• The KillerFrogs

Any kf.c'ers who consider themselves X & O kinda guys

joefrog91

I can't break down film, but Shaky Smithson puts them in great field position on returns. The offense is running pretty smoothly with great running by both RBs. Wynn has looked good and they've also been playing Cain as well 2H. It's going to be tough. TCU cannot have any breakdowns on kick-offs or punts.

Only game I've seen has been the Pitt game, and frankly both teams looked terrible. I'm not sure at this point that game has much value in previewing our game. Besides, Pitt would obviously beat them now ...

DickBumpastache

QB Wynn is not the same 17 year old you saw last season. He can throw darts; very big arm. Looks similar to Oregon St QB Katz to me. He still trusts his arm too much sometimes and will try to rifle one into double coverage.

Utes have, IMO, the best receivers in the conference. No real tall threats but they're all very quick and they can catch. Shaky Smithson is the best punt returner in the country statistically. I highly doubt TCU kicks to him at all. Jereme Brooks is their possession receiver.

Utah still has a thunder & lightning running combo with Eddie Wide and Matt Asiata. Decent backs but I've been a bit underwhelmed by Utah's running game. They do have 4 starters back from last year's OL, however. Opposing defenses simply don't sack Utah's QBs. Only given up 3 sacks in 7 games.

Defensively, the Utes will always be stout against the run. They will load the box against TCU with 8 and force Dalton and our receivers to beat them. They don't use many of the stunts/slants that Boise did to shut down TCU's run game last year, but they have a lot of strength up front. Best player on the line is #98 Sealver Siliga, a DT who almost never pops up in the stat sheet but is there simply to clog the middle of the line. He'll probably require a double team for most of the game. #90 Derrick Shelby is also very good on the DL.

Utah is also aggressive about blitzing. The Utes send corners/safeties off the edge a lot and force the QB to make a quick read. This also shuts down runs to the outside of the tackles.

The most important thing to note about Utah is how laughably soft their schedule has been so far. New Mexico, San Jose State, UNLV, Colorado State, Wyoming, Iowa State and Pitt. The best team they played, Pitt, took them to overtime at home. That was the first game of the year though and the Utes have been blowing everyone out since then. It's tough to get a read on how good this team really is until they play someone close in their range of talent. That's way this week @ Air Force is a very intriguing game. Utah has never beaten Air Force by more than a touchdown since the MWC was formed. The Falcons are a very good team despite their showing this Saturday and this is a very tough game for Utah considering who they have on deck after this week.

JugbandFrog

I've seen them twice and I consider Wynn to be a very talented kid, but he is very Brett Favreish. He does not make the best decisions at QB and gets spooked far to easily. Translation: he will make some great plays,especially out of the pocket, but he will also make some disastrous ones. The kid is something else though when he isnt shooting his team in the foot.

Frog89

Utah is very good, but I do think their schedule has helped them. If this game was in Ft. Worth, I think the line may be 14 to 17 points with TCU being the favorite. In SLC, I'd would give Utah the overall advantage (maybe a 1 or 2 point spread). It's not that I don't think TCU has a better team. We had a better team in 2008, and that didn't matter. Until TCU figures out how to not just play better and dominate Utah in SLC, but actually win the game there too, I'll have to continue to give Utah the slight edge. Can't wait to be proven wrong....

Big Frog II

Andy is going to have to play a very good game, no interceptions and no stupid sacks while in field goal range. If Andy has a game like he did against Baylor, we will win. Also, receivers can not drop passes.

micahjh

As usual with most TCU games, the matchup that will be the difference is our offense against their defense. The flip side will not be the difference maker. Utah has been playing very well on offense and are much improved from last year. But the Frogs defense can and will keep them in check, if the offense does its part to control the clock. Utah likes to fling it around and relies on their atheletic WRs to make plays downfield. They have a very talented and deep WR pool. TCUs DBs are not chopped liver, and will eliminate the speed and athletecism edge that Utah WRs have enjoyed in all their other games. If the secondary doesnt miss tackles then the Frogs will be fine on defense, pressuring Wynne is a bonus, and TCU should be able to give him more pressure than he has seen since he was in Ft Worth last year. If the Frogs defense can steal a turnover or two, then that will be huge, and thats not out of the questino. Wynne didnt start two of their games, but has 5 picks in the 5 games has played in. Utah has fumbled a fair amount as well.

Again the key is what happens when TCU has the ball. Utah has the best defense in terms of both atheleticism and coaching that TCU has seen this year, and they will scheme up well. The Frogs offense has looked stellar in recent weeks. Mixing the power running game with throws downfield is a deadly combo. Utah very well may load the box to try and stuff the run, as BYU did, but Dalton made BYU pay, and should be able to pick some shots downfield on the Utes as well, though they are clearly better in the Secondary than BYU. Staying on the field and controlling the clock, not turning the ball over, and red zone effeciency for TCUs offense will be what decides the contest.

The matchups on paper favor the Frogs, particularly if TCU can pound the ground game like we have seen recently, then take shots downfield on playaction. This game is no gimme by any stretch of the imagination. The crowd will be foaming at the mouth for this one, making it the most hostile environment that TCU has seen since Clemson last year. Utah is a complete team, capable of beating TCU on a neutral field, and Rice-Eccles is no neutral field. The Frogs should still have an edge on paper. But going into SLC and comoing out with a win will be a terrific task. This is one where you really and truly jsut want to win by one point.

I can't break down film, but Shaky Smithson puts them in great field position on returns. The offense is running pretty smoothly with great running by both RBs. Wynn has looked good and they've also been playing Cain as well 2H. It's going to be tough. TCU cannot have any breakdowns on kick-offs or punts.

We will be giving up a lot with out K. Griffin in the middle. He is an anchor on the line and really good at mucking things up. His absence opens up running lanes inside the tackles. His loss makes me a lot less confident about winning in UTAH.

angelo's frog

They evidently blitz a lot. Their sack leader is a corner. He has 5.5 sacks out of their total of 22. So 25% of their sacks are by a cornerback.

In contrast, 15 out of our 20 sacks are by DL. 6 by DT's alone.

LVfrog

This game looks to be just like the '08 game but we are vastly more experienced this time. If we minimize our mistakes this game will be a victory.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Utar against this AFA team isn't a barometer, IMO. Yes we beat them badly, in part because it was a very different team on both sides of the ball from the one that played OU, because of injuries. So, we'll see what happens in the Springs. But even if Utar wins by 3 TD or more, it doesn't mean much. Honestly, you all know how LHCGP pulls back against the service academies--he doesn't want to embarass them. We could have put 70 on AFA this past week.

Goodnight

I think we have an edge on Utah at the line of scrimmage(even with K. Griffin out). Colorado State's defensive front was doing fairly well against Utah early, but wore down as the game went on. I don't think we will wear out because we are deeper, better and won't allow Utah to hold onto the ball.

Utah's run game does not scare me. Their run game hasn't produced anything on us the previous 2 matchups and won't this time.

What does scare me is their passing game. Though we shut it down in 2008, their last drive they were able to pick apart our defense because we were tired and they were running their 2 minute offense, meaning our defensive front was exhausted and could not get a good pass rush. The key will be to pressure Jordan Wynn, we can not let him sit back in the pocket and pick us apart. Their receivers are too good and our defensive scheme relies too much on forcing the QB to make passes he doesn't want to make. Pass rush will be HUGE and in my opinion the biggest factor in the game. Plus, their passing game was able to accomplish some good things against us last year - even though they don't have #16 Reed, they do have #85 Brooks and #1 Smithson who will be able to get things done. Greg McCoy will need to have a good game in coverage.

Our offense had their way with the Utah Defense in 2008 and 2009. I think we are going to be able to move the ball well. Utah's defense is not as good as they were last year or in 2008, in my opinion, despite what you are seeing on the scoreboard. Let's face it, Pitt with a QB starting his first ever game was able to score 21 on Utah in regulation. Iowa State was able to do well at first. Apart from that, Utah hasn't faced a good offense. I expect them to load the box like BYU so our passing game will need to be in good form to open up the run lanes. Either way, I am not concerned about our offense for this game. We should do well here. However - UNLIKE 2008 WE HAVE TO FINISH DRIVES. Can not settle for multiple field goals. Can not take sacks to get out of field goal range. MUST MAKE FIELD GOALS if we kick. Have to be smart in the red zone. Can not let them hang around.

Utah will have a home field advantage of course, and again we have not been to a hostile environment this year and won't until this game. However many players who will play in this game played @ Clemson and @ BYU last year, and @ Oklahoma 2 years ago, so it won't phaze them. Another factor is the weather. The game is 12 days out but the forecast is calling for good weather at this time. But that could change. If the game is raining and cold that could hurt us.

My prediction is that we will move the ball well on offense, and finish drives unlike in 2008. However, the crowd of Utah will be a factor and keep them in it until the 4th quarter, but Jordan Wynn will be unable to lead them to a victory unlike Brian Johnson did in 2008 because our pass rush will be better and Wynn has never faced a defense this good up to this point. I see this game playing out similar to the Oregon State game - close until the end, but we make a huge defensive play late to seal it up. We win by 10.

tcujsauce

IMO, getting consistent pressure on Wynne is of upmost importance. He's still a young kid, but he's proven this season that if he's got time, he will tear a secondary apart. Yes, I realize he hasn't faced a D like ours yet, but if we don't get good pressure early and often, old Uncle Mo' could get him rolling.

KG being out is a bit of a concern, but I have liked what I've seen from Coleman and Yendrey so far. They should be able to fill in. Hopefully our front 4 can cause enough chaos to allow us to drop more in coverage to neutralize their athletic WR's and give Wynne more white jerseys to look at downfield.

cpmencio

Agree with most of these assessments. The only area TCU has the clear advantage is turnover margin. Utah is -5, TCU is +5. Utah has been suffering from a bit of fumble-itis. Lost 8 so far this year. Score early before their defense has time to adjust and clamp down and take advantage of/cause turnovers. I know its a "duh" game plan, but I think that's be the only way TCU will win handily (although I'd love to be wrong).

It should be a really good game.