high and win out with home games vs Kansas, Nebraska (who lost to Texas @home) & Missouri and a road game vs Colorado. If they do then they win the Big XII North and will be in the CCG. Win or lose that garnishes more respect for Utah and a higher SOS for TCU. So root for Iowa State the rest of the way. Also pulling for SMU, Baylor, Pittsburgh and ND except their game vs Utah. Oregon State is a toss up as they help Boise and definitely rooting against Virginia Tech.

Pulling for LSU to beat 'Bama and 'Bama to win the Iron Bowl vs Auburn. Though a one loss Auburn might still make the BCS NCG, I see that as more likely than Oregon losing @USC.

HoustonHornedFrog

If we go 12-0 no doubt we will pass Boise State in the BCS rankings. It won't happen next week because UNLV is going to hurt our computer profile but a Utah win will cancel that out.

BSU plays LaTech this week on tuesday so it won't help them much. Hopefully the tuesday game hurts them with the human polls because they have forgotten that by next Sunday.

Setting aside our TCU loyalties, how pissed would you be as a Boise fan to finish this year behind Oregon and TCU if you beat Oregon two years in a row and beat TCU last year?

Extremely frustrated. But frankly I don't care about BSU, I care about TCU.

Of course BSU would say their D is much better this year and their offense has more experience and since they are currently ranked no. 1 in total D, their improvement on D is easier to quantify then ours.

I will worry about all of this after the Utah game.

Agreed 100%. Our only worry right now is, and should be, to keep winning. Utah is a real threat especially in SLC.

Footsteps, Boise. Can you hear 'em?

Anyway, I don't think we should pull against Auburn. I know it sounds odd, but here's my take: if TCU and Boise match up in the BCS title game, the winner of that game will STILL get crap from the media about how they haven't played anyone. There might even be a split national title. But if TCU beats an undefeated SEC champ for the title, there's no doubt. You can't get any more legit than that. And Auburn can't say that they weren't up for the game.

But passing Boise makes everything easier. SDSU might even be ranked by the time we play them, which would be another boost. They're already getting votes, and if they can beat Wyoming and CSU by comfortable margins, they could find themselves in the Top 25 by Nov. 13.

Utah finally got some love from their trouncing of Iowa State after Iowa State beat Texas last weekend. Seeing how SDSU almost beat Missouri, Iowa State could beat them at home as well. I know transitive football doesn't work but there is a slim chance Iowa State could ride this high and win out with home games vs Kansas, Nebraska (who lost to Texas @home) & Missouri and a road game vs Colorado. If they do then they win the Big XII North and will be in the CCG. Win or lose that garnishes more respect for Utah and a higher SOS for TCU. So root for Iowa State the rest of the way. Also pulling for SMU, Baylor, Pittsburgh and ND except their game vs Utah. Oregon State is a toss up as they help Boise and definitely rooting against Virginia Tech.

Pulling for LSU to beat 'Bama and 'Bama to win the Iron Bowl vs Auburn. Though a one loss Auburn might still make the BCS NCG, I see that as more likely than Oregon losing @USC.

We also would like the SEC East to continue to get beat up. It is very possible that the SEC East Champion will be a 3 or 4 loss team. That could mean that a one loss SEC West champion doesn't get the same kind of boost from the SEC championship game that they have in the last couple of years.

dweller

There is no doubt that we pass Boise in my mind. I think Va Tech will lose one more game, but even if they don't our win over Utah would be better. Also, I think SDSU would be a decent win as well.
Any one else catch the "this isn't the same VT team that Boise Beat!". :blink:

FrogFrog

Any one else catch the "this isn't the same VT team that Boise Beat!". :blink:

It must be listed on the BCS Media card.

Has non-BCS team played anyone good? If no, say, "I can't put them high because they don't play anyone."
If yes --> Was anyone injured on the BCS team? If yes, say, "If star player X was available, this game wouldn't have been close."
If no, say, "The BCS team has gotten a lot better. This is not the same team that was beat previously."

It reminds me of Craig James saying about Boise/Oregon last year, "9 times out of 10, Oregon would beat Boise."

The college football season is 12 games long and they're now resorting to saying Boise and Utah didn't play the BCS teams at the right time of the year. Unbelievable.

JogginFrog

They say that about VaTech because of the loss to James Madison. You could spin it as "Virginia Tech wasn't playing well to start the year, but they've really improved"...or you could say, "Virginia Tech really let Boise beat them twice -- after leaving it all on the field in Week 1, they had nothing left in the tank for the next week's game."

An easy choice for the AQ-at-all-costs group.

Newbronk

As a die-hard Bronco fan, I certainly hope TCU doesn't pass my Broncos. I think it will be a close finish....so many things need to play out to see. However, I certainly understand your frustration. Both fan bases are going through the same emotional roller-coaster. Like last year, Boise and TCU may be the two best teams in College Football. It will be a shame for one of us to be left out of the BCS National Championship game, but in turn, if both of us get in, will the winner really get its rightfull due?

As long as TCU stays put in the Mountain West, this will be the last time either one of us will be screwed out of the top "Non-BCS" spot. We will, from here on out, settle it on the feld of play. And, I might add, by virtue of us being in the same conference, our conference essentailly becomes an AQ every year whether the BCS likes it or not. If TCU goes to the Big East, the competition will be crud (the Mountain West is ranked two steps UP from the Big East now) and thus even an undefeated season again will be degraded with "who did they play...the Big East is weak" argument.

Keep winning and let the chips fall where they may. If TCU passes my Broncos and you get into the MNC game, beat their BCS butts. I hope if we get the chance, all of the TCU nation will get behind us to do the same. If we BOTh get in......may the best team win!

See you next year!

GO BRONCOS!

stevenewilson

Unfortunately, it is still the same story, we need to win out and we need some help.
Michigan State has to lose to Iowa
Oregon has to lose to USC
Auburn has to lose to Alabama
Missouri will lose to somebody - thye just aren't that good.
I think our resume will be better than Boise and we will pass them.
2nd is the goal here- not #1

Auburn will lose to Alabama. They can not play defense.

TCU will jump Boise with a win over Utah.

TCU and Oregon in the NCG!

BigEasyFrog

Loving seeing Herbstreet stick up for us finally.
Not sure if this was the reference you were talking about, but I watched briefly immediately after the Missouri-OU game (I believe it was when they were interviewing the Missouri QB, he was still in pads), and while I don't pay too much attention or get overly worked up on what analysts say, I think it was Kirk that said that for teams like us and Boise State and Utah at present, you got to ditch the AQ vs. non-AQ stuff. These teams can compete with anybody and beat them more often than not he said more/less, regardless of "schedule strength". I wanted to jump through my TV and give him a big hug and high-five. It was beautiful what we said.

screetch

We will need some help this week if we want to ensure that we will pass Boise:

1. Michigan State needs to lose @ Iowa
2. Mizzou needs to lose @ Nebraska

If MSU and Mizzou both win next week they will jump us in the polls (but won't jump Boise) which will create a buffer in the polls that may be too large for us to overcome. MSU doesn't play a ranked team the rest of the season after Iowa and Mizzou would only have the Big 12 South champion so it's unlikely either will lose if they win this week.

This makes no sense to me. Auburn jumped us but we still picked up votes on Boise. I don't understand what difference it makes (relative to our deficit to Boise in the BCS formula) if a team jumps us in the human polls?

screetch

And, I might add, by virtue of us being in the same conference, our conference essentailly becomes an AQ every year whether the BCS likes it or not. If TCU goes to the Big East, the competition will be crud (the Mountain West is ranked two steps UP from the Big East now) and thus even an undefeated season again will be degraded with "who did they play...the Big East is weak" argument.

Unfortunately, it doesn't become a de facto AQ. We get less $$$. The competition will be crud as you say, but we would hear the same argument in the MWC. So we might as well take the cash.

Newbronk

Unfortunately, it doesn't become a de facto AQ. We get less $$$. The competition will be crud as you say, but we would hear the same argument in the MWC. So we might as well take the cash.

BYU made their decision to go independent based on money too. I can tell you from experience....playing in a "crap" conference stinks. No amount of money is worth it. It's hard to get excited week in and week out when you play teams you beat by 40-plus and then listen to all the "experts" run your team down because they don't play anyone.

If the MWC can somehow stay together and have patience, I believe it will get AQ even without Utah and BYU. If TCU leaves, it's over.

GO BRONCOS

screetch

BYU made their decision to go independent based on money too. I can tell you from experience....playing in a "crap" conference stinks. No amount of money is worth it. It's hard to get excited week in and week out when you play teams you beat by 40-plus and then listen to all the "experts" run your team down because they don't play anyone.

If the MWC can somehow stay together and have patience, I believe it will get AQ even without Utah and BYU. If TCU leaves, it's over.

GO BRONCOS

BYU made their decision based on the hope of more money. The Big East would be guaranteed, and the perception is that its a better conference. I don't hear the pundits running down WVU, Pitt and Cincy like they do TCU and BSU. I hate to break it to you, but it was over when Utah left.

Newbronk

BYU made their decision based on the hope of more money. The Big East would be guaranteed, and the perception is that its a better conference. I don't hear the pundits running down WVU, Pitt and Cincy like they do TCU and BSU. I hate to break it to you, but it was over when Utah left.

As far as pundits running down the Big East...remember last year when Cincy was unbeaten...so were you (a non-AQ team)...if Texas misses the field goal, YOU would have gone to the MNC BEFORE an undefeated AQ team. The reason no one talks the big East down is there isn't anyone ranked in the entire conference to talk about.

I understand the frustration and you may be right about it being over when Utah left, but I still hope TCU stays the course.

GO BRONCOS!

Boomhauer

This makes no sense to me. Auburn jumped us but we still picked up votes on Boise. I don't understand what difference it makes (relative to our deficit to Boise in the BCS formula) if a team jumps us in the human polls?

If a team jumps you in the polls it likely means you are losing votes (although you can gain points on Boise but drop in the rankings). If we are losing votes then we won't gain any ground on Boise unless they lose votes as well. So unless MSU and Mizzou jump Boise as well, we would likely lose ground.

Broncotommy

Boise State's Conference affiliation really works against them sometimes. But, if we get jumped by the Frogs, it couldn't come from a better bunch of people. Good luck !