• The KillerFrogs

Bad Idea Noi, Bad Idea!!!!

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
We saw how Kenrich Williams and Vladimir Brodziansky progressed their last two years at TCU under Jaime Dixon in preparing themselves for professional basketball, not to mention getting degrees. Two guys who could hang in the paint, rebound and handle and pass the ball as well as shoot and slam-dunk.

Kouat Noi is just being short sighted and lazy. He never matched up with the best players in the Big 12 much less nationally, or never became a good floor leader in college basketball. Much of the time he was being out rebounded by our point guards.

It seemed like there were undersized American white dudes all over the Big 12 who were knocking down threes and running the floor just as good as he was, who were dribbling, handling and passing the ball and getting back and playing defense a whole lot better and in the process beating the hell out of us.

I'm not buying into the idea that he is doing this for his family either. Nobody is starving in Australia. What family in Australia or Africa would want a young man who is on a full ride scholarship to drop out of one of the Top 100 universities in America?

He's a drop out, plain and simple.

It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and say whatever the scheiss you want about a college student. One whose family fled their homeland in Sudan during a time of civil war where 2 million died and 4 million were displaced. That's your perogative.

However focusing on the faults of others instead of your own is a terrible way to go about life, and reveals a lot about a person.

Also,

1B2D4CA9-9339-49BC-B044-6CAA4DFB9BA1.gif

flyfishingfrog

Traveling the world and making connctions in a sport/industry/foreign country(ies) can be beneficial as well, even if you're not padding the savings account. Plus - and I'm not saying these two fall in this category - but for some that's the ideal after college life. Many 21-22 yos would love to scrape by while racking up incredible experiences that 99% of your peers will not. Hell, many 21-22 yos end up scraping by while racking up experience as a bartender at a chain restaurant. I can make that joke because I was that guy. And if I could have traded for the exact same financial situation while traveling in Spain or Italy or Turkey or China, you better damn well believe I would have.

Money isn't the sum total of a venture, and certainly not of an adventure.
Until you are 31 without a job and without a degree...

flyfishingfrog

I think you just described the background of like 15 to 20% of successful people. A person is not a failure just because they don't do the traditional timetable. Life experience is worth something.
Oh geez - did I hit a nerve?

You can experience life and pursue your dreams without throwing away your best options for plan B at the same time - a lot of people manage it

I have had both a son and a grandson pursue professional sports for a career - I know exactly what life is like for a guy trying to play a sport at a less than top tier level and go wherever it takes to make it

And I also know what the lives of the guys who didn’t make it a career looked like afterwards both with a degree and without it - and for the most part there is a big difference for my sons group of about 100 former teammates that are now in the their late 40’s

My grandson is playing AA and It has been a wake up call for a lot of those kids in the off season when the $1500/month stops and host family goes away - hard to live in $7500/year before taxes even with a signing bonus - and not everyone gets a job in the industry afterwards and a lot of those jobs require degrees from my understanding

Hell Sent Frog

Kouat Noi is not leaving TCU behind early.
He's being left behind.

Who's to say these second tier professional leagues in Europe or wherever don't have better players to choose from?
There are a hundred or more players every year from the USA who had more stellar college careers than Noi for the international professional "meat grinder" leagues to draw on.
And these leagues get players from all over the world.

We've seen a bunch of scrappy over-achieving white student-athletes from through out the Big 12 beat his butt almost two times a week this year. Whose to say these same type of players won't follow Noi to his so called promise land and whip his rear end some more.

He has been taking Coach Dixon and a $70,000/yr free ride scholarship at TCU for granted, that's all.
He thinks he should just be handed a diploma.

Noi will never have such a great head coach again, much less one that will even bother to look out for him.
A big time head coach like Jaime Dixon would never trade his job with TCU to head coach in professional "minor league" basketball in Europe, Australia or the USA.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with being a second tier professional basketball player when your college eligibility is over or you have your degree.

Last edited:
Kouat Noi is not leaving TCU behind. He's being left behind.

He has been taking Coach Dixon and a $70,000/yr free ride scholarship at TCU for granted, that's all.
He thinks he should just be handed a diploma.

Nothing "free" about working very hard to play sport in college. If he quits team no more scholarship. The athletes work hard for tuition to be paid on their behalf.

I was more fortunate, my family not from Sudan but another foreign country and I come from great wealth. I have classmate who played college sports at another university, he has many stories about how hard he worked and how much time it took. One day he tell me, "I would rather have debt right now than have gone through what I did". Says parents pushed him to play.

flyfishingfrog

Nothing "free" about working very hard to play sport in college. If he quits team no more scholarship. The athletes work hard for tuition to be paid on their behalf.

I was more fortunate, my family not from Sudan but another foreign country and I come from great wealth. I have classmate who played college sports at another university, he has many stories about how hard he worked and how much time it took. One day he tell me, "I would rather have debt right now than have gone through what I did". Says parents pushed him to play.
I hope this is a bit - because a scholarship athlete that thinks he would rather incur $200k in debt than have the opportunity to be part of a team and be a better person from the experience plus get a “free” education not only doesn’t deserve the scholarship but is also an idiot for failing to appreciate the value of playing a sport in college

There is a reason why a significant portion of successful people in this world played college level athletics - and it’s not due to the connections that made at school

cheese83

The $100k/yr overseas salary thing is BS. Knew some guys that played and it’s a tough career that typically doesn’t last long. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to make $50k but it’s still hard. One thing going for him is with his international background he may be able to adapt better than your typical D1 American player who is used to the comforts of home or their former program.

I wish him the best but another year developing at TCU and getting a degree would probably be the best from a long term standpoint.

I hope this is a bit - because a scholarship athlete that thinks he would rather incur $200k in debt than have the opportunity to be part of a team and be a better person from the experience plus get a “free” education not only doesn’t deserve the scholarship but is also an idiot for failing to appreciate the value of playing a sport in college

There is a reason why a significant portion of successful people in this world played college level athletics - and it’s not due to the connections that made at school
You make big assumption which is not very smart yourself. He attend much less expensive state school. Could have worked on the side at family business to earn decent money. Father was [ Arschloch] and wanted him to keep playing.

flyfishingfrog

Flyfishingfrog should call Noi's granddad in Sudan as a courtesy. Those two have so much in common, I'm sure he'll text Kouat immediately and talk sense into him.
So you think an extra year of Noi playing in the Silver league in Spain is going to change his family so much vs waiting another year to do the same thing but with a degree?

I am a grandfather and I can tell you no grandfather would choose to have their grandson forgo a chance at a better life for themselves - but I do imagine he will support him 100% no matter what decision he makes

So you think an extra year of Noi playing in the Silver league in Spain is going to change his family so much vs waiting another year to do the same thing but with a degree?

I am a grandfather and I can tell you no grandfather would choose to have their grandson forgo a chance at a better life for themselves - but I do imagine he will support him 100% no matter what decision he makes
As grandfather clearly you are in a position to know exactly what constitute "better life" for others, regardless of background or what they want.

flyfishingfrog

As grandfather clearly you are in a position to know exactly what constitute "better life" for others, regardless of background or what they want.
Smart enough to know that anyone stands a better chance with a college degree than without

And if his family doesn’t believe that - then why did he AND two of his cousins show up to play college basketball instead of just straight to Europe?

flyfishingfrog

You make big assumption which is not very smart yourself. He attend much less expensive state school. Could have worked on the side at family business to earn decent money. Father was [ Arschloch] and wanted him to keep playing.
and you missed the entire point if you think it had anything to do with the cost of tuition

My son has a class with him... he doesn’t go. He basically checked out at the beginning of the semester. It’s one of those classes with a lot of athletes. All you have to do is show up and you get at least a B... it also has a rule after 3 unexcused absences you start loosing a letter grade for each skip..