Tier 1
Go Army
Behind Enemy Lines Go Army GIF by California Army National Guard
In Your Face Omg GIF by California Army National Guard
Army West Point GIF by UCF Knights

beat the squids!

Last edited:

Frog DJ

The wife and I were fortunate enough to get to stay in a USMC professor’s home over the weekend in which TCU played Army at West Point.

It proved to be a two-day history lesson that I will always recall with awe and fondness.

The Lt. Colonel in whose home we stayed took us down to the basement and showed us a dirt-floor room that he told us housed many early classes for the cadets.

He said, “Both Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant studied in this room.” I must admit, I got chills thinking about that as I stood there.

Go Army! Best Navy!

Go Frogs!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Because they play the game the way it was intended. No NIL, amateurs playing they way college football was intended. We can pretend these are old fashioned reasons we watch, but it's why we watch.
Actually cadets and midshipmen are salaried, starting at about $900 a month in their first year. But I get your point.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
The wife and I were fortunate enough to get to stay in a USMC professor’s home over the weekend in which TCU played Army at West Point.

It proved to be a two-day history lesson that I will always recall with awe and fondness.

The Lt. Colonel in whose home we stayed took us down to the basement and showed us a dirt-floor room that he told us housed many early classes for the cadets.

He said, “Both Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant studied in this room.” I must admit, I got chills thinking about that as I stood there.

Go Army! Best Navy!

Go Frogs!
These academies and the people that go through are special.

My wife met me in DC a few years ago when I was there and a friend begged me to go to see his son at Annapolis. I told him the last thing a plebe would want is two old farts visiting him. He said I couldn’t be more wrong because he is allowed to do things he usually can’t.

It started out bad getting stuck in traffic and were an hour late. We pull up to the Marine guard, got a parade salute, explained our visit. He said there was a plebe sitting on a bench at brace position the last hour in the sun. Crap. He seemed glad to see us inspite of the wait.

We asked if we could take him to dinner and said he had made plans for us already. After a very detailed personal tour he told us it was time to eat.

He walked us to the main dining hall and gave us a run down on etiquette. First, it was a great honor as we’d be the only two civilians in there. We were to stand behind our chairs. There would be one bell, be seated. Two bells, pray. Third bell, commence fire. He said upon three bells please eat or drink something immediately as no one can move until the guest starts first. No pressure.

We walk in and the almost 4 thousand cadets and plebes are stock still at an attention behind their chairs, including the commandant, command staff and chaplain. Total silence.

We stand at the head of the table. One bell, almost 4 thousand butts hit their chairs in unison, chins in their chest at a brace. Silence. 2 bells, grace and a welcome to the two visitors ( getting nervous!). 3 bells I take a sip of tea and immediately everyone is talking and eating. Plebes are excused from harassment with guests there (that’s why he wanted to see us). Everyone at our table asked about us and nice as can be. One guy saw my TCU ring (must’ve been color blind withe purple stone) and asked what year I graduated from Annapolis, had to tell him I didn’t rather embarrassingly.

I can’t even remember what we ate. At the end they all stood at attention until we left. It was a pretty cool building. If I recall the podium where the command staff ate resembled a bridge on an old sailing ship with an old wooden wheel, brass compass etc.

It was quite an honor. The guy we saw there is flying Super F 18s on a carrier in the pacific, permanently based at NAS Lemoore, CA.

Last edited:

Latest posts