• The KillerFrogs

Baseball: 1 small complaint

Houston Frog

"Deep in the heart of Texas"

gross. The Rangers already play that song, lets not follow suit.

Why do we have to play country? I dont own a cowboy hat or ride a horse. Lets mix it up!
rolleyes.gif

We don't have to play country, but we are located in Texas, in a city nicknamed "Cowtown", and Fort Worth is "Where the West Begins".... if there is a genre of music that is the obvious choice for us to embrace, it is country

ricksterh

John Denver is not from Fort Worth. His father was in the Air Force and he was stationed at Carswell for a time when JD was a kid. He quit high school and left his family to play music I think out in L A.

I like some of the JD music and think playing it is fine but nothing should replace take me out to the ball game in the 7th inning. That's almost like not playing the national anthem before the game. :blink: :mellow: :eek:hmy:

AEAfrog

2.) I love "Sweet Caroline", it's a great feel-good song, it's great to sing in a crowd setting like a baseball game. It would be great to play if it wasn't already famously sung (sang?) at Fenway in the exact same manner. It's a total rip-off, and we shouldn't do it. There are other songs we could use, let's pick one of them and start our own tradition.

Sweet Caroline is a favorite of the students. There would be a mutiny if that wasn't played.

Spike

They played it today, much better. Sweet Caroline has grown on me. If I hear it somewhere else I think of Frog baseball.

Sangria Wine

My son Cole got a kick out of reading you guys discuss his singing and dancing. Funny how many people we meet around Fort Worth who recognize him from singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame for those years he did it at the games.

Pharm Frog

My son Cole got a kick out of reading you guys discuss his singing and dancing. Funny how many people we meet around Fort Worth who recognize him from singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame for those years he did it at the games.

Your kid's too young to retire.... If they asked my opinion (and they don't), I'd say let the kid sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame and then let him dance some Texas Swing on the roof of the dugout with a Showgirl in her custom-made TCU boots. Now that would be a story he'd be proud to tell his kids someday.....

Young and Horned

Yeah, when he attends TCU as a student, will be fun for them to play the videos on the board with him in the crowd.

I had the pleasure of working the games for two years and took care of microphone duties, so got to see the talent up close. Was a lot of fun.

Sangria Wine

He's got his mind made up he is going to play for Coach Schloss someday. If it works out there will definitely be some classic stories and videos to show! He turns 9 tomorrow and the first time he ever sang it at the ballpark was when he was still 3 years old...it was about a week or so before his 4th birthday since back then the season started earlier in the year. Time flies!

2314@work

Contributor
John Denver is not from Fort Worth. His father was in the Air Force and he was stationed at Carswell for a time when JD was a kid. He quit high school and left his family to play music I think out in L A.

I like some of the JD music and think playing it is fine but nothing should replace take me out to the ball game in the 7th inning. That's almost like not playing the national anthem before the game. :blink: :mellow: :eek:hmy:

I guess that was when John Denver briefly attended Heights. In the book by Fort Worth's Tommy Thompson, Blood Will Tell, Thompson points out that a classmate of Cullen Davis was John Denver. I guess I just assumed he was born here. Thanks for clearing that up, Rick. BTW, missed you this weekend at Lupton.

BTW, highly recommend reading this book.

Deep Purple

Close. He ran away from home during his third year of high school and went to LA to begin a musical career. His father followed him and brought him home. He graduated from Arlington Heights in 1961, but was always miserable there. He briefly attended Texas Tech to study architecture but dropped out in 1963 to move back to LA and pursue his music.

HoustonHornedFrog

His name was Henry John Deutschendorf in High School but he did go by John. He ran off to California for a while his Junior year at Arlington Heights High School in Fort Worth, but his father brought him back and he graduted from Heights, can't recall the year but two of my aunts went to High School with him and one of them still has the year book when he was a senior.

Dang Deep, you beat me to it.

FrogJAM

What is up with not singing take me out to the ball game? That is about the most unamerican thing I can think of. And to replace it with John Denver, that is just plain ghey!

Who can I email about this? I will clean it up before I send it.

GO FROGS!!!!!

Is there a sentence in the current American vernacular that is more of a beating than "who can I e-mail?"

ugh.