• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Eight

This kid would be great in GPs system! We are late to the party on an offer. I would assume we wouldn’t offer unless there is some interest

i agree and am glad frogs doing some work in socal.

great deal of talent playing at a high level of competition that is open to leaving the state.

Salfrog

Tier 1

We know Cumbie can recruit QB's, but can he develop any one of them now that he has 3 that were 4 star recruits. At some point very very soon, he has to prove that he can also develop that talent. If not, then it's time to move on to someone else as OC.

With GP's defense, there is no reason we shouldn't be winning more games. We need an offense that compliments Gary's defense like we had with our Peach Bowl team.

MTfrog5

We know Cumbie can recruit QB's, but can he develop any one of them now that he has 3 that were 4 star recruits. At some point very very soon, he has to prove that he can also develop that talent. If not, then it's time to move on to someone else as OC.

With GP's defense, there is no reason we shouldn't be winning more games. We need an offense that compliments Gary's defense like we had with our Peach Bowl team.
I always find this criticism interesting regarding Cumbie developing QB’s. I thought Boykin and Hill improved a lot. Regarding Robinson, you can only do so much if the kid doesn’t do his part.

Eight

I always find this criticism interesting regarding Cumbie developing QB’s. I thought Boykin and Hill improved a lot. Regarding Robinson, you can only do so much if the kid doesn’t do his part.

a quick look at the numbers show that both boykin and hill saw improvements in completion percentage and quarterback ratings between their junior and senior seasons

boykin
2014 145.9 301-492-10 61.2% 3,901 yds. 33 td's
2015 161.5 257-396-10 64.9% 3,575 yds 31 td's

hill
2016 129.2 269-440-13 61.6% 3,208 yds. 17 td's
2017 148.4 269-400-8 67.2% 3.152 yds. 23 td's

the job is there for whomever is healthy and can execute the offense

Wexahu

Respectfully disagree concerning Hill. I think his improvement had more to do with the coaches pulling back the reins on him and turning him into mostly a game manager whose main priority was to avoid turnovers. I know it's a very touchy subject on here and people have very different opinions but that is mine.

CryptoMiner

Roger Rosengarten 6-7/275 OT/DE Highlands Ranch, CO (yeah that town but different school) Valor Christian-over 20 offers and counting and TCU should offer soon. No clear leader though Nebraska may have a slight edge.

CryptoMiner

Recently offered by Iowa St, Riden Leong 6-5/300 OT Orange Coast College, originally Oahu. Great feet and strength but technique needs some work.

Wexahu

So they developed him?

Not so much developed the player as much as dumbed down the offense more to protect said player from making critical mistakes. I don't think Hill's field vision, or instincts, or whatever you want to call those things that makes really good QBs really good, improved all that much from the game 1 until his career was finished.

I think initially the coaches had a lot of confidence in him and the game plans reflected that.....and it backfired because that confidence was mostly unwarranted. When they realized what they had, a QB that was very limited in the passing game and prone to big mistakes, and called games accordingly, his play "improved". But it had more to do with the coaches game planning around what he was capable of than him being a more capable QB.

If that's "developing" a player, yeah, I guess they developed him.

CryptoMiner

Need some more OL in this class and JUCO route may be taken. Another recommended by Donnie Woods at Iowa Western is Jacob Gamble 6-6/294 OT. Played one season at Ventura College before moving to IWCC. Recent offers include Kansas St and Louisville. Coach Woods was key in getting McKinney.

MTfrog5

Respectfully disagree concerning Hill. I think his improvement had more to do with the coaches pulling back the reins on him and turning him into mostly a game manager whose main priority was to avoid turnovers. I know it's a very touchy subject on here and people have very different opinions but that is mine.
I agree but don’t you have to give credit for playing to Hill’s strength instead of forcing plays that Hill won’t do as well? And I would consider that developing him because he did a lot better job at not turning the ball over the 2nd year.

Froggish

I think the argument is that with both Boykin and Hill, Cumbie got two QBs that had a fair amount of development invested in them before he ever got a hold of them. The maturation of a QB has as much to do with experience as it does the coach coaching him. Both of those QBs had been in a college football program for 2 years. When looking through that perspective, at least some of the questioning of Cumbie’s abilities makes since.

MTfrog5

I think the argument is that with both Boykin and Hill, Cumbie got two QBs that had a fair amount of development invested in them before he ever got a hold of them. The maturation of a QB has as much to do with experience as it does the coach coaching him. Both of those QBs had been in a college football program for 2 years. When looking through that perspective, at least some of the questioning of Cumbie’s abilities makes since.
So you think Boykin makes the same jump from 2013 to 2014 if we had the same QB coach?

Ron Swanson

So you think Boykin makes the same jump from 2013 to 2014 if we had the same QB coach?
I think it was way more about the new offensive scheme with Meacham and Cumbie as Co-OC’s than it was Cumbie specifically teaching Boykin how to play QB as his position coach.

Boykin showed lots of flashes in 2012 & 2013, but the offensive system was so incredibly inept, no QB could have succeeded.

MTfrog5

I think it was way more about the new offensive scheme with Meacham and Cumbie as Co-OC’s than it was Cumbie specifically teaching Boykin how to play QB as his position coach.

Boykin showed lots of flashes in 2012 & 2013, but the offensive system was so incredibly inept, no QB could have succeeded.
Agreed but just to give an example, I remember them talking about how they really worked on deceiving with the QB eyes to help look people off. Boykin did a really good job with his eyes by still being able to see the WR while keeping his helmet in line with the middle of the field.

netty2424

I agree but don’t you have to give credit for playing to Hill’s strength instead of forcing plays that Hill won’t do as well? And I would consider that developing him because he did a lot better job at not turning the ball over the 2nd year.
I agree with 99.9% of your thoughts, but not sure I follow this line of thinking.

Pulling back an offense to fit a QB due to lack of arm strength or speed or whatever the reason would be, is a smart coaching move. 100%.

But I’m not sure that falls under developing a kid.

If SR stays here and in year 2(technically 3 as he got garbage time as a freshman, and assuming he puts the work in) he cuts his turnovers by 60-70% by teaching him how to better read defenses, but not adjusting game plan, then I’d say he helped develop the player.

If he decides to run the ball 75/25 to keep the decision making out of SR hands, I don’t think that’s developing him.