• The KillerFrogs

2022 Recruiting Thread

Eight

If that's what all the consternation is about then I don't think it's a huge deal personally. I'd love to have them both but it's 2 guys.

agreed, i really like golden, but if i had to have one of the two williams and if i had to pair a guy to go with williams the frogs "needed" it would be moses.

this process has just started, bit to go this recruiting season, and as been said multiple times there is now more than one way to build a roster

FrogBall09

losing silent commitments? patience, as pointed out above the staff has only been working for a couple of weeks and the frogs just added a dc a short time ago

they do need to find a bigger body or three inside, but there are other ways than high school kids to fill that need such as the portal or juco ranks. a few years back the frogs and iowa state were both after roy lima late in recruiting, he ended up in ames and did good things inside for them.

there is going to be a great deal of shifting and sorting on the defensive side of the ball before next fall
Yes - Williams was supposed to be silent but it got out - and of course everyone is going to say the staff ok'd it now but who really knows.

The only problem with all the emphasis on the portal idea - is that it ignores the fact that many big programs are down in the number of signings and all going to be chasing experienced players in the portal.

One thing Dykes has pointed out in interviews with him while at SMU was that his team put a focus on hit early and gambled when others were still trying to figure out how it would work or waiting to see.

That won't be true this year - everyone besides Dabo seems to be not only counting on the portal but also evidently focusing a ton of staff attention to it given the 1000 players that are in it.

So we are going to be in just as much of a dog fight for the guys we want in the portal as we have been for HS recruits.

And its not like a ton of starting DL's will be in the portal - most of the guys in it now are guys that didn't get much playing time and are looking for a new spot - we better have a really good sales pitch and drink some coffee for the few guys in the portal that fit what we need.

FrogBall09

Well for starters the way they do their rankings valuing quantity over quality is total [ #2020 ]. And for some perspective here are some other teams that made coaching changes this year….Virginia #72/10 commits, Florida #76/8 commits, Miami #78/6 commits, Washington #85/6 commits, USC #105/4 commits. Educate yourself.
so that does not make it better - now we get to fight Florida, Miami, USC, Washington and several other schools for guys in the portal? I get the rankings are biased toward larger classes and the guys we have coming in have a high average - but in the end if you don't get the holes you needed filled then who cares what your average is - and we don't seem to have anyone filling some big holes at the moment especially given who has entered the portal lately.

My hope is that this year a lot less than 80-90% of ranked players signs in early and a bunch hold out for February - otherwise it is hard to see how some teams will fill the spots without just getting bodies at some level.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
so that does not make it better - now we get to fight Florida, Miami, USC, Washington and several other schools for guys in the portal? I get the rankings are biased toward larger classes and the guys we have coming in have a high average - but in the end if you don't get the holes you needed filled then who cares what your average is - and we don't seem to have anyone filling some big holes at the moment especially given who has entered the portal lately.
Probably should just shut down the program. It’s outrageous that this coaching staff hasn’t fixed everything in 3 weeks. Do we still have Deion’s contact info?

Moose Stuff

My hope is that this year a lot less than 80-90% of ranked players signs in early and a bunch hold out for February - otherwise it is hard to see how some teams will fill the spots without just getting bodies at some level.
I’m losing interest in changing the minds of the pessimists. View it however you want to.

FrogBall09

Probably should just shut down the program. It’s outrageous that this coaching staff hasn’t fixed everything in 3 weeks. Do we still have Deion’s contact info?
stupid reply - I realize anyone who is not on board with your "everything is going to be fine" perspective is wrong.

last year 90% of the guys with a ranking we would consider worth pursuing signed on this day - and what was left in February always had a story behind why which made you wonder.

So unless something changes - we are now focused on filling spots purely from the portal and again, my perspective is it will be a lot harder this year than it was last year and before - because everyone is getting better at it and more major programs have holes to fill also.

TCURiggs

Golden and Williams both told the staff they were coming to TCU (confirmed by other mods beyond JC) and then changed their mind. Not much JC can do about that.

Agreed. That’s what I meant by “his sources are misled at times.”

All of that ship has just made me a lot less interested in recruiting, and really CFB in general, unfortunately. My favorite sport ain’t what it used to be.

Eight

stupid reply - I realize anyone who is not on board with your "everything is going to be fine" perspective is wrong.

last year 90% of the guys with a ranking we would consider worth pursuing signed on this day - and what was left in February always had a story behind why which made you wonder.

So unless something changes - we are now focused on filling spots purely from the portal and again, my perspective is it will be a lot harder this year than it was last year and before - because everyone is getting better at it and more major programs have holes to fill also.

so exactly what should the staff do then because based upon your perspective in the immortal words of turkish the frogs are proper scheissed

Moose Stuff

Agreed. That’s what I meant by “his sources are misled at times.”

All of that ship has just made me a lot less interested in recruiting, and really CFB in general, unfortunately. My favorite sport ain’t what it used to be.
Sure. He’s only as good as the people feeding him the information. I’ll be curious to see how/if that changes with the new staff.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

Did I say everything is going to be fine? There is a middle round between everything sucks and everything is fine. We are in the middle. You just have some wild ass expectation that a new staff could put together a great recruiting class in three weeks. Pretty much never happens. A little research would show you that. It will work out. If not, what are you going to do about it? Can’t force kids to sign.

Eight

Also worth noting this is the one kid so far that stuck with us through the coaching change. One other one that’s still possible.

will be interesting to see how the staff uses him switching from that double slot offense where he is basically running sweeps, reverses and wheel routes to sonny's offense, but you can't teach the speed and open field ability his has with the ball in his hands