• The KillerFrogs

2021 Frog Baseball (General)

flyfishingfrog

So back to a baseball convo and this Wade vs Nunez lead off discussion, I’d compare Wade in his Soph year w Nunez this year and there’s not that great of a differential at this point:

Wade (across 210ish ABs) hit at a .286 clip w an OBP/OPS of .434/.793 w 57 walks to 41 Ks.

Nunez (across 100ish ABs) is hitting at a .238 clip w an OBP/OPS of .384/.691 w 23/26 walk to K ratio.
So as a freshman, Nunez is at least in the range of arguably the greatest lead off guy in the recent TCU history for their first seasons playing full time. The trick will be if Nunez can progress similar to how Wade did next season.
Well first 50 pts is a lot

and Nunez is striking out more than he walks at the moment

and second Austen sat his freshman year except in occasional spots to get experience

if Others are better now, why wouldn’t we do the same with Nunez?

hometown frog

Well first 50 pts is a lot

and Nunez is striking out more than he walks at the moment

and second Austen sat his freshman year except in occasional spots to get experience

if Others are better now, why wouldn’t we do the same with Nunez?

50 points is 5 hits for Nunez right now. I’m just not benching him right now for 5 extra hits or 4 less Ks compared to Wade. I still think Nunez is our best lead off hitter on the roster.
Now I guess if he goes 1fer the weekend at Tech let’s discuss.

flyfishingfrog

50 points is 5 hits for Nunez right now. I’m just not benching him right now for 5 extra hits or 4 less Ks compared to Wade. I still think Nunez is our best lead off hitter on the roster.
Now I guess if he goes 1fer the weekend at Tech let’s discuss.
You aren’t benching him for Wade his sophomore year - you would be benching him to keep Porters bat in the lineup or Boyers or Sikes or get Shep to DH by putting Wolfe in the outfield

Every one of those guys is out hitting him by 90 pts and a couple by 150

and slugging wise it’s even worse

Pharm Frog

Pfizer wasn't part of operation warp speed.

Yes they were. Absolutely they were. Every vaccine manufacturer with a commercially available vaccine and those with vaccines coming in the near future would be no closer than three years away from a vaccine without Warp Speed. Pfizer may not have taken ALL the benefits of Warp Speed but their vaccine was birthed and delivered by Warp Speed. To suggest otherwise is to reveal complete ignorance of the history of drug and vaccine development.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

Yes they were. Absolutely they were. Every vaccine manufacturer with a commercially available vaccine and those with vaccines coming in the near future would be no closer than three years away from a vaccine without Warp Speed. Pfizer may not have taken ALL the benefits of Warp Speed but their vaccine was birthed and delivered by Warp Speed. To suggest otherwise is to reveal complete ignorance of the history or drug and vaccine development.
Oh cmon - you mean they don’t usually spend years developing a new product and hundreds of millions on testing just for fun?

Pharm Frog

Oh cmon - you mean they don’t usually spend years developing a new product and hundreds of millions on testing just for fun?

No. The fun part is watching your patent expiry date move closer and closer and you’re no closer to market approval than you were two years earlier. Now THAT’S fun!

hiphopfroggy

Yes they were. Absolutely they were. Every vaccine manufacturer with a commercially available vaccine and those with vaccines coming in the near future would be no closer than three years away from a vaccine without Warp Speed. Pfizer may not have taken ALL the benefits of Warp Speed but their vaccine was birthed and delivered by Warp Speed. To suggest otherwise is to reveal complete ignorance of the history of drug and vaccine development.

“We were never part of the Warp Speed. We have never taken any money from the U.S. government, or from anyone,” Kathrin Jansen, the company’s vice president for vaccine research, told the Times.

https://news.yahoo.com/so-is-pfizer...-well-its-a-little-complicated-175429888.html

Then I guess you are claiming the VP of Pfizer vaccine research is completely ignorant about her job. Sorry I I choose to believe her and not you.

Pfizer didn't get any money from the Trump administration until after they had already developed and received FDA approval of their vaccine. And of course if Pfizer developed a vaccine and Trump didn't then get that vaccine to Americans it would have been a devastatingly horrible decision all around. It's not like Pfizer wouldn't have been able to sell it to other countries.

So yea, operation warp speed didn't contribute whatsoever to the Pfizer vaccine.

Also, Biden has been much more successful at the actual distribution of all the vaccines. Trump was pretty bad at distribution logistically.

Pharm Frog

“We were never part of the Warp Speed. We have never taken any money from the U.S. government, or from anyone,” Kathrin Jansen, the company’s vice president for vaccine research, told the Times.

https://news.yahoo.com/so-is-pfizer...-well-its-a-little-complicated-175429888.html

Then I guess you are claiming the VP of Pfizer vaccine research is completely ignorant about her job. Sorry I I choose to believe her and not you.

Pfizer didn't get any money from the Trump administration until after they had already developed and received FDA approval of their vaccine. And of course if Pfizer developed a vaccine and Trump didn't then get that vaccine to Americans it would have been a devastatingly horrible decision all around. It's not like Pfizer wouldn't have been able to sell it to other countries.

So yea, operation warp speed didn't contribute whatsoever to the Pfizer vaccine.

Also, Biden has been much more successful at the actual distribution of all the vaccines. Trump was pretty bad at distribution logistically.

You conveniently leave out the very next sentence from The Times article which said:

“On Monday, a spokeswoman for Pfizer clarified that the company is part of Operation Warp Speed as a supplier of a potential coronavirus vaccine.”

Maybe you should try reading the full article and not cherry-pick what you want to fit your narrative. It is true that Pfizer didn’t “take money” for research and manufacturing purposes mainly because it didn’t need it. But prior to Ms Vaccine VP’s quote...this little nugget appears:

“In July, Pfizer got a $1.95 billion deal with the government’s Operation Warp Speed, the multiagency effort to rush a vaccine to market, to deliver 100 million doses of the vaccine. The arrangement is an advance-purchase agreement, meaning that the company won’t get paid until they deliver the vaccines.”

And FWIW — the Frogs just swept OU without any assistance from the Harris-Biden administration.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

You conveniently leave out the very next sentence from The Times article which said:

“On Monday, a spokeswoman for Pfizer clarified that the company is part of Operation Warp Speed as a supplier of a potential coronavirus vaccine.”

Maybe you should try reading the full article and not cherry-pick what you want to fit your narrative. It is true that Pfizer didn’t “take money” for research and manufacturing purposes mainly because it didn’t need it. But prior to Ms Vaccine VP’s quote...this little nugget appears:

“In July, Pfizer got a $1.95 billion deal with the government’s Operation Warp Speed, the multiagency effort to rush a vaccine to market, to deliver 100 million doses of the vaccine. The arrangement is an advance-purchase agreement, meaning that the company won’t get paid until they deliver the vaccines.”

And FWIW — the Frogs just swept OU without any assistance from the Harris-Biden administration.

Yay, my favorite game again... I feel like it's either hip hop or tyler. Wait.... I forgot about finance, it could be finance too. Such a tough call. Finance doesn't strike me as a baseball fan and I feel like tyler probably accidentally got too close to a food delivery person, caught COVID, and died instantly.... so I'm going with hip hop.

flyfishingfrog

Yay, my favorite game again... I feel like it's either hip hop or tyler. Wait.... I forgot about finance, it could be finance too. Such a tough call. Finance doesn't strike me as a baseball fan and I feel like tyler probably accidentally got too close to a food delivery person, caught COVID, and died instantly.... so I'm going with hip hop.
your forgot Law as an option also - but guessing you are correct on your analysis.....Agenda

On a side note - Meador starting today - you think we are doing Johnny Allstaff to get some more looks at guys or pushing Meador to go deep if he can given that Tarleton should not be a major threat to smoke us?

Pharm Frog

your forgot Law as an option also - but guessing you are correct on your analysis.....Agenda

On a side note - Meador starting today - you think we are doing Johnny Allstaff to get some more looks at guys or pushing Meador to go deep if he can given that Tarleton should not be a major threat to smoke us?

I don’t know but Dad and I will be there. Looking forward to seeing a couple of kids my son played with over the years. I’m thinking we may see him try to stretch out for some decent amount of innings BUT I’m hoping we get an early lead and then give some work to Perez at some point. Maybe even Wright and Ridings too. Can’t recall when River last tossed.

Moose Stuff

Given what our pen is capable of (in a bad way) if Meador is throwing well I'd let him go as long as he can.

GoFrog Yourself

You aren’t benching him for Wade his sophomore year - you would be benching him to keep Porters bat in the lineup or Boyers or Sikes or get Shep to DH by putting Wolfe in the outfield

Every one of those guys is out hitting him by 90 pts and a couple by 150

and slugging wise it’s even worse

Just to cherry pick one part of your comment, I hope we don’t see Wolfe in the outfield the rest of the year. He should stay at DH as long as he’s hitting well, but he is maybe our 6th best outfielder at the moment.

If Shep’s arm heals I hope we can put him at 3rd and take Gray/Sacco out but from what I’ve heard I wouldn’t hold your breath.

flyfishingfrog

Just to cherry pick one part of your comment, I hope we don’t see Wolfe in the outfield the rest of the year. He should stay at DH as long as he’s hitting well, but he is maybe our 6th best outfielder at the moment.

If Shep’s arm heals I hope we can put him at 3rd and take Gray/Sacco out but from what I’ve heard I wouldn’t hold your breath.
Shep isn’t playing D anytime soon - so he either DHs or we don’t get his bat at all

But regardless keeping Nunez in means that we consider his glove and range so much better than any of the alternatives- we are willing to give up 100-150 points in batting average to make it happen

not sure if I believe that but then I am not the coach

Last edited:

tcudoc

For you whores searching for likes, I’m liking all baseball related posts in this thread from now on until further notice.
4d44b65f093dde876a6611ed0b272a08.gif