• The KillerFrogs

Anyone else have high levels of irrational confidence?

CountryFrog

I had the same confidence vs. OU.

I thought there was no way Coach P losses to the same team twice in the same season. We got beat worse the second time around.

The eventual outcome left a scar and I am not too optimistic about this one.
I know that almost all sports fans suffer from high degrees of what have you done for me lately syndrome, but up until last year the overwhelming majority of big games that we've played in have either been Frog victories or we have at least taken the game all the way to the end with a chance to win. Oklahoma was very clearly just a really bad matchup for us last year and we didn't have answers for them. They would seem to be the exception rather than the norm.

Not to mention these are two totally different teams. One of them is literally a different team and TCU has a lot of different players out there. If TCU loses this game then it's not going to have anything to do with the Oklahoma games from last year.

CountryFrog

I know we're all supposed to be worshipping at the alter of Ohio St football and being super "objective" about our own team but I honestly don't understand how anyone who calls themselves a fan of a team who is widely regarded as being really good would ever go into a game expecting to lose. It totally boggles my mind. Obviously if you're a fan of UC Davis and you've got Alabama on the schedule then you rightly shouldn't be confident. But there is no one in college football who has so much more talent than TCU that we don't even have a chance to win. And as long as we have a chance to win then I will be confident going into every game. I know we won't win them all, but there's no reason to go into any single game expecting not to win.

matmoo123

I was optimistic until I compared the number of stars in their recruiting rankings to ours and decided to start cheering for the Buckeyes. Sorry gang but I’ll only be cheering for teams that average 4.5+ stars from here on out.

Wexahu

I know we're all supposed to be worshipping at the alter of Ohio St football and being super "objective" about our own team but I honestly don't understand how anyone who calls themselves a fan of a team who is widely regarded as being really good would ever go into a game expecting to lose. It totally boggles my mind. Obviously if you're a fan of UC Davis and you've got Alabama on the schedule then you rightly shouldn't be confident. But there is no one in college football who has so much more talent than TCU that we don't even have a chance to win. And as long as we have a chance to win then I will be confident going into every game. I know we won't win them all, but there's no reason to go into any single game expecting not to win.

There is a big difference in saying you expect your team to win and really, really believing it. I don't think there's anyone who doesn't think we have a chance to win, but if you really think it's going to happen there are people out there willing to give you 13 free points and allow you to make a whole bunch of money on this game if you want to. If there was a game out there I truly thought a 13-point underdog was going to win outright, I couldn't get to a bookie fast enough.

Sebastian S

I know that almost all sports fans suffer from high degrees of what have you done for me lately syndrome, but up until last year the overwhelming majority of big games that we've played in have either been Frog victories or we have at least taken the game all the way to the end with a chance to win. Oklahoma was very clearly just a really bad matchup for us last year and we didn't have answers for them. They would seem to be the exception rather than the norm.

Not to mention these are two totally different teams. One of them is literally a different team and TCU has a lot of different players out there. If TCU loses this game then it's not going to have anything to do with the Oklahoma games from last year.

OSU has out recruited OU almost every single year since 2014.

Average recruiting ranking 2014-2018
OSU - 6.2
OU - 9.6
TCU - 34.6

If we couldn't figure out OU last year, and frankly almost every year since we got in the big 12, OSU has even better and more talented players. Yes, Baker Mayfield could be the outlier but OSU also has a heisman quality QB who is probably better than Mayfield, definitely more talented.

Sure, we can catch lightning in a bottle and win this game but it's hard to be overly optimistic comparing them to the closest/most similar team we have played against OU.

CountryFrog

There is a big difference in saying you expect your team to win and really, really believing it. I don't think there's anyone who doesn't think we have a chance to win, but if you really think it's going to happen there are people out there willing to give you 13 free points and allow you to make a whole bunch of money on this game if you want to. If there was a game out there I truly thought a 13-point underdog was going to win outright, I couldn't get to a bookie fast enough.
I've never bet on a sporting event in my life.

I don't think anyone is arguing that they KNOW what is going to happen one way or another. I'm certainly not. But if you've ever played sports then you go into every game believing that you will win because why else would you play the game. I'll try to be objective about games not involving TCU but I'll always approach every TCU game believing they will win.

Chongo94

giphy.gif