• The KillerFrogs

Frostie

We can go all night on this, someone dies and for two or three days everyone elevates the work they did, that is what is happening right now. I am just saying no one thinks of Bush when they think of who ended the cold war, it was the late great President Reagan and every book clearly calls him out as the catalyst.Please understand I am not disparaging President Bush, just don't like the fact that folks are trying to elevate his role in the cold war.
Just so my intent is not lost in all this, the late President Bush was a great American, a great President he was not!

Frostie

The whole "nobody thinks of Bush" is exactly why people are calling him underrated, and why not knowing his role is bad history. They should think of him and recognize what he did, and how differently (and infiniteli worse) it could have gone if he wasn't in office.

Reagan did not manage the US involvement in German reunification, that was Bush. That alone could have drastically shifted how the cold war ended. Not recognizing Bush's role in that is, as I said, bad history.
President Reagan designed the road, President Reagan oversaw the construction of the road, Bush cut the ribbon for the opening of the road! End of story!

Frostie

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt."
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt."
That was pretty strong of me to state President Bush didn't do crap, but the majority of what led to the end of the cold war belongs to President Reagan. The original poster stated a lot of things President Bush was responsible for without mentioning all the great work President Reagan did.. This is apparently a hot button topic as is most everything these days.. However, I feel as others do that Reagan played the primary role to Bush's secondary role in these areas of success.

Horned Toad

That was pretty strong of me to state President Bush didn't do crap, but the majority of what led to the end of the cold war belongs to President Reagan. The original poster stated a lot of things President Bush was responsible for without mentioning all the great work President Reagan did.. This is apparently a hot button topic as is most everything these days.. However, I feel as others do that Reagan played the primary role to Bush's secondary role in these areas of success.
I’m the biggest Reagan fanboy in the history of fanboyism. I didn’t mention the great work that Lincoln did before Bush either. I stand by my original post.

TCU_91

A lot if immaturity and ignorance throughout this thread about a great man.

Makes placing several low class posters on the ignore list easy for the first time.

Paint It Purple

There is some bad history going on. I guess some of y’all forgot about Reagan’s speech in Germany as he said, “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.”

Reagan got the ball rolling and Bush finished it. That is what I saw. I am old enough to have lived thru this time and witness it.

Time and Place. I think most on here are not arguing with which president did what. Give this time to honoring a great man that was willing to go to war, and serve his country with honor in more ways than the average American could imagine. There are years and decades to sort out all the history and fact from fiction. GHW Bush loved America and lived his life as patriot. May he rest in peace with God and Barbara at his side.

Frostie

Time and Place. I think most on here are not arguing with which president did what. Give this time to honoring a great man that was willing to go to war, and serve his country with honor in more ways than the average American could imagine. There are years and decades to sort out all the history and fact from fiction. GHW Bush loved America and lived his life as patriot. May he rest in peace with God and Barbara at his side.
Well said, President Bush was a great American. I let emotions take over and fired off several responses I shouldn't have.

BABYFACE

I meant no disrespect to Bush, it was just a few posters here tried to revise in this thread what Reagan did when was brought up. For those more left leaning posters, Reagan is the devil to them. I couldn’t help call BS on something I had witnessed.

frogs9497

I meant no disrespect to Bush, it was just a few posters here tried to revise in this thread what Reagan did when was brought up. For those more left leaning posters, Reagan is the devil to them. I couldn’t help call BS on something I had witnessed.

Left leaning? Some of us are simply acknowledging Bush’s role, not trying to diminish Reagan’s.

BABYFACE

Left leaning? Some of us are simply acknowledging Bush’s role, not trying to diminish Reagan’s.
Not you. A poster brought up Reagan and a few replied like Reagan had nothing to do the Berlin Wall coming down and being part of the start of ending the Cold War. Again, I wasn’t trying to diminish Bush but call out the BS when it was posted about Reagan. And I am not here to say which President was better. Just calling out the BS.

Zubaz

Not you. A poster brought up Reagan and a few replied like Reagan had nothing to do the Berlin Wall coming down and being part of the start of ending the Cold War. Again, I wasn’t trying to diminish Bush but call out the BS when it was posted about Reagan. And I am not here to say which President was better. Just calling out the BS.
I don't see anyone in this thread saying Reagan had nothing to do with the Berlin Wall coming down. The closest I can find is my post that said Reagan "didn't navigate German reunification", by which I mean when the wall fell, it wasn't Reagan managing the diplomatic moving parts in dealing with Germany, the Soviet Union, etc. It was not meant to say that Reagan was not central to that struggle.

I think that might be where the miscommunication comes in. Causing the end of the Cold War (with Reagan was central and Bush wasn't really involved) is a different event than managing the end of the Cold War (which Reagan didn't really do). Where I think Bush gets underrated is people looking at the work he did during that time period and saying "Psh, that was Reagan, he was just in office when the Commies finally threw in the towel". That's not true. As I said, things could have gone a lot differently if the US chose a different diplomatic course during the wall falling, Eastern European revolutions, and ultimate fall of the USSR.

BABYFACE

Random pic I ran across: GHWB giving that fish hell.
581ea0dfa1fc8cd2aa893dca48fe1536.jpeg

Leap Frog

That picture is worth a million words, thanks for posting it.
It's enough to break your heart-- that dog knows what's going on, and he's on guard.
Also, I'm just very glad we had both Reagan and Bush 41-- Reagan said it best
" Do what's right, no matter who gets the credit".