• The KillerFrogs

2019 TCU Tennis Thread

Longfrog

Any insight into the intriguing matchups to keep an eye on?

For UT, Sigsgaard is very good, so court 1 vs Rybo should be interesting. I think their best player is actually Ito on court 2, which is why I'm not feeling too confident in that matchup. Also, Gray kind of drives me crazy with shot selection sometimes... not that I know better. I've probably enjoyed the experience of watching Fomba (#5) more than anyone else on the team this year. Kind of a weird game... he looks gangly on the court but a real shot maker and just a freshman.

Longfrog

Welp. Won the first set on 1 and in a tiebreaker on 3. Down a set everywhere else. It felt like there were tons of break opportunities, esp. on courts 2 & 3. Kruger on 4 was a up a break at one point and promptly lost serve before going down in a tiebreaker.

Longfrog

4-1 final. They were too good. We'll have some guys competing in the individual competitions next week. Rybakov in singles is probably the best chance there.

Longfrog

Yesterday Alex Rybakov advanced to the semifinals of the national singles tournament. He beat Will Blumberg of UNC, who is one of the best players in the country and who reached the finals of this tournament as a freshman two years ago. Next up for Rybo is a rematch with the #1 ranked player in the country, Nuno Borges of Miss State. Rybo won their first match this year, and was close to winning the second when it was halted, but Borges won the most recent meeting pretty handily. Borges has been on an incredible roll... he's undefeated since losing to Rybo in January. He's pretty much manhandled his first three opponents in this tournament.

Match is at 3 central on the tennis channel. I believe the winner of this tournament gets an automatic entry to the US Open. That's pretty valuable for anyone, but especially for a senior like Rybo as he gets set to embark on his pro career.