• The KillerFrogs

B1G deal: Big Ten lands $7 billion, NFL-style TV contracts

HornyWartyToad

Wondering if this heats up the potential for B12 action now on the PAC teams? I wouldn't feel great about standing pat at this point.

"The Big Ten's new $7 billion media rights deal will string the conference's top football games across three major networks each week, creating an NFL-style television schedule on Saturdays.

The Big Ten announced Thursday it has reached seven-year agreements with Fox, CBS and NBC to share the rights to the conference's football and basketball games.

The deals go into effect in 2023, expire in 2030 and eventually will allow the conference's soon-to-be 16 member universities to share more than $1 billion per year, a person familiar with the terms told The Associated Press.

The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because Big Ten and network officials were not disclosing financial details publicly, but the deal is believed to be the richest ever on an annual basis for a college sports property. The large increase in revenue to the conference won't kick in until the third year of the deal and gradually will increase over the final five years."

Limey Frog

I don't think this changes anything for the Pac 10. Oregon and UW are still desperate for an invite; Arizona & co, would still jump to the Big 12 only if the Pac loses more members and is crumbling. So long as they're in a league with Oregon and UW, no one is going anywhere. The Pac is talking about trying to help their bigger brands by making a 50/50 split of playoff revenue shares: the school that earns the payout gets half, the league splits the other half between other members. With an expanded playoff, that might help Oregon close the revenue gap enough for them to sign a short-to-medium term TV deal with the Pac 10 (they'll obviously never do a 10-year GOR or more).

I don't think anything will happen now unless/until one of the following occurs:

Notre Dame joins the Big Ten (as to which no one seems to have any idea of the likelihood).

Kevin Warren convinces the Big Ten to up the ante on the California Regents' saber rattling re: UCLA by inviting 2 or 3 more Pac schools in order to nuke that conference entirely and get UCLA out cost/politics free.

HornyWartyToad

I'm sure I'm nowhere near sophisticated enough to understand the game being played, but seems to me like now their deal is inked based on the current membership, it's done. It becomes much less likely they are taking on anyone else, unless they have a side agreement to up their pay if they do. I could see that if they could get ND, but less so for UW or even Oregon.

EDIT: Just saw Limey's link. Exactly what they did. So I guess that makes it more likely for the PAC to hold together while UW and UO sit up and beg for an invite

Notre Dame—maybe further Big 10 expansion makes the Big 10 look more attractive to Notre Dame, along with this excellent (maybe perfect or close to it) media deal which includes three over-the-air TV channels for maximum exposure. The Big 10, intentionally or simply as a byproduct of good business, is implementing expansion of schools, their media markets and the best (over-the-air) broadcast partners to make itself almost irresistible to Notre Dame. That being said, the Irish has a long tradition of independence and the alumni have pride in that.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So, they have inked a deal. There will be no alterations without the consent of all parties, so I doubt there will be. Purdue and Indiana won't want their share of the lucre diluted for the likes of Oregon...

The deal has been finalized for a while now, as lawyers get paid by the hour and don't do anything quickly. This has given time for the Network people, who now have a hard number set for the B1G, to work with their remaining funds to settle the rest of their broadcast inventory. I imagine that is why it's been so quiet these last 10 days or so.

It's about to get louder.

I do not think conference realignment announcements have ever happened once a football season kicks off, so it either happens in the next two weeks or it is put on hold untll after the season—correct?

Yes, so let’s narrow that down to—has any P5 school announced a departure from a P5 conference during a season? Of course, there could always be a leak during a season which forces an announcement.

Last edited:
A&M to SEC?
I read the 2011 season began on Sept. 1, and from Wikipedia—A&M announced on August 31, 2011, that it would leave the Big 12 in June 2012 to join the SEC (in what Dr. Loftin referred to as "the 100-year decision"[15]), but the invitation process was prolonged by various moves by the Big 12, which feared that A&M's departure would scuttle the conference. Most notably, Baylor president Ken Starr threatened legal action if the SEC invited A&M.[16] In early September, the SEC issued a formal invitation to Texas A&M, but it was dependent on the Big 12 and its members releasing the conference from any liability with regard to the move. The SEC invitation was not final until September 25.

82 Frog Fever

AhhhHa, so Donati‘s Chicago trip was actually a discussion with B10 on dividing up the Pac12.
B10 wants some combo of O, W, S, Cal. for their late night Saturday offering
B12 wants some combo of Arizona(s), Utah, & Co.
Mtn. W. wants OSU & WSU
Done!

TCUdirtbag

I do not think conference realignment announcements have ever happened once a football season kicks off, so it either happens in the next two weeks or it is put on hold untll after the season—correct?
No

Yes, so let’s narrow that down to—has any P5 team announced a departure from a P5 conference during a season? Of course, there could always be a leak during a season which forces an announcement.
Why would anyone who’s remotely been paying attending to college athletics in recent years think “the way things were done in the past” matters?

HG73

So, the B1G finalized their TV deal and it has escalators if they expand further. They have a hunting license for the PAC and anybody else they want.

Fine. We'll let the B1G break up the PAC and we can 'save' those unfortunate souls who don't get invited.