• The KillerFrogs

B1G deal: Big Ten lands $7 billion, NFL-style TV contracts

Palliative Care

ESPN kind of has to be speaking better of the B12 now that they lost BIG. They also do not have big enough money now to practically own college football any more. Prices are climbing and who knows how much money will be involved at the end of the present contracts. It is up to the B12 people to take advantage of this situation and get what they can out of them.

I listened to podcast with the 2nd in command at ESPN and he basically said they pulled out of the bidding for the B1G because the price was double what they had been paying before and were offered less desirable games. He also said that ESPN has plenty of time slots for the BIG 12 and PAC 12 and they are very interested in keeping them. He thinks the BIG 12 is in a little better spot because of the stability. He believes college sports are better when regional and that rivalry's and desirable matchup's are more important than market size or some of the other quantifiable numbers everyone is speculating on. He also does not believe we are headed to a system where only 2 Super Conferences matter and thinks there is room for all of the Power 5 to survive. He is really confident the playoff will expand with more access and money and was really surprised it got voted down last year. I have read similar sentiments from the former head of Fox Sports.

Hard not to get caught up in the hype and rumors floating around but I have started focusing on the guys that are currently or formerly in the industry.
The following is from a SI article regarding thoughts from sports media consultant and former Fox Sports president, Bob Thompson—

The latest conference realignment moves are coming at the behest of the two networks, many within the sport believe.

Thompson, however, does not buy into the theory. First off, commissioners and conference administrators ultimately make decisions in media rights negotiations, he says. And secondly, Fox and ESPN both need a healthy FBS—not a two-conference juggernaut that resembles the NFL. Two 16-team conferences don’t currently cover enough markets, though eventually that might change.

“It might happen down the road, but I bet it’d be closer to two 24-team leagues,” he says. “For both networks, it’s important that the ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12 remain strong.”

Bizarro Frog

When I started listening I had the same attitude but the guy came off as pretty genuine. Who knows if it's all a ruse but for the meantime it changed my mind and he sounded like a guy I work with that is pretty solid so maybe that influenced me as well. Either way I think we are attached at the hip with them going forward.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
When I started listening I had the same attitude but the guy came off as pretty genuine. Who knows if it's all a ruse but for the meantime it changed my mind and he sounded like a guy I work with that is pretty solid so maybe that influenced me as well. Either way I think we are attached at the hip with them going forward.
I am afraid you are correct. They need the content the BIGXII will generate, in addition to the revenue. I simply find it very, very difficult to turn my back on them. Pretty sure a dagger will wind up in my kidney if I do...

Bizarro Frog

I am afraid you are correct. They need the content the BIGXII will generate, in addition to the revenue. I simply find it very, very difficult to turn my back on them. Pretty sure a dagger will wind up in my kidney if I do...
A wise man sits with his back against the wall in a restaurant or bar so he can keep an eye on the room along with knowing the exits and who he might need to get through to get out.

A university administrator has said ESPN is a bear to negotiate with and thus you have to have another competitive bidder to go against them or you won’t get the value you want.

ESPN showed they are willing to walk if they don’t get what they want, by ending a 40 year relationship with the Big Ten. They may not be able to walk away from the Big 12 if they need the content, but if they are the only serious bidder then it seems they would dictate the price. Maybe ESPN and FOX each bid, but for different Tiers of the Big 12 and not against each other. FOX may not need Big 12 games.

Last edited:

Nick Danger

One KEY factor that 538 did not take into account …recruiting…B1G should not want to give the entire state of Texas recruiting over to the SEC …that is and will be the Frogs big selling point …one that everybody seems to be overlooking

That was my thought as well, so I did a little "data mining" of my own to see if I could quantify this perceived Texas recruiting benefit. These numbers are provided by Texas Football Magazine in their most recent edition.
  • In 2021 the State of Texas had a total of 287 signee's, which was the largest number in the country, just ahead of Florida and California (240 and 200 respectively).
  • Texas was led by the D/FW region with 118 signee's (which was 35 fewer than the previous year), and by the Houston region with 79 signee's.
  • Just by itself, the D/FW region had more signee's than all but three entire states (Florida, California, and Georgia).
  • The D/FW region and the Houston region together had a total of 197 signee's, trailing only Florida and California.
  • The D/FW and Houston region's total of 197 was 69% of the Texas total!
The big takeaway is that the D/FW Metroplex region is the biggest, fertile recruiting area in the biggest, fertile recruiting state, and especially so if taken in conjunction with just the Houston region. You would think that factor would come into play more for the B1G decision-makers than it apparently does for Nate Silver.

Last edited:

Eight

That was my thought as well, so I did a little "data mining" of my own to see if I could quantify this perceived Texas recruiting benefit. These numbers are provided by Texas Football Magazine in their most recent edition.
  • In 2021 the State of Texas had a total of 287 signee's, which was the largest number in the country, just ahead of Florida and California (240 and 200 respectively).
  • Texas was led by the D/FW region with 118 signee's (which was 35 fewer than the previous year), and by the Houston region with 79 signee's.
  • Just by itself, the D/FW region had more signee's than all but three entire states (Florida, California, and Georgia).
  • The D/FW region and the Houston region together had a total of 197 signee's, trailing only Florida and California.
The big takeaway is that the D/FW Metroplex region is the biggest, fertile recruiting area in the biggest, fertile recruiting state, and especially so if taken in conjunction with just the Houston region. You would think that factor would come into play more for the B1G decision makers than it apparently does for Nate Silver.

please tell me where a few of those wide receivers THE ohio state has had the past few years went to high school?

heck, they pulled a receiver from lake travis and a running back from la grange

they big schools pull talent nationally with or without games in areas

asleep003

I just don't see any possible way the 4 corners don't end up in the Big12... with Oregon this week in Chicago trying to maneuver it's way into the B1G while Kliavkoff's PAC hold on everyone there, except WSU/OSU, is pretty mushy.

HG73

I just don't see any possible way the 4 corners don't end up in the Big12... with Oregon this week in Chicago trying to maneuver it's way into the B1G while Kliavkoff's PAC hold on everyone there, except WSU/OSU, is pretty mushy.
If anyone needs a hummer just go on up to the B1G headquarters and get in the line marked "Oregon." They're in Chicago shamelessly begging for inclusion.

HG73

The big takeaway is that the D/FW Metroplex region is the biggest, fertile recruiting area in the biggest, fertile recruiting state, and especially so if taken in conjunction with just the Houston region. You would think that factor would come into play more for the B1G decision makers than it apparently does for Nate Silver.
Hopefully JD has 'splained this to Kevin Warren while handing him his substantial cash contribution (bribe).

Hemingway

Ohh kliavkoff..
Calm Down Kevin Bacon GIF by Puffin Graphic Design

Latest posts