• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

Fosterpark Squatter

The teams that are playing at the end have very highly rated classes. Highly rated classes do not equate to titles, but titles have not been won without them. Someone (perhaps us) will break through eventually, but it will not be even remotely sustainable in the absence of very good recruiting classes year after year after year.....
Was a different time without the internet but the Miami teams in the 80s never had top recruiting classes per the services of the time.

Wexahu

If he were a wide receiver or a DB it wouldn’t really be that big a deal. The issue is that most of our problems for the past three seasons can be blamed at least partially on OL play, and to combat this we need a pipeline of talented linemen going through. Losing Coker doesn’t hurt us at all next season, and maybe not in 2020, but it hurts us down the road when the guys we have today graduate and we don’t have talent ready to replace them. And Coker has the potential to be a major impact player for us - he’s a great talent that is underrated by the recruiting services.

Why do the recruiting services underrate him? Not trying to be a smart ass, but based on how badly he’s being pursued, why the relatively low rating? Is it a case where the ratings don’t get updated often enough?

netty2424

Why do the recruiting services underrate him? Not trying to be a smart ass, but based on how badly he’s being pursued, why the relatively low rating? Is it a case where the ratings don’t get updated often enough?
The better question would be, what are his credentials in providing star ratings for offensive linemen.

CryptoMiner

Forgive me if I don't lose sleep over this.

He won't be the first recruit we lose to the Whorns and he won't be the last. At the same time, I thought he loved TCU and GP. If his trainer and his parents want him in Austin, then that is where he will go. Period. Next recruit/man up.

The key to next year will be how well our returning OL play and how they develop over the offseason. It would suck to lose Coker, but I still have faith in Thomsen. We have a great track record of placing OL in the NFL and if he doesn't want to be a part of that chain, then so be it.Best of luck to him and I hope our DTs kick his butt the next four years if he chooses to go to UT.

His mom Candace (Coker’s) is very much on board with TCU and probably a much greater influence in his recruiting than Stanley (dad) or trainer. Not saying she told him to decommit from Florida when he did but she was part of it at the time.

Despite the timing and the noise from UT sites I think he sticks. Obvious not based on what is going on but based on the kid and his mom.

As far as T Brown it has been known for a while he was going to be a longshot. I expect he will double sign and we can hope for a miracle finish.

Don’t worry about Barlow. Miles is new game in town and expect him to push hard for a splash. We can only watch and hope.

Last edited:

Eight

andrew wasn't in many good shape up to last year so as a junior he was a big kid who in all honesty played without much passion and didn't show much agility.

new coach comes into taylor and you start seeing a bit of a change from the overall program, coker drops some serious weight, his feet get quicker, he becomes more physical, and he becomes a better prospect.

funny thing is mensa and his offensive coaches had to know about him while they were at uh and after, but didn't have much interest until he started showing up last spring, tcu had been on him before the big change, but so had florida who he was originally committed to before he flipped to tcu.

i still think williams has a higher ceiling, but i would love to see both sign with the frogs.

sun is going to come up either which way and his signing doesn't fix the bigger problems to me faced by the frogs and those won't be worsened by his flipping elsewhere unless he was going to play offensive tackle, quarterback, or linebacker.

CryptoMiner

andrew wasn't in many good shape up to last year so as a junior he was a big kid who in all honesty played without much passion and didn't show much agility.

new coach comes into taylor and you start seeing a bit of a change from the overall program, coker drops some serious weight, his feet get quicker, he becomes more physical, and he becomes a better prospect.

funny thing is mensa and his offensive coaches had to know about him while they were at uh and after, but didn't have much interest until he started showing up last spring, tcu had been on him before the big change, but so had florida who he was originally committed to before he flipped to tcu.

i still think williams has a higher ceiling, but i would love to see both sign with the frogs.

sun is going to come up either which way and his signing doesn't fix the bigger problems to me faced by the frogs and those won't be worsened by his flipping elsewhere unless he was going to play offensive tackle, quarterback, or linebacker.

TCU, Florida, Miami and many others were all over this kid after his soph year. He committed to Florida after his junior year.

Moose Stuff

Was a different time without the internet but the Miami teams in the 80s never had top recruiting classes per the services of the time.

Off the subject some, but the Internet has DRASTICALLY changed recruiting. It’s made it much easier for the lazy staffs to recruit and much harder for staff’s like ours to find kids before other schools do and hold on to them without the other schools finding them. Myron Warren for example.

Boomhauer

peeking-gif-7.gif

tetonfrog

His mom Candace (Coker’s) is very much on board with TCU and probably a much greater influence in his recruiting than Stanley (dad) or trainer. Not saying she told him to decommit from Florida when he did but she was part of it at the time.

Despite the timing and the noise from UT sites I think he sticks. Obvious not based on what is going on but based on the kid and his mom.

I hope you are right. Coker could be another Frog OL in the NFL in a few years if he stays on the righteous path. I just won't get bent out of shape if he flips to UT. But it sounds like he has the Frog factor and could excel at TCU.