• The KillerFrogs

2023-2023 CFB Transfer Portal

FrogCop19

Before the portal, there were a few players who trickled in and hardly ever did they make an immediate impact because they usually had to wait out a year to be eligible to play. Now in the portal era so many players are available that if you want to enhance your program you have to have a plan and cash. Still we saw what A$M did and also Colorado. It does not always produce results right a way or at all to go on spending sprees in the portal.

Can you buy enough to compete with Ga? No but um.. we did compete last year with Michigan. Oh and BTW they had a fairly good team this year. So it is not exactly impossible to compete on that level.

I suppose that a TCU could win it all. I guess you need some luck with what you do but I think that an expanded play off will level the field some too because there will always be an upset or two.

So I do not see it as hopeless just not always probable each season.
I'd like to think so, PC. However, given the results from last year do you think a non-blueblood school (think us, Cincy, Utah) will ever be given a shot again? I know we performed WELL above what anyone but us thought capable of last year against Blue Bevo, but what do you think the chances that they let us in again considering the epic beatdown we got in the NC?

I hate that I even had to type that last sentence, but it's just a random thought I'm throwing out. Will there be another "little guy" let in? What do y'all think the 12-team playoffs will do for them? Will that make it more or less likely a Cinderella team makes it to the NC again?

06DallasFrog

I'd like to think so, PC. However, given the results from last year do you think a non-blueblood school (think us, Cincy, Utah) will ever be given a shot again? I know we performed WELL above what anyone but us thought capable of last year against Blue Bevo, but what do you think the chances that they let us in again considering the epic beatdown we got in the NC?

I hate that I even had to type that last sentence, but it's just a random thought I'm throwing out. Will there be another "little guy" let in? What do y'all think the 12-team playoffs will do for them? Will that make it more or less likely a Cinderella team makes it to the NC again?
If the new system was in place starting with our first Fiesta Bowl, TCU would have 4, maybe 5 visits to the playoff. Then it would be up to us to prove we belong in the NCG. It's better overall. And, it is a better system to eliminate teams that have a claim, but aren't deserving. Everyone gets to prove it on the field. Well except for the 13th, and 14th and... ranked teams.

Wexahu

Before the portal, there were a few players who trickled in and hardly ever did they make an immediate impact because they usually had to wait out a year to be eligible to play. Now in the portal era so many players are available that if you want to enhance your program you have to have a plan and cash. Still we saw what A$M did and also Colorado. It does not always produce results right a way or at all to go on spending sprees in the portal.

Can you buy enough to compete with Ga? No but um.. we did compete last year with Michigan. Oh and BTW they had a fairly good team this year. So it is not exactly impossible to compete on that level.

I suppose that a TCU could win it all. I guess you need some luck with what you do but I think that an expanded play off will level the field some too because there will always be an upset or two.

So I do not see it as hopeless just not always probable each season.
Nope, not in my opinion. Only going to make it harder for schools like TCU to win a NC. I don't think there will be many big upsets at all. I bet you'll see some stupid high point spreads and the favorites will win a very high percentage of the games.

Wexahu

Of course they will be given a shot, there are going to be 12 teams in every year. There will be at minimum two "TCU's" or "Utah's" in the field every single year.

And then they'll have go out and win 4 games in a row against teams that are often going to be better, in some cases a lot better, and they are going to have to win at least one of those games on the road.

Good luck.

Palliative Care

First will there be one or two B12 teams in the playoff? Yes one for sure and probably two. What happened last year is that we beat Michigan. They may have given us a bad time about Georgia but WE BEAT Michigan.
That says it all. Upsets do happen and it gives the format credibility every time it happens. Blue Bloods hate it but the general public eats it up.

Wexahu

If the new system was in place starting with our first Fiesta Bowl, TCU would have 4, maybe 5 visits to the playoff. Then it would be up to us to prove we belong in the NCG. It's better overall. And, it is a better system to eliminate teams that have a claim, but aren't deserving. Everyone gets to prove it on the field. Well except for the 13th, and 14th and... ranked teams.
So you thought it was unfortunate that Georgia and Ohio State didn't get a chance to "prove it on the field" this year?

I didn't. There are 6-7 deeeep pocketed blue bloods that are going to be in the playoff basically every year, by default almost, because with the lack of parity in the game, they only play about 3-4 losable games all year. And then everyone is going to have to go through those teams to win it all. Virtually impossible for an outsider to actually win the thing.

Wexahu

First will there be one or two B12 teams in the playoff? Yes one for sure and probably two. What happened last year is that we beat Michigan. They may have given us a bad time about Georgia but WE BEAT Michigan.
That says it all. Upsets do happen and it gives the format credibility every time it happens. Blue Bloods hate it but the general public eats it up.
Big upsets aren't going to happen near as much as you apparently think they will. This isn't basketball.

And I don't think blue bloods hate it at all. I think the blue bloods LOVE the expanded playoffs. It creates an incredibly easy path for the Ohio States, Michigans, Alabamas and Georgias.

06DallasFrog

So you thought it was unfortunate that Georgia and Ohio State didn't get a chance to "prove it on the field" this year?

I didn't. There are 6-7 deeeep pocketed blue bloods that are going to be in the playoff basically every year, by default almost, because with the lack of parity in the game, they only play about 3-4 losable games all year. And then everyone is going to have to go through those teams to win it all. Virtually impossible for an outsider to actually win the thing.
I think the best teams should have a chance to prove it on the field, and it shouldn't be decided in a conference room. Having said that, the scenario you described is very likely to play out just that way. And maybe it ruins it even more so. NIL and the portal are the problem. Not the new playoff concept. In my mind, the portal will spread talent more evenly over teams that have consistent potential to make the playoff, which hopefully helps whatever becomes the traditional top 20 teams all be in the mix with whatever outsider makes it that year.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA

However unlikely, virtually impossible is better than mathematically impossible, which is what the Tulane and Liberty type teams have now. And apparently the ACC

But seriously, being in the playoffs is step one to winning it, so for true outsiders (and not P4 occasional interlopers such as us) the new model will be a stellar improvement

As far as us interlopers, well, if the second place team in the B12 can occasionally get a bottom-ish seed, then our access improves too. As it currently stands, that team gets to kick rocks as far as the current CFP scenario. Btw to answer a question, much as I hate GA, would have been a different playoffs with them in place of UT I think.

Hemingway

Big upsets aren't going to happen near as much as you apparently think they will. This isn't basketball.

And I don't think blue bloods hate it at all. I think the blue bloods LOVE the expanded playoffs. It creates an incredibly easy path for the Ohio States, Michigans, Alabamas and Georgias.
Here’s what I hate about the playoffs… the Officials that are assigned to your game are most likely from a conference that has an interest adverse to the conference you’re representing. i.e…. The ACC refs hosed us in the championship game. The ACC and B12 are competing leagues. I saw one of them even congratulate a couple of GA players during the game. And it’s going to happen over and over again.

Frogfam4

If TCU wins the Big 12 or has 10/11 wins they get into the 12 team playoff. Once they are in who knows what could happen. Once they are in they have to win. The committee has no say after that. Bottom line is they have to compete for Big 12 championships to get into the12 teamer.

FrogCop19

If TCU wins the Big 12 or has 10/11 wins they get into the 12 team playoff. Once they are in who knows what could happen. Once they are in they have to win. The committee has no say after that. Bottom line is they have to compete for Big 12 championships to get into the12 teamer.
This is a great point. When typing that, I had forgotten about the change to the playoff scene. Thank you for the reminder. And the above statements regarding how the 'little guys' are going to have to run a gauntlet to win it all require some deeper thought, as well.

An-Cap Frog

The 12 team playoffs will be fun to watch. Bowl games for teams 13-25 will probably fall victim to opt-outs, NFL declarations, and transfer portal declarations and will suck. The rest of the bowls that pit Ohio versus SDSU and the such will be good.

Zubaz

This is where I am at. People can witch about stacked teams or whatever, but what's more likely:
1) A team that is in the playoffs wins 3-4 games as an underdog in a row to win a national title?
2) A team outside of the playoffs wins the national title?

Because #2 is what we have right now, with teams both inside and outside the Power 5 being left out of any opportunity to play for a title despite going undefeated. Under the BCS it was even worse, with an undefeated team left out of the BCS title game AND non Power teams having absolutely zero shot to ever win a title.

I understand the argument that an extended playoff favors the more stacked teams, but the idea that it's worse than the system that literally gives anyone outside of major conferences a 0.00000000% chance to win the national title doesn't really make sense. At least this way no team has any what-if's about playing the game on the field.

Wexahu

This is where I am at. People can witch about stacked teams or whatever, but what's more likely:
1) A team that is in the playoffs wins 3-4 games as an underdog in a row to win a national title?
2) A team outside of the playoffs wins the national title?

Because #2 is what we have right now, with teams both inside and outside the Power 5 being left out of any opportunity to play for a title despite going undefeated. Under the BCS it was even worse, with an undefeated team left out of the BCS title game AND non Power teams having absolutely zero shot to ever win a title.

I understand the argument that an extended playoff favors the more stacked teams, but the idea that it's worse than the system that literally gives anyone outside of major conferences a 0.00000000% chance to win the national title doesn't really make sense. At least this way no team has any what-if's about playing the game on the field.
I think TCU has/had a MUCH better chance to win a National Championship under the current system (or the BCS system for that matter) than they will in the new 12-team format.

With over 130 teams (ok, 60+ if you don't want to count the non P-4 teams) that hardly ever play each other, you're never going to entirely "settle in on the field". There will always be a very large amount of subjectivity. It's settled on the field plenty if you just consider the regular season (the best regular season in sports BY FAR up until now btw) one big playoff. Michigan played Ohio State to determine who made the playoffs.......settled on the field, etc etc etc.

You had that extremely rare case this year where FSU didn't make it, I'd call that an extreme oddity and no need to completely upend the system because of that. There's no rule that says you have to have some big drawn out, multi-team playoff in order to settle the champion on the field, that's mostly a TV-driven concept anyway.

Yeah, and people forget the "nature abhors a vacuum" dogma. With a 14 team league, most years a couple teams in the Big 12 are going to have 10+ wins and most likely in the playoff. Then anything can happen in the playoff. 12 team playoff will definitely help the Big 12, IMO. A 4 team playoff would have been a post season death knell in a Big 2 world. Those 4 slots would almost result in an SEC/Big 10 challenge.

Zubaz

I think TCU has/had a MUCH better chance to win a National Championship under the current system (or the BCS system for that matter) than they will in the new 12-team format.
TCU had a 0% chance of winning the national title under the BCS when we were in the WAC, Conference USA, or MWC. We don't even need to debate that, we saw it objectively in 2009 and 2010. Utah saw it in 2004 and 2008. Boise saw it in 2006, 2008, & 2009. ZERO. None. With the CFP it took an exceptionally rare set of circumstances and a multi-year process, to get a single G5 team in to the playoff, so it was only slightly better. Any system that at least gives an undefeated team a chance is objectively superior to one that 99 times out of 100 excludes them entirely.
With over 130 teams (ok, 60+ if you don't want to count the non P-4 teams) that hardly ever play each other, you're never going to entirely "settle in on the field". There will always be a very large amount of subjectivity. It's settled on the field plenty if you just consider the regular season (the best regular season in sports BY FAR up until now btw) one big playoff. Michigan played Ohio State to determine who made the playoffs.......settled on the field, etc etc etc.
First of all, we just saw Texas and Alabama played a game whose result was ultimately meaningless, because both the winner and the loser of the game got in over an undefeated team. So we know the results of the regular season is not as sacrosanct as you suggest.

Second, the current system is one where an undefeated team, both inside and outside the power conferences, can be excluded from the national title race. It happened in the BCS (Auburn), it happened in the 4 team playoff (Florida State). While it's theoretically possible that will happen to a G5 team in the 12 team playoff (1 undefeated G5 champion is guaranteed to be in, a second one could theoretically be excluded), it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to happen to a Power 5 team now. That's a step in the right direction.

So yes, a 12 team playoff means every single Power Conference team and 99% of G5 teams have a chance to "settle it on the field", whereas right now they do not.