• The KillerFrogs

Anyone else have high levels of irrational confidence?

PO Frog

TCU was hanging in the big 12 champ until the offensive scheme went bat crap crazy. That was on SC.
Arguable but in both games, OU could have named their number which is why I say GP got out coached . And if you guys will remember, we came back against them two years before because we knocked baker out of the game and the year before last they scored like 35 unanswered on us. I don't think Ohio state can expose us as badly.

cdsfrog

Strangely I feel better about this game than the last years' OU games. OU has similar athletes (which I think we can deal with to a certain extent) but Lincoln Riley absolutely outcoached GP in both of those games, which is rare. I don't see Urban Meyer (or his puppet) doing so against us. They may beat us, but I don't see them scoring on their first 6 or 7 possessions or whatever it was both times we played OU. Baker Mayfield was obviously a big factor too, and this guy ain't no Baker Mayfield.

That goes without question. I loathe Baker Mayfield but he was like a BYU QB last year, about 32 with a decade of experience. I feel way more confident about this game than OU the 2nd time last year. Doesn't mean I think we'll win but we certainly can win. I felt like the blowout that happened in the CC was a forgone conclusion.

OU should have beat Georgia, had it not failed in the 3rd quarter last year.

cdsfrog

BUCKEYES 3 Days 2:40:21
killer.gif

Anyone else have high levels of irrational confidence?

YES!
I like this very much and want it on a shirt.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
All Lincoln Riley did to win those games was scheme the Patterson 4-2-5 defense and note it's tendencies. He then crafted an offensive game plan to take advantage of what he saw as weaknesses, and BM and company went out and executed perfectly.

It isn't often that 1.) GMFP gets out-schemed, 2.) An Offense executes perfectly, and 3.) Adjustments are useless. I would expect that GMFP stayed up later than normal to figure out how to close up the holes exposed by Riley, and has introduced those modifications to this year's defensive schemes and responsibilities. Sports are always a series of adjustments, and GMFP is and has been one of the best at spotting weakness both in opponents games and his own.

CUM will, of course, use a lot of what OU used to great success against us: Isolate defensive players and force them to commit to a player, then hit the other player. Worked all game for BM and Riley. Will it work this time? I don't think it will have nearly the success. tOSU doesn't run that style of offense, they don't have the speed of OU, and their QB hasn't the accuracy or poise of BM. They are better served playing old-school B1G football, and grinding it out on the ground. That's not splashy enough for CUM, though...

Wild Card is TCU Offense.

jake102

All Lincoln Riley did to win those games was scheme the Patterson 4-2-5 defense and note it's tendencies. He then crafted an offensive game plan to take advantage of what he saw as weaknesses, and BM and company went out and executed perfectly.

I disagree with a lot of this.

It was obvious we had a tiny chance of winning the re-match in the CCG.... if you remember, going into the game in Norman the story line was TCU's great DL against OU's elite OL. Our DL got whipped. Those things don't change in the course of a month, regardless of coaching.

And OU had Baker Mayfield who had seen TCU's defense many times and is a truly elite college QB. He could see through our defense and adjustments and found the holes. 99% of college QBs aren't able to do that consistently against our 4-2-5

I don't think Riley out-schemed GP, he just had a significant talent advantage. Kevin Sumlin looked like a top 5 coach when he had the best OL in college football and Manziel...... very similar situation.

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum
The reward should go to whoever can run down who that girl is and what she is doing now.

I've tried to track this down before... for science.

Consensus seems to be that it's either A) Tara Reid B) Brittany Snow with a very technologically-advanced brassiere or C) A totally above-average, non-famous joe whose friend captured a brilliant moment

Tara%20Reid%20Smiling%20And%20Saying%20Hii%20Photoshoot.jpg

Brittanysnow.jpg

Yance

I too, have high levels of confidence... However, I don't see them as being irrational. My team is favored and I think they cover with ease.

Mean Purple

It was obvious we had a tiny chance of winning the re-match in the CCG.... if you remember, going into the game in Norman the story line was TCU's great DL against OU's elite OL. Our DL got whipped. Those things don't change in the course of a month, regardless of coaching.

And OU had Baker Mayfield who had seen TCU's defense many times and is a truly elite college QB. He could see through our defense and adjustments and found the holes. 99% of college QBs aren't able to do that consistently against our 4-2-5

I don't think Riley out-schemed GP, he just had a significant talent advantage. Kevin Sumlin looked like a top 5 coach when he had the best OL in college football and Manziel...... very similar situation.
Baker moving and suffering the d backs had a lot to do with it. You cant leave your man or he hits the big play. Offense going on odd play calls hit is a lot on the second half.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

The second half of that game was grotesque. We had the initial 1st play blunder, but came back. I thought we would make some adjustments for the second half, make it a close game. I don't discount BM's ability or the OU talent positions, I simply maintain that they spotted some weak spots and took full advantage. I will also say that Lincoln Riley is hardly the first opposing coach to try to exploit what he thinks are weaknesses in the 4-2-5, he just had the people to pull off what he wanted to do.

I think we agree.

CountryFrog

OU was able to create lots of 1-on-1 matchups with their top playmakers against our LBs and safeties. They almost never threw against our corners. They had a great OL that allowed those matchups to work their way down the field for separation and Mayfield to have a clean pocket to throw from which, with his phenomenal accuracy lead to lots of pinpoint passes. Additionally, because the OU run game was so strong, we had to respect every aspect of their offense in every play.

If Ohio St can do all of that then they too will likely score lots of points and I would imagine they'll roll through the Big 10. I personally don't believe they have the personnel to do it but I don't know that for a fact.

Our final failing against OU was our offensive inability to expose the biggest weakness of the OU defense, which was their secondary. Time will tell if we've improved in the passing game this year over last year.

PO Frog

I usually am on the same page as you Jake but I disagree here. I think Riley has a bead on GP’s calls and DB keys and takes advantage of it. Obviously helps to have BM and Anderson and a great OL, but they have scored at will for three straight games.

H0RNEDFR0G

We beat Southern U badly, as we should have. We don't deserve any credit there. We got off to a slow start against SMU after a rain delay. Ohio State fans see this and think they should destroy us. TCU fans are willing to overlook this, knowing that SMU is a rivalry game and the field conditions were awful. We hope the football team has the same mentality as their fans, but they won't. Ohio State will not underestimate TCU.

If Robinson plays better than he did at TTU, SU, & SMU we will have a chance to win. If it's more of the same, we lose. He needs to hit some receivers deep and stretch the field. I don't think Ohio State is going to put 48 points on us, but we're also not gonna hold them to 20.

CountryFrog

I usually am on the same page as you Jake but I disagree here. I think Riley has a bead on GP’s calls and DB keys and takes advantage of it. Obviously helps to have BM and Anderson and a great OL, but they have scored at will for three straight games.
It takes both coaching and players with a heavy lean toward the players. I know there are a lot of people in college and the NFL who have a very high opinion of Riley's scheme, though, so he is definitely a bigger factor than most teams' OC or HC.

jake102

yeah I should probably give a little more credit to Riley. He obviously has a pretty good handle on what they are doing.

Probably most disappointing was Cumbie being fooled by whatever defense they played against us. Their defense was pretty bad last year.

Snoop1122

I am confident we will play to the best of our ability in that GP will research the best possible game plan or Cumbie will have an offense to surprise OSU. Now, we will win if we can get some big plays early in the game against OSU's defense to get our offense going. I think that is the key to the game. We all know GP's defense shines in big games but we have not seen Robinson in this type of big game since he dominated at Gatorade Player of the year.