• The KillerFrogs

#BAYLORTEARS

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
uVFgHtQ.jpg
What a [ the old ricardo ]

FrogAbroad

My basketball knowledge is nothing to brag about, but...it appears HCJD's coaching has moved upwards a notch or two since the beginning of the 21-22 season. I'm sure having a more experienced team helps, but still it looks like overall coaching quality is simply better. Am I seeing something that's not really there?

FrogBall09

My basketball knowledge is nothing to brag about, but...it appears HCJD's coaching has moved upwards a notch or two since the beginning of the 21-22 season. I'm sure having a more experienced team helps, but still it looks like overall coaching quality is simply better. Am I seeing something that's not really there?
It’s called the Mike Miles strategy….

JogginFrog

Talent cures a lot of ills…
It’s called the Mike Miles strategy….
I agree that talent (a) makes coaches look better generally and (b) opens up the playbook to give coaches more options specifically. I credit TCU's improvement in half-court offense mostly to talent upgrade.

But I think HCJD has also grown as a coach. (For one thing, the Frogs have workable inbound plays now--that's more scheme than talent.) Jamie has come a long way from the grind-it-out style he had at Pitt, whose fans repeatedly told us it was no longer possible to recruit talent to win that way, because the best talent wants to run and score--including the bigs.

He's managed a makeover in coaching style that still acknowledges efficiency-per-possession as the key to winning, whether scores are in the 40s or 80s. But he's figured out how to use good defense--especially on the perimeter--to cue efficient transition offense. You can't do that without talent, but the talent is also being used well now, which wasn't always true of Dixon's early TCU teams.

Why can I not find a youtube video of the 1999 game at Floyd Casey where Baylor, up 3 with the ball on the UNLV goal line with time for one last play, tries to show "attitude" by scoring again, and instead fumbles and watches as UNLV races 99 yards the other way for the winning touchdown as time expires? The absolute epitome of #BAYLORTEARS.