• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

tcujsauce

Interesting comments in this article. Looks like they look at it as some long term investment. Apparently espn+, the new Disney thing, and Hulu will all bundle starting in November for $12.99, so that may have played a larger part. Still, not a fan of this at all.

ESPN And Bundesliga Sign Six-Year U.S. Television Deal
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...desliga-sign-six-year-us-television-deal/amp/

It absolutely doesn’t make sense based on the comments from Bundesliga President Seifort regarding their main focus being growing the fan base, not the financial implications of a TV deal. Stupid, stupid move in that regard.

tcujsauce

Interesting comments in this article. Looks like they look at it as some long term investment. Apparently espn+, the new Disney thing, and Hulu will all bundle starting in November for $12.99, so that may have played a larger part. Still, not a fan of this at all.

ESPN And Bundesliga Sign Six-Year U.S. Television Deal
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...desliga-sign-six-year-us-television-deal/amp/

I guess I’m just being selfish, because if they stick to “at least 4 games on the main channels”, Bayern will probably be 3 or all 4 of those. However, with Fox, I’m guaranteed to watch just about every Bayern Bundesliga match on either Big Fox, FS1, or FS2. Hope Upper 90 will be able to stream the majority of the matches on ESPN+.

Chongo94

I guess I’m just being selfish, because if they stick to “at least 4 games on the main channels”, Bayern will probably be 3 or all 4 of those. However, with Fox, I’m guaranteed to watch just about every Bayern Bundesliga match on either Big Fox, FS1, or FS2. Hope Upper 90 will be able to stream the majority of the matches on ESPN+.

No, I agree. I mean I’d rather see less Bayern games but I get where you’re coming from. And the games on the main channels are so poorly advertised already, it’s just ridiculous. Had no idea a Serie A game that I would have watched was on until it had about 15 minutes to go. They didn’t and don’t push it at all.

I also thought the comments about having editorial capabilities (if they were in that article, can’t remember) are laughable as well. Fox Sports did a good job I thought with what I assumed were Bundesliga produced shows. Espn+ won’t have near as many I have a feeling or they will just have Espn FC talk more in depth about the Bundesliga maybe.

Really think this is a bad deal. That said, I bet that Hulu-Disney bundle helps all this immensely.

tcujsauce

No, I agree. I mean I’d rather see less Bayern games but I get where you’re coming from. And the games on the main channels are so poorly advertised already, it’s just ridiculous. Had no idea a Serie A game that I would have watched was on until it had about 15 minutes to go. They didn’t and don’t push it at all.

I also thought the comments about having editorial capabilities (if they were in that article, can’t remember) are laughable as well. Fox Sports did a good job I thought with what I assumed were Bundesliga produced shows. Espn+ won’t have near as many I have a feeling or they will just have Espn FC talk more in depth about the Bundesliga maybe.

Really think this is a bad deal. That said, I bet that Hulu-Disney bundle helps all this immensely.

I guess I’m not seeing why that’s a bonus. Are they hoping that someone who wanted to watch an episode of some Hulu show will accidentally stumble onto the Schalke-Werder match and become big Bundesliga fans? They are limiting access to people who are willing to pay $13/month to view their product. It’s an incredibly foolish move on their part and, on the face, I can’t see any value in it whatsoever.

dawg

Always have. At least ManU is just as laughable as Arsenal.

Indeed. A dreadful match lightened only by two classy goals. Both of these clubs are miles from contention.

Is Disney giving a price break if people bundle Disney+ and ESPN+? Even if, 2m (ESPN+ latest subscriber figures) seems way less than people with access to Fox, FS1&2. I’m sure Bundesliga took the highest offer, but this doesn’t seem like it in any way will increase their exposure in the States. As mentioned, Fox did a good job advertising and covering it, but I guess money talks.

Last edited:

Chongo94

Indeed. A dreadful match lightened only by two classy goals. Both of these clubs are miles from contention.

Is Disney giving a price break if people bundle Disney+ and ESPN+? Even if, 2m (ESPN+ latest subscriber figures) seems way less than people with access to Fox, FS1&2. I’m sure Bundesliga took the highest offer, but this doesn’t seem like it in any way will increase their exposure in the States. As mentioned, Fox did a good job advertising and covering it. But money talks, I guess.

Well you get all three for $13, so I guess so? Because isn’t Hulu alone $12 or so?

Chongo94

I guess I’m not seeing why that’s a bonus. Are they hoping that someone who wanted to watch an episode of some Hulu show will accidentally stumble onto the Schalke-Werder match and become big Bundesliga fans? They are limiting access to people who are willing to pay $13/month to view their product. It’s an incredibly foolish move on their part and, on the face, I can’t see any value in it whatsoever.

That’s how I was looking at it. I’m assuming they will be counting all the bundled subscribers as actual espn+ subscribers and thus for pr/media releases, Bundesliga fans or potential fans, which will be sorely disingenuous.

mcdaddy

Is Disney giving a price break if people bundle Disney+ and ESPN+? Even if, 2m (ESPN+ latest subscriber figures) seems way less than people with access to Fox, FS1&2. I’m sure Bundesliga took the highest offer, but this doesn’t seem like it in any way will increase their exposure in the States. As mentioned, Fox did a good job advertising and covering it. But money talks, I guess.
Yes

Chongo94

Y’all best check out that Real Madrid score....at the Bernabéu too...

Edit: never mind, I jinxed it.

Last edited:

dawg

@dawg Wehner strikes again after Gnabry’s performance today and of late.

This is a perfect case of why we need a “sad” button. I didn’t see the match but saw the stat line...that kid is definitely one that got away and is haunting us. Another damning indictment of the late-Wenger transfer policy. Also shows the quality of the coaching he’s gotten at Bayern.

Last edited:

tcujsauce

This is a perfect case of why we need a “sad” button. I didn’t see the match but saw the stat line...that kid is definitely one that got away and is haunting us. Another damning indictment of the late-Wenger transfer policy. Also shows the quality of the coaching he’s gotten at Bayern.

Highlights.

Gnabry was outstanding, but so was basically all of Bayern save the back 4 at times. Midfield was great, attacking was deadly. Serge’s hat trick was set up by a freaking sniper pass by Thiago from deep in Bayern’s own half. Was a fairly messy first half, but that second half was beautiful. Yes, it’s an out of form Tottenham. But still, nice wake up call to remind Europe that if Bayern is on form, they ain’t frontin’ no games.

Chongo94

Highlights.

Gnabry was outstanding, but so was basically all of Bayern save the back 4 at times. Midfield was great, attacking was deadly. Serge’s hat trick was set up by a freaking sniper pass by Thiago from deep in Bayern’s own half. Was a fairly messy first half, but that second half was beautiful. Yes, it’s an out of form Tottenham. But still, nice wake up call to remind Europe that if Bayern is on form, they ain’t frontin’ no games.

Also illustrates, in my opinion, how unwarranted the criticism of Kovac has been...he’s a good coach, they just need to be a bit more consistent and have a bit more patience.

tcujsauce

Also illustrates, in my opinion, how unwarranted the criticism of Kovac has been...he’s a good coach, they just need to be a bit more consistent and have a bit more patience.

He was in a tough spot last year. Huge step up from Eintracht, tons of expectations, had a ton of people expecting failure from day one saying he wasn’t “big enough for Bayern” (ridiculous). Add to that Bayern going through transition with Robbery/Rafinha stepping away, Boa and Müller aging, club in between being too old and just slightly too young. He’s a really solid coach and I think we’re seeing the fruits of that now.

Add to that the great job the board did in the transfer window. Lot so of people were angsty about it since Sané didn’t happen (new story came out that they’re rebooting that campaign this winter window), but Hernandez/Pavard/Coutinho/Perisic have been absolutely lights out.