• The KillerFrogs

B1G deal: Big Ten lands $7 billion, NFL-style TV contracts

asleep003

As smart and strategic as the B1G seems to be, they will do or have done due diligence on even the most remote possibility within the two most vulnerable P5 conferences. Whether or not you believe they would select us, we've surely popped up on their radar for reasons copiously mentioned here.
In the dark... had not realized it was so copious in the news ...

Absolutely true. Not necessarily about the cultural fit but there are some who are very vocal about the size of the B1G contract. Their envy is already showing. It's very much like all the pro athletes who one up each other with contact value.

Can't say that I'm a fan of the B1G but their leadership is really, really good.

NF
I would like to know the rationale for the SEC signing a deal with cable ESPN in December of 2020 that begins in 2024 and ends the summer of 2034. Why the rush and the long term?

Yes, in comparison, it seems the Big Ten got close to a perfect contract with money, three over-the-air TV channels (FOX, NBC, CBS) for maximum exposure and accompanying growth, and an expiration date of summer 2030. That allows them to negotiate again before the SEC and ACC dip in.

Last edited:

Palliative Care

I do not have a lot of “oh boy let’s get into the BIG”. But how well they are handling this makes me want to have a space in a conference like that one.

Virginia Frog

I do not have a lot of “oh boy let’s get into the BIG”. But how well they are handling this makes me want to have a space in a conference like that one.
The B1G is likely the ONLY avenue for "lowly" TCU to get into the "big payday." So strategy, contacts, and persuasion is in order, and PRAYER wouldn't hurt.

UDelConte is NEVER going to do the Frogs any favors, if and unlikely if, TCU becomes a (fringe) candidate for the SEC. They may even work AGAINST us. ("Oh, we've got Texas covered, no need for any other school.")

Otherwise, we just have to hope for a Power 3/4 where we are firmly in the upper-middle of the caste. Hoping that TV viewers RECOGNIZE the quality of football in the B12 and that the B1G and SEC has some really sorry programs in comparison. TCU, et.al. are worthy of their watching time and attention.

(Really we need to evolve away from the numbers - which are likely to be in flux up until 2040 or so - and the "Big" word which will be more commonly associated with the B1G Ten. Yea, branding and all that so it could hurt in the short-term but a more universal identity will be needed to compete with the Power Two conferences. IMO.)

Boomhauer

Man, bad timing to have our football program be down the last 4 years. BIG 10 wasn’t taking us anyway but could’ve at least given them something worth looking at on the field.

82 Frog Fever

IMO the current landscape works well for the B12.
Part of the beauty of the B12 is it‘s a solid #3 conference in terms of football ranking,
and possibly #3 in terms of media rights valuation. However, the other conferences don’t seem to want our teams,
so the B12 has some recently acquired stability.
B10 will likely take the 4 west coast schools, which leaves the 4 corner schools for the B12.
B12 will be a solid #3 and the ACC will be next in line for decimation. (Clemson, FL. St., UNC, Va.) The B12 could pick up a couple more teams as the dust settles.
The B12 may not be 1 or 2, but #3 with 16 to 20 teams covering three time zones will be a good place to be.
Wild speculation is fun.

TCU is Tier 4—a “strategic reach“ with a composite score of 45. In the Big 12, only Oklahoma State is ranked a smidgen (1 point) better. Kansas and WV are tied at 3rd with 42 points, and Baylor is a lesser Tier 5.

By the way, Kansas State is a distant last place in the Big 12 and that should be no surprise.

Relative to Big Ten schools, TCU‘s 45 points beats only Northwestern and Rutgers, by 1 and 3 points, respectively. As @Gary's Shirtless Revenge has alluded to, adding Rutgers may have been a bit crazy.

Last edited:

Palliative Care

This reminds me of a quotation I like, "All generalizations are false including this one." Extensive data analysis with multiple and diverse comparison points is the same and I would believe that even if TCU were ranked high on this list. Data can be made to say almost anything you want to add or leave out.

The BIG will decide not from analysis like this but instead will decide to take TCU because it wants in the DFW market or not. If they don't want TCU no justification needed. If they do watch for this to be something they talk about. This decision is about expanding their brand accross the country.

Bizarro Frog

I listened to podcast with the 2nd in command at ESPN and he basically said they pulled out of the bidding for the B1G because the price was double what they had been paying before and were offered less desirable games. He also said that ESPN has plenty of time slots for the BIG 12 and PAC 12 and they are very interested in keeping them. He thinks the BIG 12 is in a little better spot because of the stability. He believes college sports are better when regional and that rivalry's and desirable matchup's are more important than market size or some of the other quantifiable numbers everyone is speculating on. He also does not believe we are headed to a system where only 2 Super Conferences matter and thinks there is room for all of the Power 5 to survive. He is really confident the playoff will expand with more access and money and was really surprised it got voted down last year. I have read similar sentiments from the former head of Fox Sports.

Hard not to get caught up in the hype and rumors floating around but I have started focusing on the guys that are currently or formerly in the industry.

peacock

One KEY factor that 538 did not take into account …recruiting…B1G should not want to give the entire state of Texas recruiting over to the SEC …that is and will be the Frogs big selling point …one that everybody seems to be overlooking

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I listened to podcast with the 2nd in command at ESPN and he basically said they pulled out of the bidding for the B1G because the price was double what they had been paying before and were offered less desirable games. He also said that ESPN has plenty of time slots for the BIG 12 and PAC 12 and they are very interested in keeping them. He thinks the BIG 12 is in a little better spot because of the stability. He believes college sports are better when regional and that rivalry's and desirable matchup's are more important than market size or some of the other quantifiable numbers everyone is speculating on. He also does not believe we are headed to a system where only 2 Super Conferences matter and thinks there is room for all of the Power 5 to survive. He is really confident the playoff will expand with more access and money and was really surprised it got voted down last year. I have read similar sentiments from the former head of Fox Sports.

Hard not to get caught up in the hype and rumors floating around but I have started focusing on the guys that are currently or formerly in the industry.
I would drag out an iceberg sized grain of salt to take with the ESPN person's comments. I would doubt that he said anything which hadn't been thoroughly thought out, vetted with lawyers, and discussed beforehand.

A price has been set with the B1G. It remains to be see what will happen with the BIGXII, but I can't help but think that anything ESPN says or does is an attempt to poison the well for bidding purposes. These people are vile, lying pieces of crap, and we trust them at our peril.