• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

CountryFrog

I can assure you if we lost our top 6 recruits it would be an absolute disaster. I’m assuming we all still aspire to be a double digit win on a yearly basis type program. If we’re OK with 5-7 wins every year then I guess it wouldn’t be.
Disaster, though? I mean it's 3 guys in high school. For all we know none of them will actually be any good. I'm certainly not saying that I don't think they will be good, just saying we don't KNOW that. So disaster seems incredibly hyperbolic.

If I wake up tomorrow to find out that GP is now coaching Baylor and has taken Jalen Reagor, Ross Blacklock, and Jeff Gladney with him then I'll call that a disaster.

CountryFrog

If you find it entertaining to be deficient relative to the top teams in the sport, then you have a different goal in mind than me for what we're trying to do. If you're ok with losing to OU and frankly getting completely outclassed by them three straight games, then you have different goals for our program than me. I'm glad you find that entertaining. It must have been a hoot for you losing to Tech and Kansas and being completely dominated by one of the teams that you mention. Talent and depth are pretty important to addressing that and last I looked, that is largely addressed through the recruiting process.
I don't think anyone had said that it's ok to lose to OU. I'm just not making the direct connection between these three players (or any 3 for that matter) and our ability to compete with OU going forward.

Moose Stuff

Disaster, though? I mean it's 3 guys in high school. For all we know none of them will actually be any good. I'm certainly not saying that I don't think they will be good, just saying we don't KNOW that. So disaster seems incredibly hyperbolic.

If I wake up tomorrow to find out that GP is now coaching Baylor and has taken Jalen Reagor, Ross Blacklock, and Jeff Gladney with him then I'll call that a disaster.

You just described a disaster for our program. I said this specific recruiting class would be a disaster.

Moose Stuff

I don't think anyone had said that it's ok to lose to OU. I'm just not making the direct connection between these three players (or any 3 for that matter) and our ability to compete with OU going forward.

The only way to compete with OU is to sign players that are good enough to do it. If we beat OU next year chances are it’s gonna be because of guys like Blacklock, Rogers, Anderson, Gaines, Reagor, etc.... all 4 star guys. I would argue that the only real difference maker on our team that wasn’t highly rated was Gladney and I believe he was hurt his senior year. If we beat OU again in 2021 there’s a really good chance that it will have something to do with Duggan, Foster, Barlow, Coker, Brown, Johnson..... that’s just how it is.

CountryFrog

You just described a disaster for our program. I said this specific recruiting class would be a disaster.
Fair enough. I guess I'm just not ever going to get worked up AT ALL about the decisions of 17 and 18 year olds. I understand the importance of it, but the truth is none of us actually know how good any of them will be in college. I'm sure we all would've been upset about having Shawn Robinson flip a few years ago and now he's gone anyway and most don't care too much.

I like following our commits so that when they get to TCU I have some background on them and they're not just all numbers on a jersey out there. Maybe I'm just not enough of a hard core recruiting fan to participate in this particular discussion so I'll go ahead and bow out and wait for the next actual game on a field to take place.

CountryFrog

The only way to compete with OU is to sign players that are good enough to do it. If we beat OU next year chances are it’s gonna be because of guys like Blacklock, Rogers, Anderson, Gaines, Reagor, etc.... all 4 star guys. I would argue that the only real difference maker on our team that wasn’t highly rated was Gladney and I believe he was hurt his senior year. If we beat OU again in 2021 there’s a really good chance that it will have something to do with Duggan, Foster, Barlow, Coker, Brown, Johnson..... that’s just how it is.
Your first sentence is obvious and inarguable. My final (and really only) point is that none of us actually have any idea which players from this or any other recruiting class out in the future will actually become the players who are able to compete at that level. So calling the loss of any recruit(s) a disaster is total hyperbole imo. Obviously I don't WANT to lose any recruits, but it's going to happen to varying degrees every single year.

Moose Stuff

Fair enough. I guess I'm just not ever going to get worked up AT ALL about the decisions of 17 and 18 year olds. I understand the importance of it, but the truth is none of us actually know how good any of them will be in college. I'm sure we all would've been upset about having Shawn Robinson flip a few years ago and now he's gone anyway and most don't care too much.

I like following our commits so that when they get to TCU I have some background on them and they're not just all numbers on a jersey out there. Maybe I'm just not enough of a hard core recruiting fan to participate in this particular discussion so I'll go ahead and bow out and wait for the next actual game on a field to take place.

I like to use recruiting as an indicator of the current state of the program. When the highly recruited HS kids are interested then things are going well. When they aren’t.... to me that’s a sign the program is trending the wrong way and that can be real tough to overcome for a school like us. Think back to last year at this same time. Granted we didn’t actually sign any of them, but we had Jamarr Chase (LSU), Eddie Smith (Bama), and Aaron Brule (Miss St) in for a visit and had a legit shot at all 3. The only uncommitted players on our campus right now are a couple random JUCO guys. Doesn’t necessarily mean anything but I don’t like what it suggests.

Moose Stuff

Your first sentence is obvious and inarguable. My final (and really only) point is that none of us actually have any idea which players from this or any other recruiting class out in the future will actually become the players who are able to compete at that level. So calling the loss of any recruit(s) a disaster is total hyperbole imo. Obviously I don't WANT to lose any recruits, but it's going to happen to varying degrees every single year.

Sure, that could all be true. But I don’t see any way possible to sustain success by signing 20 HS kids with mediocre ratings/offer sheets and crossing your fingers that half of them turn out way better than you thought they would. As an example, Andy Dalton..... there’s some luck involved in stuff like that. No way we recruited that guy thinking he was staring at a 10 plus year NFL career in a few years. We would have still had success without him but we never would have won the Rose Bowl.

netty2424

I like to use recruiting as an indicator of the current state of the program. When the highly recruited HS kids are interested then things are going well. When they aren’t.... to me that’s a sign the program is trending the wrong way and that can be real tough to overcome for a school like us. Think back to last year at this same time. Granted we didn’t actually sign any of them, but we had Jamarr Chase (LSU), Eddie Smith (Bama), and Aaron Brule (Miss St) in for a visit and had a legit shot at all 3. The only uncommitted players on our campus right now are a couple random JUCO guys. Doesn’t necessarily mean anything but I don’t like what it suggests.
Forgot about Eddie Smith. Got time in 5 games this year. Mizzou, Arky, Vol’s, Citadel, and Rajun Cajuns of Louisiana.

Burned his shirt.

Paint It Purple

Punter highlight reel!!!

1246578.gif
That's awesome. I needed a good laugh.

Hard to fathom why a young prospect would commit to a university and then at the last minute suddenly withdraw.

Apparently, for 'some' 17-18 year olds a commitment has little value.

Dogfrog

You can argue that the 2010 undefeated Rose Bowl team got lucky with Dalton but Dalton didn’t win those games alone. It is legitimate to argue that team played a lower level of competition but what about 2014? This was our best team ever - should have been in playoff and killed in the Peach Bowl. That season was against Big 12 competition. The last several seasons we have had higher rated classes but I would argue our program has not necessarily progressed with those players. Recruiting is super important but the recruit rankings are a bit of a crapshoot.

Wexahu

You can argue that the 2010 undefeated Rose Bowl team got lucky with Dalton but Dalton didn’t win those games alone. It is legitimate to argue that team played a lower level of competition but what about 2014? This was our best team ever - should have been in playoff and killed in the Peach Bowl. That season was against Big 12 competition. The last several seasons we have had higher rated classes but I would argue our program has not necessarily progressed with those players. Recruiting is super important but the recruit rankings are a bit of a crapshoot.

Getting the guys that everyone else wants too creates it's own set of issues, there's no doubt about that. There is definitely something to be said for coaching a bunch of overlooked kids with chips on their shoulder vs the kid whose been told his [ Finebaum ] doesn't stink since he was 15 years old......but ultimately to have sustained success in the Big 12 we're going to have to keep upgrading the talent and depth so we're just going to have to learn to play that game and figure out how to manage the situations that come about with entitled kids.