• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

Even if you think Somg is better, Frogs should get this kid and redshirt him unless they’ve got a cinch for next year that’s better.
He won't pay to come to TCU because he has other offers - believe me I have tried to tell the parents they can afford one year (easy for me to say) at TCU. But his folks are practical and as much as they want him to kick at TCU he still will take the best offer.

Moose Stuff

He won't pay to come to TCU because he has other offers - believe me I have tried to tell the parents they can afford one year (easy for me to say) at TCU. But his folks are practical and as much as they want him to kick at TCU he still will take the best offer.

Agree with the parents here. I wouldn’t spend one cent on TCU if my kid had a full scholarship somewhere else.

frog-hat

I asked JC about Kell over at 247.
I didn’t say gray shirt him. I said full scholly, but if song is better next year then redshirt him next year. He’ll still have 4 years which is what a kicker we recruit next year will have. So if we don’t have a better kicking recruit prospect next year, and we seem to have available schollies this year, we should offer

Last edited:

froginmn

Redshirt doesn't mean "not on scholarship"?

Punter1

Greyshirt for Kell seems like a good option...he shows up in January. Our two scholarship guys are gone...

And let me say as a former kicker/punter here I dont think our kicking situation is nearly as bad as people think. Coming into this season kicking was considered a strength...Bunce and Song both had very good 2017 seasons. Song was 8 for 8 before he got hurt and Bunce was 6 for 7 afterward...including a clutch kick that won the Alamo Bowl.

Then with both being healthy this year GP alternated them from game to game and in the case of the bowl...within the same play. That darned up sequence was a microcosm of how we handled the kickers this year and the result was predictable. I can tell you as a kicker that is maddening and takes a toll on performance.

In short...both Bunce and Song ARE good kickers. They need to be managed right..which isnt that darning difficult...and good results will follow.

Raw Frog

My sense was that Song was a stronger and more reliable kicker for field goals. As for kickoffs, none of our guys could consistently get a touchback, and our FGs had to be limited to around 40 yards. My impression.
I would like to know what the story is on the bowl game "cluster kick".

Wexahu

Greyshirt for Kell seems like a good option...he shows up in January. Our two scholarship guys are gone...

And let me say as a former kicker/punter here I dont think our kicking situation is nearly as bad as people think. Coming into this season kicking was considered a strength...Bunce and Song both had very good 2017 seasons. Song was 8 for 8 before he got hurt and Bunce was 6 for 7 afterward...including a clutch kick that won the Alamo Bowl.

Then with both being healthy this year GP alternated them from game to game and in the case of the bowl...within the same play. That darned up sequence was a microcosm of how we handled the kickers this year and the result was predictable. I can tell you as a kicker that is maddening and takes a toll on performance.

In short...both Bunce and Song ARE good kickers. They need to be managed right..which isnt that darning difficult...and good results will follow.

Sometimes I get the feeling GP almost takes some enjoyment in seeing them struggle. His demeanor around them kind of gives off an I only put up with you because I have to vibe. Mainly with kickers though because bad punting hurts the defense.

netty2424

I didn’t say gray shirt him. I said full scholly, but if somg is better next year the redshirt him next year. He’ll have 4 years which is what’s a kicker we recruit next year will have. So if we don’t have somebody better next year, and we seem to have available schollies this year, we should offer
*Song

Assumed it was a fat finger thing the first time. But saw it in your follow up post. Still may be a fat finger post, but thought it was worth pointing out in case it wasn’t.