• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

Agree 110% it’s the people above Berhalter that are to blame. I’ve always been a massive USMNT fan but I’m on the verge of losing interest .

You know I’ve been pretty apathetic about them, just started watching a bit more because you and Purp and Dawg started discussing them more.

I can remember counting down the days until a USMNT match. Now, I forget they are on. And for a few years now, but it’s only cementing these days, I have had zero faith in this federation. It’s just a clown show top to bottom. We just finally got to see how much of one out in the open for once with the recent election, hires, and coach search.

tcujsauce

Pertinent to this discussion - I’m fairly certain this has been shared previously, but this is a fantastic read on how German soccer rebuilt itself to become one of the most powerful countries in the world, with talent continually rising up from the youth ranks.

The model is there. Just need enough outcry to make US Soccer give a [ Finebaum ] and do something about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...-team-youth-development-to-world-cup-win-2014

Eight

Pertinent to this discussion - I’m fairly certain this has been shared previously, but this is a fantastic read on how German soccer rebuilt itself to become one of the most powerful countries in the world, with talent continually rising up from the youth ranks.

The model is there. Just need enough outcry to make US Soccer give a [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] and do something about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...-team-youth-development-to-world-cup-win-2014

way-way-way too much money at stake in how soccer is "developed" in this country at this time and too little notice for the general population to even see changes in a manager for the usmnt or how the federation operates let alone a total upheaval of the system as in germany.

Moose Stuff

After want I saw two nights ago it seems to me that it will only be a matter of time before one of our better young players starts saying “no thanks” to the call ups.

Purp

Good read.

“For as righteous as all the fury aimed at Berhalter may be, though, the real culprits behind this and every other American men’s soccer failure over the years are the leaders of the federation.”

“Until people realize that Berhalter is a symptom rather than the disease, soccer in America will never get truly healthy.“

The USMNT Is An Absolute Joke, And It's All U.S. Soccer's Fault
https://deadspin.com/the-usmnt-is-an-absolute-joke-and-its-all-u-s-soccers-1839098747
This is spot on. A federation worth a damn doesn't give us Berhalter. Who knows... maybe a federation worth a damn doesn't have as much disfunction with Jurgen. I do think he brought a lot of that on himself, though.

Purp

After want I saw two nights ago it seems to me that it will only be a matter of time before one of our better young players starts saying “no thanks” to the call ups.
If enough of them do that you may see an overhaul of the federation. If they can't make money off of the top talent they'llose their jobs.

The trouble is I don't think we have the right people in the U.S. to direct the overhaul described by JSauce. We aren't small and monolithic enough as a nation to be quite that agile either.

Eight

give people an idea of what type of money is being made off the "grass roots" in soccer in the us.

a friend sits on a local board and among the matters they oversee is who uses the local parks etc.... director of local soccer club was on the docket to protest that another start up club was now being allowed to hold practices on some unused fields.

director maintained he had been exclusive rights to the use of the community's fields for the purposed of club soccer and the new club should be banned from the use of the fields.

his protest was denied and after the meeting my friend asked another board member why the director was so vehement in his protest. the director takes out a salary of over $150k for running this "non-profit" soccer club and was willing to reduce the number of chances for kids to participate in soccer in the area in order to protect his club.

the rot and corruption isn't just at the top of this pyramid.

Eight

I meant more along the lines of someone like Pulisic deciding he’d rather stay in England than fly across the globe to play nonsense soccer for a nonsense coach.

not to be overly cynical, but would anyone really notice or care in regards to the major media in the us?

would people stop buying tickets?

fox and espn are still gong to broadcast to fill the tv slot.

on a different note, what are the chances chelsea decides to loan pulisic out so he can get some playing time somewhere?

Moose Stuff

not to be overly cynical, but would anyone really notice or care in regards to the major media in the us?

would people stop buying tickets?

fox and espn are still gong to broadcast to fill the tv slot.

on a different note, what are the chances chelsea decides to loan pulisic out so he can get some playing time somewhere?

I feel like SOMEONE would notice but maybe not.

Portland Frog

Liverpool vs MU this weekend. Which is the lesser of two evils lol. Don't know who I want to win this one. The other teams can't catch Liverpool if they keep winning. Yet it's MU they are playing.

Last edited:

Eight

watching the battle of the borussia's and i have always thought it was cool when the kids walk out paired w the players etc..

curious if the kids are too excited to care or if someone gets disappointed when they find out they are paired with a side judge

Chongo94

watching the battle of the borussia's and i have always thought it was cool when the kids walk out paired w the players etc..

curious if the kids are too excited to care or if someone gets disappointed when they find out they are paired with a side judge

Was hoping for a better showing by Monchengladbach.

Latest posts