• The KillerFrogs

Baseball: 1 small complaint

Spike

What is up with not singing take me out to the ball game? That is about the most unamerican thing I can think of. And to replace it with John Denver, that is just plain ghey!

Who can I email about this? I will clean it up before I send it.

GO FROGS!!!!!

AEAfrog

When do they play Sweet Caroline? And yes, the 7th inning should be reserved for Take Me Out to the Ballgame and Deep in the Heart of Texas.

Pharm Frog

What is up with not singing take me out to the ball game? That is about the most unamerican thing I can think of. And to replace it with John Denver, that is just plain ghey!

GO FROGS!!!!!

Wasn't there....what did they play? Rocky Mountain High? Leaving on a Jet Plane? Take Me Home, Country Roads? Sunshine On My Shoulders? Have they lost that singin' and dancin' kid? While the 7th inning stretch may not have been up to par, if you were watching the streaming version, the Showgirls dancing on the dugout roof early in teh game was outstanding....and about as Americana as you can get.

Punter1

Dont think John Denver is ghey, hes from FTW for cryin out loud, but he belongs un another inning.

And by the way...that John Denver is still full of [Craig James].

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA

GO FROGS!!!!!
I too missed the singing kid, with TMOTTBG. Unless the kid moved out of town or something, really don't see why you wouldn't bring him back.

Spike

Dont think John Denver is ghey, hes from FTW for cryin out loud, but he belongs un another inning.

And by the way...that John Denver is still full of [Craig James].

John Denver is worse than gay. I should apologize to all gay people.

The song was "Thank God I'm a country boy."

Oh, the Showgirls were nice.

Icefrog

I was told that the team and marketing want to try to have "Texas" Friday nights to salute the state and the music of Texas so something with Texas in the song is played
during the 7th inning stretch.
Do you recall the last song you ever heard someone sing about loving Missouri or New York ?
I would assume that Tuesday and Saturday games would be a little more traditional if that is the right term.
Sundays are throw back days with the old style uniform so it will be interesting to see what they play.

Icefrog

ok, forget NY, maybe Nebraska, New Jersey, South Carolina.
I think we are so lucky to get to live in Fort Worth and the great state of Texas.

LVfrog

John Denver is ok but I would rather hear Stevie Ray or old school ZZ Topp. But no complaints from me on the music, it was a wonderful night.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
John Denver's early stuff, like "Take Me Home, Country Roads" and "Rocky Mountain High" was inspired, IMHO, but then he went cheesy faux-country commercial. "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" is one of the most insipid songs ever.

"Take Me Out to the Ball Game," please!

Frogenstein

They play 'Thank God I'm a Country Boy' at Baltimore Orioles games as well and everyone sings along with it. I have no idea why they do it but it is a tradition.

Houston Frog

A couple things:

1.) No matter what they decide to do for any sort of theme night, "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" should be part of the 7th inning stretch. Anything that doesn't involve that song during the 7th inning stretch is a total fail by the baseball event committee (or whatever they call themselves).. If you want to sing 'Thank God I'm a Country Boy" during the 7th inning stretch, that's fine, just do it after take me out to the ballgame. The Astros sing 2 songs during every 7th inning stretch, and it works just swimmingly.

2.) I love "Sweet Caroline", it's a great feel-good song, it's great to sing in a crowd setting like a baseball game. It would be great to play if it wasn't already famously sung (sang?) at Fenway in the exact same manner. It's a total rip-off, and we shouldn't do it. There are other songs we could use, let's pick one of them and start our own tradition.

Pharm Frog

They play 'Thank God I'm a Country Boy' at Baltimore Orioles games as well and everyone sings along with it. I have no idea why they do it but it is a tradition.

Here's the answer as to why the Orioles play the song but they also play Take Me Out to the Ballgame.... I don't see why we'd want to share a tradition with the Orioles unless we're saying that Purke, Winkler, Maxwell are the collegiate equivalent of Palmer, Cuellar, Dobson, and McNally. If we were gonna mix something with Take Me Out to the Ballgame, I'd prefer going with something like Big Ball's In Cowtown. Enough groups have recorded that classic to have a new version every series and it includes most of what you want in a stretch song: dance, fiddle, girl's being happy, and a double entendre to boot. That being said, I no longer live close enough to get the ballpark with any regularity. Just win.....

http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=2189

ShivasFrog

A couple things:

1.) No matter what they decide to do for any sort of theme night, "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" should be part of the 7th inning stretch. Anything that doesn't involve that song during the 7th inning stretch is a total fail by the baseball event committee (or whatever they call themselves).. If you want to sing 'Thank God I'm a Country Boy" during the 7th inning stretch, that's fine, just do it after take me out to the ballgame. The Astros sing 2 songs during every 7th inning stretch, and it works just swimmingly.

2.) I love "Sweet Caroline", it's a great feel-good song, it's great to sing in a crowd setting like a baseball game. It would be great to play if it wasn't already famously sung (sang?) at Fenway in the exact same manner. It's a total rip-off, and we shouldn't do it. There are other songs we could use, let's pick one of them and start our own tradition.

Good points, both.

How about ripping off the football program and going with "Won't Back Down" after TMOTTBG in the seventh? Too confrontational for baseball? I think the crowd could get in to it with the words running on the scoreboard.

geefrogs

"Deep in the heart of Texas"

gross. The Rangers already play that song, lets not follow suit.

Why do we have to play country? I dont own a cowboy hat or ride a horse. Lets mix it up!
rolleyes.gif