• The KillerFrogs

2021-2022 Transfer Portal Thread

Palliative Care

All types here. Some are career backups who think that a new school could give them a chance to play. Those are the ones I hope can find a team with a need.

hiphopfroggy

hopefully TCU can put ZE's NIL $$ towards a good portal pickup or two, now that TCU has the cap space. Or did ZE run off with a good portion of TCU NIL $$$? Looks like TCU is about to miss out on Casey Thompson too? Really need to land him or another top QB transfer, Caleb Williams would be nice.

Nick Danger

SIAP. Some info on how the Aggies (and probably others) are working the NIL deal:

I'm not sure I fully understand this setup!? So, are these donors on the hook for $25 million for every member of this class (2022), including the low 4's and 3 stars, or just the coaching staff's selected "stars"? And will they be on the hook for an additional $25 million for next years class? After four years of that kind of spending, that would be $100 million! But what happens if these Richie Rich moneybags become disenchanted with their "investment" if their stars/independent PR contractors get hurt, become Academically ineligible, get relegated to 3rd string, or the team, as a whole, under-performs vs Donor expectations? They seem to be paying merely for Attendance, not Performance.

Last edited:

Prime BEEF

I'm not sure I fully understand this setup!? So, are these donors on the hook for $25 million for every member of this class (2022), or just the selected "stars"? And will they be on the hook for an additional $25 million for next years class? After four years of that kind of spending, that would be $100 million! But what happens if these Richie Rich moneybags become disenchanted with their "investment" if their stars get hurt, get related to 3rd string, or the team, as a whole, under-performs vs expectations? They seem to be paying merely for Attendance, not Performance.
Lots of good questions. All of which could make this a spectacular failure to watch

Moose Stuff

Lots of good questions. All of which could make this a spectacular failure to watch
Agreed. Good questions. Most rich people got rich for a good reason and don’t typically indulge in giving away money for no ROI. Will be curious how willing some of these people are to continue giving. Also why it’s in these school’s best interests to get a large enough pool of money together that it is self sustaining and doesn’t require continued massive donations.

Palliative Care

How do you pay this much to incoming freshman and not pay all your other present player much the same? If you did or do there is a whole lot more money on the table. If I am one of these present players and I don't get as much money as the these new kids or as much as I think I should do I portal dive? I think A&M may think they won the lotto but they may find themselves losing depth.

froginmn

Agreed. Good questions. Most rich people got rich for a good reason and don’t typically indulge in giving away money for no ROI. Will be curious how willing some of these people are to continue giving. Also why it’s in these school’s best interests to get a large enough pool of money together that it is self sustaining and doesn’t require continued massive donations.
I think this will be a very brief honeymoon period. Personally I prefer to give money to the school than directly to a player. First, it's potentially tax deductible (although there have been recent changes). Second, you at least have the feeling that the school has some responsibility to spend it wisely and fairly.

Money for NIL seems like a REALLY shaky proposition and when someone can directly see that money squandered (imagine the player you pay using the money to fly to Vegas and get arrested) I believe there will be quick corrections.

I assume that money that will go to NIL will directly reduce the money given to the school. That will create an interesting dynamic.

Big Frog II

There may be a boat load of people throwing money in the pot for the NIL deals, but how long before they get tired of this? How long before the players abuse the money. If a lot of pro players can't handle their wealth, just imagine college kids trying to handle it. Heaven help us.

hometown frog

I think this will be a very brief honeymoon period. Personally I prefer to give money to the school than directly to a player. First, it's potentially tax deductible (although there have been recent changes). Second, you at least have the feeling that the school has some responsibility to spend it wisely and fairly.

Money for NIL seems like a REALLY shaky proposition and when someone can directly see that money squandered (imagine the player you pay using the money to fly to Vegas and get arrested) I believe there will be quick corrections.

I assume that money that will go to NIL will directly reduce the money given to the school. That will create an interesting dynamic.
Agreed. The market will self adjust. Give it 2-3 recruiting cycles and I think it will stabilize from a total $$ perspective.

I think the newness part has too many of the money folks spending like a drunken sailor at the moment. They will sober up as you said and adjust the cash flow accordingly.

FrogCop19

Agreed. The market will self adjust. Give it 2-3 recruiting cycles and I think it will stabilize from a total $$ perspective.

I think the newness part has too many of the money folks spending like a drunken sailor at the moment. They will sober up as you said and adjust the cash flow accordingly.
Yes, 100% agreed.

Wexahu

Yes, there will be some interesting things that materialize.