• The KillerFrogs

Air Force makes bold move, smart move....

Waccy Frog

Air Force is saying something important about the Big East. They have concluded that they can't keep up in a BCS league like the Big 12, but that's not a problem in the Big East. True enough. Hard to imagine that the Big East can hang on to AQ status in perpetuity.

HFrog1999

Air Force is saying something important about the Big East. They have concluded that they can't keep up in a BCS league like the Big 12, but that's not a problem in the Big East. True enough. Hard to imagine that the Big East can hang on to AQ status in perpetuity.
The BCS is not about merit.

Atomic Frawg

I agree with this, in part. AF is absolutely correct in saying that they cannot recruit against the B12 schools, and therefore, cannot compete on a consistent basis. That is the plain truth, and there is no shame in that statement. There is no Texas, no OU, in the BE. What AF is saying is something we, as TCU fans should be aware of - two teams in the B12 will always get the cream. The rest of us will have to make our own. Is AF saying they are taking the easy way out...no. They are being prudent and realistic in there approach, which is what we should expect of people who fight wars.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
I agree with this, in part. AF is absolutely correct in saying that they cannot recruit against the B12 schools, and therefore, cannot compete on a consistent basis. That is the plain truth, and there is no shame in that statement. There is no Texas, no OU, in the BE. What AF is saying is something we, as TCU fans should be aware of - two teams in the B12 will always get the cream. The rest of us will have to make our own. Is AF saying they are taking the easy way out...no. They are being prudent and realistic in there approach, which is what we should expect of people who fight wars.

We've been making our own all along - except with the additional handicap of being in conferences perceived as inferior. Many pundits have already pointed out that this move levels the playing field. And that's all we've ever really asked for - a level playing field. If we can reach #2 in the nation with such a handicap, imagine the possibilities without it....not to mention an extra few million in the budget.

helcap

The BCS is not about merit.

Correct, is about money. And a conference that keeps being beaten badly in BCS bowls, brings few fans, and lousey TV ratings will not continue to be attractive to other BCS members or the bowls. Thats the challenge the Big East will face

Stiff Arm Frog

After this Air Force announcement I'm sorta hoping TCU will decide to stay in the Big East. Playing Army, Navy, and Air Force every year would be pretty cool.

asleep003

As previously posted... Monday we are supposed to know if the joint TCU/ BE efforts to bring in Missouri/Boston College/Virginia Tech heist along with the Academies... that is contingent upon a 3year 15M exit fee agreement among existing BE members. Once everyone knows that each one agrees with the 6 new members, it's a done deal. They are expecting it, if approved, by Monday on The View.... this is straight from my friend, Whoopy Goldberg!

Cheers !

TCUdirtbag

I don't understand how or why the BoT didn't knock this out over the weekend.

Announcement was made quickly to ramp down any speculation that Mizzou leaving could imperil the Big 12. And now they get 2 weeks of media coverage about their growth by adding the defending Rose Bowl champions and Gary Patterson. Completely changed the momentum of the Big 12 from negative to positive. The delay is logistical but they went ahead and leaked it out for PR.

Trustees flying in for a meeting has nothing to do with it. This can be done via conference call. Other logistics + above-discussed strategy are the reason for the gap.

Stiff Arm Frog

So you aspire for our team to be as mediocre as possible?

No, I aspire for our team to be part of a conference where we are treated as equals, in revenue and media attention, rather than second-class citizens. And to be a part of a conference that will allow us to compete annually for a BCS spot.

I don't see the Big12 offering us either of those.

HFrog1999

Announcement was made quickly to ramp down any speculation that Mizzou leaving could imperil the Big 12. And now they get 2 weeks of media coverage about their growth by adding the defending Rose Bowl champions and Gary Patterson. Completely changed the momentum of the Big 12 from negative to positive. The delay is logistical but they went ahead and leaked it out for PR.

Trustees flying in for a meeting has nothing to do with it. This can be done via conference call. Other logistics + above-discussed strategy are the reason for the gap.

Of course they could do it by conference call, but why would they want to. This is a big deal. I would think that they would want to come in and be a part of it.

asleep003

No, I aspire for our team to be part of a conference where we are treated as equals, in revenue and media attention, rather than second-class citizens. And to be a part of a conference that will allow us to compete annually for a BCS spot.

Lean in this direction too... and knowing there were stringent exit fee$/agreement$
(3yrs./15M) of BE remaining schools, based on the academies entering the conference too... and especially if UH and Temple(or UCF) were in there too.The BB league is still intriging to some of us. One reason for the UH's inclusion is that it helps legitimize the BE league for us in Texas recruiting too.

Cheers!

FROGDADDY

If we can't earn an BCS bid playing in the Big 12 then we don't deserve one in the first place. I don't want to play in BCS games because we won the easiest conference we could find. And I couldn't care less if UT (or anyone else) gets more money than we do. The money we will get in the Big 12 will be way more than the money in the BE, period. Let's say company A employs 10 salesmen and they all make $75K, and company B employs 10 salesmen with one making $250K and everyone else making $150K. Are you saying you'd rather work at company A?

FROGDADDY

Lean in this direction too... and knowing there were stringent exit fee$/agreement$
(3yrs./15M) of the remaining schools, based on the academies entering the conference too... and especially if UH and Temple(or UCF) were in too.The BB league is still intriging to some of us. the reason for the UH inclusion is that it helps legitimize the BE league for us in Texas recruiting too.

Cheers!

Mind boggling.

BABYFACE

(3yrs./15M) of BE remaining schools, based on the academies entering the conference too... and especially if UH and Temple(or UCF) were in there too.The BB league is still intriging to some of us. One reason for the UH's inclusion is that it helps legitimize the BE league for us in Texas recruiting too.

Cheers!
:wacko:

Planks

I see what you are saying Stiff Arm, but here is the problem: conferences do not operate in a vacuum. Not being in the Big 12 does not protect TCU from the bad things from the Big 12

No, I aspire for our team to be part of a conference where we are treated as equals

Who cares if TCU is "equal" with our conference peers if TCU is then unequal with the rest of the college football world. The Big East is NOT considered "equal" to the other conferences, and its members are not seen as "equals" either.

in revenue

The Big 12 will be agreeing to equal revenue sharing for Tier 1 and Tier 2 rights. And I realize that doesn't stop UT from having and getting all that money from the LHN, but UT is going to have the LHN whether or not we're in the Big 12. Being in the Big East doesn't protect us from that.

And TCU will be making more in the Big 12 than they would have made in the Big East.

and media attention

TCU will receive much more media attention playing in the Big 12 than they would playing in the Big East. It won't be equal to UT, but it will be more. Being in the Big East won't keep UT from getting more media attention the us.

rather than second-class citizens.

The college football world views the Big East as second class citizens. Out of all of the AQ conference, the Big East has the worst bowl tie-ins, the worst attendence, the worst accademics, the worst football product, and the worst TV contract from both a money and exposure standpoint. Being in the Big East would be much more "second class" than being in the Big 12.

And to be a part of a conference that will allow us to compete annually for a BCS spot.

UT and OU may run the conference, but that doesn't mean they will beat us on the field. I think TCU will compete for the conference championship. And the Big 12 isn't going to be losing their automatic bid like the Big East might. So TCU's chances of going to BCS bowls may be better in the Big 12 than in the Big East.

jack the frog

After this Air Force announcement I'm sorta hoping TCU will decide to stay in the Big East. Playing Army, Navy, and Air Force every year would be pretty cool.

I guess I just do not understand your position Stiff Arm Frog. If UT has this thing jobbed where they get more money and more pub somehow so be it. I just do not see where there is room for pride in the decision process. UT cannot prevent us from signing recruits, raising money or winning even if the playing field might be somehow tilted. What is at stake here is nothing less than the ability to be a viable top program at the highest level over the next 25 years if we can maintain this place at the big boy table.

I guess if you are saying that you want to divorce from the BCS structure and desire top dog status among a group of lower tier teams that more accurately participate as student athletes and have lower operating budgets and revenues with reduced recruiting emphasis I can at least understand that. Patterson and oil $$$ will not be here forever so that is the reality of plan B imo.