• The KillerFrogs

Anderson to be OL coach.

Just picture ArDarius Washington doing stuff and you’ll be happy again . Also, try to pretend that D Barlow and D Foster are Eric Dickerson and Emmitt Smith.
I can't think of a better 3 to fit that. Foster and Barlow were quite impressive in a limited sample but AW has all of "it" and a lot more. Maybe not all the measurables but he can play some football.

NewFrogFan

Hell.... I’m pissed about the season, I’m pissed about Anderson, and I hate our offense and I’m still excited for next year.

Not sure what I would do if I wasn’t also watching a record setting season for my other team. You should really come sit next to ol #87, his frustration with the offense is real, so is mine but then I know what will be recorded when I get home.

froginmn

All the folks claiming he has earned the right to stay here as long as he wants might be close to seeing how that approach on coaches goes down hill quickly. Patterson is stubborn. This team has been trending downward for a while.
Well, at least in the two years since we were in the CCG.

4th. down

I am as well because, well, it's just part of what I do and I can't help it. But, just my honest feelings right now, that feeling isn't near what it could be had we gone out and found the best OC and best OL coach available for us to hire which we clearly did not.

There is a continuation of double talk and misdirection coming out of our football program via Donati and GP, referring to the Startlegram article on the interview with Donati. Donati said that he and GP have been working on the football situation for several months and that TCU has the resources available to accomplish their mission.

Now, think about what that article was focusing on and the immediate results we get with the Anderson move. We must not really have the resources Donati was adamant about because it is very doubtful that a national search was done to hire the best offensive line coach we could find. This is what depresses me more than anything about our program. Too much coverup, misdirection, and sleight of hand.

MinFrog

So far, this doesn’t bode well for confidence in GP and JD going forward. They need to be able to attract promising coaches to come to TCU. If any former players show up as paid assistant coaches, that may be it for me. JD needs to put some skins on the wall and set this program up for success and this isn’t a move that dies that, IMO.

Moose Stuff

This thread will be fun to come back to when we win the conference next year

Oh if we win the conference next year the OL will still suck and it will be Anderson/Gary/Donati who are to blame when we lose in the first round of the playoffs. I’m always amused by people who take bad news and go immediately to the worst case scenario.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Wow.

I have been defending GMFP and his knowledge, cunning, etc., and this comes in across the transom. I'd rather he picked V. Boschini to coach the O-line than the Most Worthless Individual on Staff. Each and every position he has "coached" has degenerated into a clown show, and we have no reason to believe that the next season will be any different than, say, the Receivers in 2013.

Disappointed. Annoyed. Expectant of complete failure. There is the possibility that I am wrong, and that our best set of O-line recruits in years will learn the basics of their positions and scheme of the unit, and quickly blossom into their potential. There is also the possibility that I will win the Lottery, lose 30 pounds of ugly fat, have my hair turn brown again, and find an intelligent starship lurking in the barn unbeknownst all these years...

I feel that I can confidently plan a Vacation next year around Bowl season and not have any conflicts. No problem at all.

Eight

There is a continuation of double talk and misdirection coming out of our football program via Donati and GP, referring to the Startlegram article on the interview with Donati. Donati said that he and GP have been working on the football situation for several months and that TCU has the resources available to accomplish their mission.

Now, think about what that article was focusing on and the immediate results we get with the Anderson move. We must not really have the resources Donati was adamant about because it is very doubtful that a national search was done to hire the best offensive line coach we could find. This is what depresses me more than anything about our program. Too much coverup, misdirection, and sleight of hand.

as i said in another thread on this subject, i am not certain this was a matter of what tcu COULD do, but instead what gary CHOSE to do with this move.

all jokes and comments about anderson aside (and i have been quite clear on my thoughts on this decision) i think gary values anderson's loyalty and willingness to be moved around to whichever position group he is asked to coach. no different than gary loves the player who will move to whatever position the team needs him, anderson has coached wide receivers, running backs, and offensive line multiple times because gary has asked him to do that.

granted, i can't think of too many head coaches who have made a similar choice once let alone twice, but remember that gary is the guy who had his linebackers coached for two years by a ga and no regular position coach. gary is going to do what gary wants to do with his staff and we have seen this time and time again so to me this isn't a matter of what gary could offer, but what he chose to do.

i think they really like tony savino and garrett altman and believe that with those two handling the technical part of the teaching the frogs can have similar success to what they say in 2014-15 when the frogs had a ga handled most of the o-line coaching.

this move does make the next hiring decisions critical. do you go after a running back coach like joseph turner or chris brasfield? do you go after andrew hayes-stoker to fill the second receiver position and help him mentor not only the young receivers but a young coach in malcolm kelly who appears to have a really bright future?

finally, i still believe the frogs are going to bring in an analyst to help provide structure and design to this offense. i don't believe it is going to be a cutting edge offense guy like other sites have mentioned, but i could see as i mentioned someone like jerry kill who has a great relationship with gary, could be a mentor to cumbie, and has run the balanced, run first type of offense gary seems to want and i am perfectly happy with. just give me something with a plan.

Last edited:

Palliative Care

Moving Anderson around gives Gary the flexibility to hire any number of offensive coordinators. In fact this move may well be associated with the process of a new hire already in the works which probably would be announced after a bowl game or two.

Eight

Moving Anderson around gives Gary the flexibility to hire any number of offensive coordinators. In fact this move may well be associated with the process of a new hire already in the works which probably would be announced after a bowl game or two.

i don't think we see gary hire a completely new oc, but as we saw with burns and anderson he isn't opposed to removing titles and keeping people on staff.

not sure how cumbie would react to such a move as he is much younger than burns and anderson were at that point in their careers and i am not sure how that looks on a resume for someone who wants to be a head coach some day.

hiring someone like a hayes-stoker to wr/co-oc/passing game coordinator gives you a similar structure on paper to what we saw we cumbie and luper with the big key being how do they get along and share ideas with each other.

texas_sicilian

i don't think we see gary hire a completely new oc, but as we saw with burns and anderson he isn't opposed to removing titles and keeping people on staff.

not sure how cumbie would react to such a move as he is much younger than burns and anderson were at that point in their careers and i am not sure how that looks on a resume for someone who wants to be a head coach some day.

hiring someone like a hayes-stoker to wr/co-oc/passing game coordinator gives you a similar structure on paper to what we saw we cumbie and luper with the big key being how do they get along and share ideas with each other.
Outside of OL performance (which I’m still struggling with how the Anderson move is going to significantly change that), we have two problems: offensive play calling/planning and in-game adjustments (on offense). Maybe another position coach can lend some ideas in pre-game play calling, but they’re certainly not going to be able to help Cumbie reformulate a plan in the middle of a game.

This whole thing is just a head scratcher at this point. Hope it all comes together and makes sense soon.

Eight

Outside of OL performance (which I’m still struggling with how the Anderson move is going to significantly change that), we have two problems: offensive play calling/planning and in-game adjustments (on offense). Maybe another position coach can lend some ideas in pre-game play calling, but they’re certainly not going to be able to help Cumbie reformulate a plan in the middle of a game.

This whole thing is just a head scratcher at this point. Hope it all comes together and makes sense soon.

i agree which is why the next hires are critical for any real change to take shape.

anderson is a foot solider loyal to gary and the program fitting in where he is asked and i think he and his offensive line support staff (i.e. savino and altman) will teach what they are asked to teach.

adding someone to help with the passing game and being up in the box to help with calls is the next step to me and this is why i hope we saw anderson move to free open that slot. i can't think of any passing game coordinators who coach offensive line, but there are quite a few that coach receivers.

i also think this is were additional support staff comes into play. someone like a kill to help cumbie during the week.