• The KillerFrogs

A Tip ‘O the Hat to Colin Kaepernick

Zubaz

I remember well watching the game, the roller coaster that it was and how happy I was that Nevada won. And Kaepernick can do whatever he wants, I'm not going to spend a bunch of energy on him one way way or another.

I do find it interesting among some on here though that it has just come to be accepted that if Boise had not lost that game they would have passed TCU in the BCS standings. There was lot of debate about that but it was not a given. Outside of Rod Gilmore, there were quite a few people who continually pointed out that we were the better team, had the stronger schedule and we were the higher ranked team at the time that game took place. That game gave us certainty and I'll always appreciate the role that Kaepernick and his Nevada team played in that but it's an oversimplification of history to say that we would not have made the Rose Bowl on our own.
We may have bad the better team, but I believe the computers all had Boises schedule stronger than ours, especially once Utah lost to Notre Dame. They had already jumped us in the human polls, and we had a razor thin margin in the BCS. I believe it was mathematically certain that them beating a ranked Nevada combined with the drag that New Mexico would have been on our schedule was enough for them to jump us in the BCS.

We may have bad the better team, but I believe the computers all had Boises schedule stronger than ours, especially once Utah lost to Notre Dame. They had already jumped us in the human polls, and we had a razor thin margin in the BCS. I believe it was mathematically certain that them beating a ranked Nevada combined with the drag that New Mexico would have been on our schedule was enough for them to jump us in the BCS.
It is interesting. Utah was ranked one spot behind Nevada at the time that game was played. Who knows what a close game with Nevada would have done to the human polls considering we had destroyed Utah? I would say the odds were probably in their favor but it is not a certainty. I'm glad it turned out the way that it did.

Mean Purple

We were going to the Rose Bowl regardless of that game. Kapasuck is a piece of crap. Laughable when people try and give hi.w credit for what TCU worked for in an effort to cover for his dumb decision that he made to get attention.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
We were going to the Rose Bowl regardless of that game. Kapasuck is a piece of crap. Laughable when people try and give hi.w credit for what TCU worked for in an effort to cover for his dumb decision that he made to get attention.
I think that's revisionist history, re: whether the Rose bowl was a certainty. I definitely remember Boise having a clearer path. Maybe I remember wrong. You may not agree with the man, but I remember that Nevada win as huge.

Double V

I watched that game and I have never cheered so hard for team that I usually care nothing about. I then proceeded to pick up my girlfriend at the time over my head and spin her around when we won! Shortest girl I ever dated at 5' 1" and 105 lbs., so not some amazing feat of strength... but still memorable.
U know the rules!!!

HFrog1999

giphy.gif

dawg

Nope. They had already passed us in both human polls, and our lead in the computers was going to evaporate. Boise was going to end up ranked higher in the BCS, due to beating a ranked Nevada (while we played UNM), their non-con win vs the eventual ACC champion Virginia Tech (our AQ opponent that year was 7-6 Waco Rape Institute), and they beat Oregon St (our common opponent) by a larger margin (13, whereas we beat them by 9). The BCS only had to select the highest ranked non-AQ; had Boise beat Nevada, when we'd have been at the mercy of the BCS bowl committees and probably would have been headed back to the Poinsettia.

I turned off my television in disgust when Boise had a 24-7 halftime lead, resigned and disgusted that our 12-0 Frogs were heading to a garbage bowl (and LRBWHCGMFP had the same feelings), and went to bed. So, I ended the Jinx I had placed on Nevada and placed one on Boise's kicker, then awoke when my phone started blowing up with text messages @ 2am or something.

But the greatest sporting day of our lives was by no means certain, indeed very unlikely, until Kap did his thing.

MTfrog5

Nope. They had already passed us in both human polls, and our lead in the computers was going to evaporate. Boise was going to end up ranked higher in the BCS, due to beating a ranked Nevada (while we played UNM), their non-con win vs the eventual ACC champion Virginia Tech (our AQ opponent that year was 7-6 Waco Rape Institute), and they beat Oregon St (our common opponent) by a larger margin (13, whereas we beat them by 9). The BCS only had to select the highest ranked non-AQ; had Boise beat Nevada, when we'd have been at the mercy of the BCS bowl committees and probably would have been headed back to the Poinsettia.

I turned off my television in disgust when Boise had a 24-7 halftime lead, resigned and disgusted that our 12-0 Frogs were heading to a garbage bowl (and LRBWHCGMFP had the same feelings), and went to bed. So, I ended the Jinx I had placed on Nevada and placed one on Boise's kicker, then awoke when my phone started blowing up with text messages @ 2am or something.

But the greatest sporting day of our lives was by no means certain, indeed very unlikely, until Kap did his thing.
I remember being so mad that nobody brought up the fact the we played both Rodgers brother against Oregon State and they only had to play one and their game was on the smurf turf a couple games into the season. It all worked out in the end

ftwfrog

I love how you added a few misspellings, and omitted necessary punctuation, in order to make yourself sound more like a goober. Kudos.

Planks

Yeah if I remember correctly 2010 was a weird year where the WAC ended up winning most of its head to head games against the MWC in OOC play, so Boise State ended up with the better schedule, especially once the win over VT was considered. The 2010 Boise State team was also really good, I think their margin of victory might have been better than ours.

Another factor to consider was that 2010 Boise State team has so much hype going in to that season. They returned something insane like 21 of 22 starters, so lots of discussions about if they would be the best non-AQ team ever and if they should be considered for the NC game. The Boise VT game might have been the most talked about opening season game ever.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

Kap is a piece of [ Finebaum ]. period

HFrog1999

I appreciated the Wolfpack and CK for helping us get to the Rose Bowl.

I know a little something about corrupt law enforcement. My wife was minding her own business in our backyard when she was shot in the back by reckless County Jailers shooting on private property. Despite the fact that they were shooting across a road and into a city neighborhood the DA refused to prosecute them for any crime. I've had several members and former members of law enforcement tell me they should have been prosecuted and probably weren't because of who they worked for. My wife only survived because she heard the gunshots flying over her head and she got up to try and reach the safety of our house. Nobody gives a darn about her though. No protests, nobody's upset about a woman getting shot in her own backyard and the shooters not facing any charges.

As for CK, I think he was a very mediocre NFL QB who lost his starting job and was about to leave the NFL anyways. I find his kneeling, his pig socks and his communist apparel to be offensive and ridiculous. I don't think he's done anything to help any issue. I think he helped politicize the NFL and created more division. He did succeed in keeping himself somewhat relevant and secured a big payday from Nike though.

DeuceBoogieNights

I appreciated the Wolfpack and CK for helping us get to the Rose Bowl.

I know a little something about corrupt law enforcement. My wife was minding her own business in our backyard when she was shot in the back by reckless County Jailers shooting on private property. Despite the fact that they were shooting across a road and into a city neighborhood the DA refused to prosecute them for any crime. I've had several members and former members of law enforcement tell me they should have been prosecuted and probably weren't because of who they worked for. My wife only survived because she heard the gunshots flying over her head and she got up to try and reach the safety of our house. Nobody gives a darn about her though. No protests, nobody's upset about a woman getting shot in her own backyard and the shooters not facing any charges.

As for CK, I think he was a very mediocre NFL QB who lost his starting job and was about to leave the NFL anyways. I find his kneeling, his pig socks and his communist apparel to be offensive and ridiculous. I don't think he's done anything to help any issue. I think he helped politicize the NFL and created more division. He did succeed in keeping himself somewhat relevant and secured a big payday from Nike though.

Funny cause CK is protesting the exact thing you're mad about. Police getting off free when they commit crimes themselves....i.e shooting someone and not facing any repercussions.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
Eight years ago today, Kaepernick and the Nevada Wolfpack stunned Donkey State

CK is an amazing footnote in the Horned Frog story due to his clutch performance for the ages vs Boise. His notoriety since as a player and an activist just adds to it. Also, he’s not one of us or anything. That game should have never come down to a missed kick for Boise that night. CK could not be stopped. Boise couldn’t kick that year ‘10 or in ‘11 either much to our benefit. The feeling that night when we essentially clinched the Rose Bowl invitation was one of my greatest Frog thrills, and TCU wasn’t even playing.