• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

LawFrog504

As weird as it sounds, I think a highly qualified and experienced Special Teams coach and great WR coach would Damn near cure a lot of what has ailed us over the years...
Completely agree. It's downright deplorable how bad our kicking situation has been the past 4 years and even more deplorable that nothing has been made of it. Bunce starts the bowl game with a kickoff out of bounds? You can point to 6-7 games we have lost in the past 3-4 years because of the kicker. It's inexcusable at this point for a program at our level.
The receivers coaches may be even worse. t's abysmal what they did to Isaiah Graham. We don't have a single capable receiver on this roster outside of Reagor. We successfully blew the redshirt of John Stephens Jr even with 4 mulligans. Consistency gave Austin and Stewart snaps over way more talented freshman and younger kids even though Austin didn't get open one time in 4 years. Really hope we get someone in here this offseason, as it will make whoever is our QB's life incredibly easier. Imagine what this offense could be with Anderson/Sewo and another receiver to take attention from Reagor

Wexahu

Other than Turpin, the special teams units were very average at best. But most years under GP we've had some of the best special teams units in the country. Seems like a very what have you done for me lately mentality to start crushing him now for special teams stuff.

I've always thought our coverage teams are very good and Turpin was obviously a great punt returner. The kicker and punter though have been kind of afterthoughts it seems and it has burned us a few times in the past couple years. And I gotta say, this year's punt return strategy confused the heck out of me on way more than a few occasions. We'd have them pinned back pretty deep inside their own territory on 4th and pretty long in obvious non-fake situations, and I'd watch our line make absolutely no effort to either block the punt or block any coverage team players from running straight down the field. Returner would either fair catch or have absolutely nowhere to go because the 10 other guys basically did nothing. I'm not exaggerating either, it was like WTH are they doing? Either try and block the punt or set up a return. We did neither, just extremely lazy looking play that looked like almost a give up.

Someone with more football knowledge can maybe explain that to me but to my eyes it made no sense.

texas_sicilian

Completely agree. It's downright deplorable how bad our kicking situation has been the past 4 years and even more deplorable that nothing has been made of it. Bunce starts the bowl game with a kickoff out of bounds? You can point to 6-7 games we have lost in the past 3-4 years because of the kicker. It's inexcusable at this point for a program at our level.
The receivers coaches may be even worse. t's abysmal what they did to Isaiah Graham. We don't have a single capable receiver on this roster outside of Reagor. We successfully blew the redshirt of John Stephens Jr even with 4 mulligans. Consistency gave Austin and Stewart snaps over way more talented freshman and younger kids even though Austin didn't get open one time in 4 years. Really hope we get someone in here this offseason, as it will make whoever is our QB's life incredibly easier. Imagine what this offense could be with Anderson/Sewo and another receiver to take attention from Reagor
Bad look for us fans your espousing. And your first post is this? Questionable motive. These kids are working their butts off.

I don’t blame the players, but there is clearly a coaching issue, as it spans multiple seasons and players.

We have no shortage of talent, including the recently graduated.

It will be sorted out, one way or another.

Last edited:

Purp

Hyperbole much? We have far better WR talent you suggest. Might help to take the emotion out before posting. And Bunce's KO out of bounds was not a bad plat by Bunce, but an outrageously great play by the returner.

I'd also contend that a QB that responds to coaching and puts in all the extra work to be a leader would make the OCs' and other offensive players' lives a lot easier.

Purp

I think this is complete hyperbole. Which 6-7 games?

I can think of this year's Tech, Tech 2 years ago, and the block against Arky. That's 3, and being generous. Four years ago we had Oberkrom.
To be honest, that was the only point in his post I didn't think was hyperbolic. The three games you mentioned are for sure, but there have been others. I seem to remember one due to a missed PAT. Whether kicking woes have directly resulted in losses at the end of games or put us in positions late in games to be more risky resulting in losses, we have definitely had plenty more than 3 games in recent years that can attribute losses to the kicking game.

froginmn

To be honest, that was the only point in his post I didn't think was hyperbolic. The three games you mentioned are for sure, but there have been others. I seem to remember one due to a missed PAT. Whether kicking woes have directly resulted in losses at the end of games or put us in positions late in games to be more risky resulting in losses, we have definitely had plenty more than 3 games in recent years that can attribute losses to the kicking game.
Maybe, but we've only lost 8 games the last four years by fewer than 12 points.

I don't think this year's KU can be blamed on kicking, or last year's ISU, or either close OU loss, or the Liberty Bowl against Georgia.

That leaves 3. And the Arky miss was a block.

And we beat KSU because of their XP miss. Haven't missed one in a close loss.

I honestly think the kicking game is a spot where people magnify mistakes.

Wexahu

I honestly think the kicking game is a spot where people magnify mistakes.

Agreed, and I think Song is an average to above average college kicker that won't cost you many, if any, games. He just needs to be the kicker, period. The punting might be a bigger issue, our guy just couldn't really boom a kick to when we needed to flip field position, and I think we had at least a couple blocked. Hard to quantify how important that is exactly, but hopefully we got it fixed.

flyfishingfrog

I wonder how all of those that hate our kicking game would have felt about GP if he had been the kind of coach that pulled Song's scholarship when he was "hurt'?

I realize we have coaches that are not ideal in their positions and we have players that don't always perform - but some of you are acting like our kicking staff or players has cost us a conference title or a shot at the CFP, which just isn't accurate. Have we lost a few games because of it- maybe. Have we lost a lot more because of other areas of need - definitely.

And anyone who watches knows that GP's perspective on punts is to not risk a turnover - either from a bad return or from getting a penalty during the kick that gives the offense the ball back. So we are milk toast on punts at all times and have been for years.

Wexahu

And anyone who watches knows that GP's perspective on punts is to not risk a turnover - either from a bad return or from getting a penalty during the kick that gives the offense the ball back. So we are milk toast on punts at all times and have been for years.

I can understand not trying to block punts because all too often I've seen untimely roughing penalties on the punter, but I don't understand making no effort to set up a return when they are punting inside their 30-yard line, especially when your offense is struggling, like ours was for the better part of the year. What are you risking at that point?

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I can understand not trying to block punts because all too often I've seen untimely roughing penalties on the punter, but I don't understand making no effort to set up a return when they are punting inside their 30-yard line, especially when your offense is struggling, like ours was for the better part of the year. What are you risking at that point?
TCU was 7th nationally in long punt returns this season. Blocking must have been decent at a minimum. This includes 7 returns over 50 yards, which is more than any other team.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category33/sort01.html

flyfishingfrog

illegal block in the back that costs you 10 yards, personal fouls, fumble, etc.

I think in Gary's mind - we stopped them and are getting ball back so don't f' it up unless everything is perfect.

I didn't say I agree with it - but he has become more reserve over the years after the Fiesta Bowl fake punt and the dropped punt at the BWW Bowl plus a host of other mishaps on ST.

I would agree that a good ST coach could probably sway his thinking but we only have so many coaches and he evidently sees needs in other areas.

Wexahu

TCU was 7th nationally in long punt returns this season. Blocking must have been decent at a minimum. This includes 7 returns over 50 yards, which is more than any other team.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category33/sort01.html

And 5th in punt return average, which actually is shocking to me. I stand corrected I guess, but I can't tell you how many times I looked at what we were doing and was completely confused because there was no effort to set up a return. Let's just say I think we could've done even better!